Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Babel Pachislo won't start

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Babel Pachislo won't start

I finally finished repairing the Babel. Quite satisfied with the results. I used an Arduino NANO (under $5) and a few parts scavenged from an old PC and printer plus an old radio shack project board that I purchased over 30 years ago and never used. Years ago I used to do quite a bit of C+ programming to crunch large data files to create customer consolidated billing reports so programming the NANO was not an big issue. Just ordered a NANO 3 pack online because I didn’t want to use my Arduino UNO. The NANO is half the size of the UNO and I wanted to use the 5 volts from the Babel to power it directly.

Deposit a quarter and it pulses the pachislo 10 credits. During play when a jackpot is hit and the credits go over 50 and triggers the missing hopper motor. The NANO detects the ground sent to the hopper and pulses the hopper coin detect lead until the hopper ground goes away. The NANO counts the times it pulsed the coin detect lead as jackpot credits and lights a LED just below the reels to indicate jackpot credits. Press the Credit/Collect button below the coin slot to transfer 25 credits or any remaining credits. The original ELECO never did this. I was thinking to put a small LCD display below the coin reels to show jackpot credits but decided not to. A single LED indicator should be good enough. All I need now is 4 #85 light bulbs and the machine will be fully functionally for coinless operation.

I’m not sure if this machine was converted to coinless operation by ELECO correctly. The wire that went the hopper cable did nothing. Had no battery or ground on it. Typically a photo interrupter circuit has about 4.5 volts on it and the lead they used had zero. I was starting to believe that when the original module blew it also fried the pachislo sense circuit and I didn’t really want pull the processor card to fault locate it. The hopper cable had 4 black ground leads, 2 pink 5v battery and 4 white leads. The one they used was dead. I pulsed it when the jackpot went over 50 and still a HE alarm. I checked the other 3 during a jackpot and found that 1 had a ground on it for 4 seconds when hitting the jackpot until the HE alarm. I used the NANO to pulse each of the other 2 leads and found that I didn’t get a HE alarm any more. JACKPOT. I knew this machine was fixable.

I am now constructing a stand for it but not as high as the one 30 inch one posted. I am building a 16 inch high one from 3/4 inch oak plywood left over from another project. Ergonomically when sitting, the center of the reels should be at eye level. I believe the other stand was meant for stand up playing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Howitzer50

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Bravo Brava
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2