Thread: Heiwa Battle counter setup help

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Heiwa Battle counter setup help

Hi all, I was given a basic Heiwa battle counter a long time ago but never got around to hooking it up. I’ve got 20+ machines to try to hook it up on; 3 are Heiwas so I hope it will work.

Problem is I have no instructions and there’s just a rats nest of 10+ different wires coming out of it (removed from a parlor) and I don’t know which wires are for parlor systems and which are supposed to be connected to the battle counter connections. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Heiwa Battle counter setup help

For a standard modern. You need 4 pairs.
    2 for power.
    2 for reel spins/start pocket
    2 for Ootari.
    2 for high Probability mode.

The power is normally red and yellow.
    The rest. I will have to look up. Although there is nothing to say. These have standard wiring colours.
    Also Some pachis and counters use a 0v switch to trigger the counters and some use voltage.

The rest of the wires. Might be for networking the sensors, or through outputs to top or aisle lamps. Then some have door alarm inputs as well.
    Last edited by Drunkenclam; 04-04-2020 at 05:14 PM.
    Ian #UKPachinko

3. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There’s 17 different wires coming out of this thing and 5 of them are red. I swear, it’s like they intentionally make them to be as confusing as possible to install! it’s like some sort of brain teaser riddle. Now I remember why I gave up the first time I tried!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You might be better served with a Daiichi if you really want counters. They have an excellent support web site with hookup instructions for most manufacturers. Heiwa doesn't list counters on their web site at all that I could see, so maybe they left that business. Anyhow, the Daiichi site is here if you want to look at it: http://www.daiichi.net/material/detaromaterial.html

I have sourced a number of Daiichi counters via FromJapan at really excellent prices, and have also gotten some from Modern Pachinko and Plasma Infusion. I've settled on the DLP-8 with the LED display, not the earlier vacuum fluorescent. As prices drop, I may upgrade to the more modern tablet-style but that's a ways out yet.

If you have to use the Heiwa, first order of business will be determining which leads supply power. After that, I'd meter the remaining leads looking for any other power sources, just in case. After that, you may be able to short wires together until you locate the 3 pairs you really need.

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Toyguy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If there are no markings on the wires, it may be worth opening up the battle counter and looking at where each wire goes on the circuit board. They are often marked with their function on the PCB, and even if they are not, you may be able to make an educated guess based on what they are connected to.

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here's the colours as used by both Daiichi and Asahi

ootari Red and White
    Start Blue and Yellow
    High Prob Black and brown

Although, those colours are mostly only strips on white cables
    Ian #UKPachinko

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    If there are no markings on the wires, it may be worth opening up the battle counter and looking at where each wire goes on the circuit board. They are often marked with their function on the PCB, and even if they are not, you may be able to make an educated guess based on what they are connected to.
    I was able to open it up pretty easily; however I’m not sure if this one is junk (there’s a few cut wires from one connector) and 4 connectors are missing.

Missing connectors are labeled “CN6”, “3CN6”, “CN5” and “3N7” (if that means anything to anyone)

I noticed on the left there’s a connector with black, yellow, purple, blue, green, red, and brown wires coming similar to what Clam mentioned for displaying various data, those wires come out in an 7 pin connector (but only has 5 wires in it) and a 2 pin connector (black and yellow)

These are the only labeled wires; any idea what this indicates or should these be ignored?
    Last edited by lotsoballs; 04-05-2020 at 11:28 AM.

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

スタート= Start
    大当り = ootari = Jackpot
    Ian #UKPachinko

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I wouldn't worry about the cut wires or missing connectors, Battle counters are made for pachinko or pachislo machines, and the differences are usually not much more than the wiring harnesses used, so the missing connectors might be used for Pachislo counters and are not needed for pachinkos.

It's difficult to see where the wires terminate on the PCBs in your pictures, but, you've got two out of the three inputs identified by the labels on the wires. I'd take a guess that the missing input (Kakuhen) is on the green/black pair. If another wire has a similar two pin connector with brown/red wires spliced onto the end of it (matching the 'start' and 'ooatari' ones), then that's most likely to be the Kakuhen/high probability one.

Then it's just the power connections that need to be identified. The individual blue wires look the thickest and seems to be going towards the circuit board that appears to have power supply components on it. But I can't see enough of that board (the one marked PF1) to make more than a guess, and I wouldn't rely on guesswork when it comes to powering the thing up.

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, thanks all I’m on the right path now I think; I found a small gauge brown and black wire cut to the exact length (3 feet long or so) as the other 2 inputs Clam has kindly identified that had the labels, both stripped a half inch or so as if used in the wire connectors on the rear of a pachinko. They must be it because the rest of the wires are noticeably shorter and hastily cut off.

Now on to identify the power source wires...
    I’m guessing perhaps it’s these two blue slightly heavier gauge wires coming from the connector to the right of the reset button? (The connector with the bigger yellow, red, and blue wires)? What are your thoughts Daverob?

Here’s the suspect power connector (bottom right):
    Last edited by lotsoballs; 04-06-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Do both the blue wires terminate at the same pin of that connector, if so then they're probably ground wires. Drunkenclam said that red and yellow were often used as power wires, and if they're heavier gauge and going to the right circuit board, then they're likely suspects. Can't clearly see them in the pic with all the wires. Are they the ones that are spliced to white/black wires, if so what's on the other end of those wires.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    Do both the blue wires terminate at the same pin of that connector, if so then they're probably ground wires. Drunkenclam said that red and yellow were often used as power wires, and if they're heavier gauge and going to the right circuit board, then they're likely suspects. Can't clearly see them in the pic with all the wires. Are they the ones that are spliced to white/black wires, if so what's on the other end of those wires.
    Here’s pics of the yellow and red heavier gauge wires; noticed these are spliced and there’s an odd little red button wired in. The long black and brown wires I thought was the other missing pair of inputs connects to these; are these the likely power wires instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I notice the circuit boards are labelled Nikkei.
    and that counter is shown on the Nikkei's website. From 2005

http://www.nikkei-mfg.co.jp/product/...scontinued.htm
    Ian #UKPachinko

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just finished hooking up a Nikkei counter to my Tenryu.
    The thicker red and yellow wires are the power wires, just cut off the splices and hook up the red and yellow to 24v. Forget the switch and all the thinner wires that are connected to them.
    I have another unknown brand counter running on my Garo and it’s also using thick red an yellow for power.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When you have the counter powered on try to find the missing inputs:
    black wires are ground and the coloured wires are the signal wires.
    So if you hold the yellow and black wire together, you see the start number on the counter increase and red and black tied together will put it in bonus mode.
    My bet is green/black for high probability.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Trol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm looking at the second picture of post #12... your power is the red and yellow wires that for some reason have pigtail spices coming off them? The red has black/white and the yellow goes to a brown/orange.
    What is on the end of those colors? I can guess that the original owner split them to power another counter?

But as stated the power limb on all counters we've come across is Red & Yellow. They don't necessarily have to be think b/c usually there's a splice to multiple take offs to daisy chain these in the parlors.

If you need a P plate I have lots of extras.

Bill

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to billyp203