Thread: Nail Cleaning Ins-and-Outs see what I did there

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Nail Cleaning Ins-and-Outs see what I did there

Okay, so those who have been following closely, (and if not, WHY not?!) are aware that I am preparing to tackle my family’s Sanyo Bussan Model B “Three Spinner” sometime this summer.

I’ve been fretting about the nails.

Originally, I had planned to just leave them tarnished, but I’m starting to feel bad as I see all the beautifully restored machines. I don’t want to replace the cell, so polishing the nails seems like one of the bigger opportunities to put some “wow” back into the presentation.

Because I’m not in the same location as my machine, I spent the last few months misremembering the make; believing it was a Sankyo. From watching Dan’s videos, I learned Sankyo’s can have very brittle playfield veneers, and that pulling the nails in those cases could be severely damaging.

Now, since I got my brother to take some pictures, I have realized I don’t have a Sankyo but and Sanyo, but this trepidation about pulling and replacing the nails has gotten rooted into my consciousness.

All this preamble is to ask a fairly simple question: To polish in place or to pull and replace?

I do have (what seems to be) a fairly robust tumbler, so it seems like the definitively better polish will come from pulling and tumbling them, but I’m questioning if that’s worth it? It seems like the potential pitfalls are greater - causing damage in the pulling or reseating, altering playability by screwing up the angles of the nails, etc. I have no specialized tools for this job, and I’m not in the market for a $250 nail gauge kit.

I’m attaching pics to show the current state of my nails. Any suggestions, reflections, advice much appreciated.
    IMG_5225.jpgIMG_8659.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by barnfry; 03-06-2021 at 03:36 PM.