Thread: Volume control install help: Sankyo Fortune frame

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Volume control install help: Sankyo Fortune frame

Hi all, so recently got this Lady Gaga, Macross Frontier 2, Bunny & Bunny machine and it needs volume controls on the upper speakers bad. I’ve never done a volume control install before; so I figured I dig into the frame and try to find said speakers; half an hour and 20+ tiny screws later I’m still no closer to locating these speakers; without totally disassembling the frame door.

Has anyone installed volume controls on this frame? (On the frame itself; not the cell) I noticed there’s 2 sets of red and white wires in the wiring harness going to the speaker area; I highly suspect these might be the wires I’m looking for that feed the speakers, any ideas? It would be a lot easier than trying to take this frame door apart!
    Last edited by lotsoballs; 01-06-2020 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Volume control install help: Sankyo Fortune frame

If you have a multimeter, you can measure the resistance between the pins you suspect to be the speakers. They'll usually measure between 4 and 16 ohms, if both pairs measure the same, then it's more likely that they are the speaker connections.

Sometimes you can hear a click from the speaker itself when you make the connection with the meter leads (it depends on how much voltage the meter uses to make the resistance measurement). If you don't then you could use a 1.5v (or lower voltage) battery across the speaker leads and you should hear a click from the speaker as the connection is made and unmade.

3. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Volume control install help: Sankyo Fortune frame

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    If you have a multimeter, you can measure the resistance between the pins you suspect to be the speakers. They'll usually measure between 4 and 16 ohms, if both pairs measure the same, then it's more likely that they are the speaker connections.

Sometimes you can hear a click from the speaker itself when you make the connection with the meter leads (it depends on how much voltage the meter uses to make the resistance measurement). If you don't then you could use a 1.5v (or lower voltage) battery across the speaker leads and you should hear a click from the speaker as the connection is made and unmade.
    Good stuff Daverob, as usual! I tried busting out my Harbor Freight multimeter, was getting a reading of around 4.5 ohm I think? (I’m a complete electronic repair/electrician newb, only used a multimeter once before for investigating a some automotive electrical issues) Did I have the multimeter set the the right setting? It did show 0 when I touched the probes together.

To double check, I rigged up a sophisticated battery jumper contraption with some spare bits of wire and a C cell battery; success! I heard one of the speakers making a “popping” sort of sound. Guess the next step is to cut one of the wires and see if it does indeed shut off the speaker. Does it matter at all which wire (red or white) I put the volume control on? No right?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks good so far. It doesn't matter which wire the volume control is put in. I try to pick the same colour wire on each speaker though as it helps to avoid putting both volume controls on the same speaker when I get confused with multi-wire plugs.

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It’s finally done! Only managed to burn myself once with the soldering iron. Good thing these volume controls come in 6 packs (got them off eBay)because 2 of them were duds; one just wouldn’t conduct anything; the other didn’t reduce volume at all turning the adjustment screw all the way in either direction, but I managed to sort it out and get the volume reduced 30-50% or so. Now I can use the built in volume control if I ever want to play at deafening parlor levels for some reason. Big thanks to Daverob for the advice/help!

Here’s a pic for future reference for anyone else wanting to put volume controls on this frame, it ain’t pretty, but does the job! I’ve since wrapped some electrical tape around the exposed wire/solder so nothing gets shorted out when closing the door frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

some simple 2 sided tape helps a ton..

I'm surprised you had problems.. i have bought these a few times.. (more then i care to count) never had a bad one yet...

love these little units
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Stop.
    I have the Macross frontier 2. And it's higher wattage then most. It will burn up those potentiometers within a week if not days. You must install a L-pad. It's best on all machines but some don't need it. The Macross dose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

On Gaga & the the Eva frame we attach volume controls using the red lines off the blue connector as pictured - 3 pots will get all the speakers. I don't like those tiny ones though, we order dials from tayda electronics
    gaga volume.jpg

12. The following user says "Thanks" to billyp203

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by akito starwind View Post
    Stop.
    I have the Macross frontier 2. And it's higher wattage then most. It will burn up those potentiometers within a week if not days. You must install a L-pad. It's best on all machines but some don't need it. The Macross dose
    Nah; I’ve played it many hours through many fever sequences over past several months on Gaga, Macross, and Bunny & Bunny and those little buggers still work! Not sure what an L-pad is.

I don’t like the hair trigger adjustability on them though is my biggest complaint; the bigger pots that have the knob (that Clover installed on the Macross cell) are the ones that burn up like clockwork (and smell like an electrical fire doing it) in my experience.

Shame on Sankyo for making the volume THAT loud on lowest setting requiring all this aftermarket modification to begin with. Heiwa and other’s knows how to make a frame with wide range of acceptable volume levels that go from silent to mind numbingly loud. Why Sankyo has repeated problems understanding this concept is beyond me. Customer should have the choice! (Anti-Sankyo rant over)

14. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs