Thread: 24V counters

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 24V counters

I have come across a source of several 24V counters. I am playing with one to see exactly how it does its counting and will let everyone know....

For those of you interested in a counter on your hopper coin dispenser projects, this might work. The only downside is that its not resetable.

cmk
    7 Pachislos, 1 vintage Pachinko; ask about 'em.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 24V counters

Okey dokey... The skinny on the counters....

They are 24V, 6 digit counters. The face is 1 5/16" X 1 1/16". There are two screw holes in the upper corners so that when a faceplate is put in front of it, these two screw holes would hold it in. Unit is 2 3/16" deep with two leads coming out the back.

The counter is NOT resetable, but I haven't crushed the case off yet to see what kind of goodies are inside this thing.

Counter works by applying a 24V signal to it. One ON/OFF cycle of the voltage will increase the counter by one no matter how long the voltage is applied.

I will effort a photo this evening once I get home from the lab. If anybody is interested in playing with one of these just pop me a PM and we'll work out getting you one or more. I can get my fingers on about 30 of them, so that should be enough for anyone who wants to play.

Keep an eye out for a photo this evening....

cmk

Edit by Slotter -- Photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by slotter; 06-23-2005 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have one of these myself and I am going to get around one of these days to hook it up to the hopper through the optical switch on it, so that no momentary switch needs to be used like in the other thread... As soon as I find it (I just moved - it's around here somewhere) I will try to get it together and of course post pics (maybe vids) for everyone.

Jeff
    Pachislo: CC Angel, King Camel, MuMu World DX, Marine Carnival, Double Challenge, Savannah Park, Don Chan, Spin Luck #000256, Aladdin II Evolution
    Pachinko: Super Stadium

Thanks
    Thanks Received

On the Pashilos there is a set of 3 connectors that I believe are designed for a battle counter. If you find a pin that gives 24v then you might be able to trigger this. Alternatively if you find 2 pins that simply close you could rig up a relay to trigger the counter with a 24v line run from the transformer.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you click on this link, you will be able to connect the counter to the correct reel stop board. I installed 2 counters on my Babel. I was only able to get the out counter to work.

http://www.pachislousa.com/bbs2/pics/countingmeters.htm

AL
    *Babel*Azteca Legend*

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Are these 24 volt AC or 24 volt DC meters? If DC then are they with internal diode or without internal diode? What brand are these meters? Metal cased or plastic cased?
    Carbon Arc---the light that's bright is the light that's right!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ken,

These are 24VDC (1.5W) counters. They are solenoid driven mechanical counters with no diode. But if you tie in to the control board as mentioned earlier you get a 24VDC signal and don't need a diode.

The case is black plastic. They were manufactured by Durant Eaton Corp near here in Watertown, WI. If you can find datasheets the part number is 6-Y-41623-426-SEU.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions just ask.

cmk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A dc meter needs a diode for protection of the meter driver electronics from the back EMF voltage generated by the meter coil.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Um, ok. Just so we're on the same page; this is a mechanical meter. The ONLY electrical thing inside is the solenoid. When it fires it moves a little plastic arm that actuates the mechanical numbers.

I'm certinaly no electronics expert, but I have these things hooked up to several of my machines as is with no troubles. Being only a solenoid it would be darn near impossible to hurt the thing with the voltages floating around inside the pachi. And at $3, I wouldn't care if it did.

I noticed that the pictures that I posted above of the counter are no longer there. I will try to get new ones up this evening.

cmk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I know what a coin counting meter is. I've installed thousands of them in commercial arcade video games over the past 20 years. I installed a diode on most of them (except for ones labeled "with internal diode"). Regardless of coil voltage, the back EMF voltage from the collapsing magnetic field of each meter pulse can easily reach 1,000 volts spikes. Sure _you_ could put a meter in without a diode, but in my expert opinion I would not.

Look in many commercial coin-op video arcade games and you will either find a meter with an internal diode or a seperate 1N4007 diode installed somewhere in the cabinet wiring harness. This is to protect the meter driver transistor from shorting.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So stick a diode on it and call it a day. I guess I'm failing to see the problem here. This thread was originally in response to those who were simply looking for 24VDC counters cheap. I found a supply of them. I could really care less what people do with them or how they do it, but I have some thoughts on the matter.

cmk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The good thing about living in the U.S.A. and Pachitalk is,

We all have the chance to agree or disagree on something.

If we always agreeded the world and Pachitalk would be a bit more boring.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ken is absolutely correct about the back EMF from a collapsing magnetic field, and I'm sure he's suggesting the extra few cents spent to protect the electronics driving that counter, and your pachislo... not the counter itself.

His experience in these matters speaks for itself, and I certainly respect his knowledge and past contributions in threads like this.

So if anyone is considering this method, with THESE counters or ANY others that are solenoid driven... take his advice and spend the extra few pennies if you want to save yourself headaches in the future. If it's not labeled as "with internal diode", use one. Unless, of course, you enjoy repairing things.
    Thanks for the advice, Ken. Glad to see you posting again!
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm merely pointing out that if anyone uses any electromechanical counting meter (such as these), an investment in a 5 cent diode will protect your sensitive (and expensive) electronics on the control board. A person is free to either use or not use a diode across the meter coil, but if it were me, I'd put in a diode.

I've already seen several instances in Jamma video game cabinets where the owner had simply slapped in a meter with no diode protection. Needless to say the meter driver circuitry shorted one day the first time he put a quarter in and the meter counted. The owner learned a hard lesson when I had to repair his board _and_ re-wire his cabinet correctly. It cost him plenty.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sounds like just plain ol' good advice, Ken.
    Check my member page here or...

Temporarily, go to youtube.com and search for BudgeRahe for videos. Until I get the links set up in the museum