Thread: How does the shooter work

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default How does the shooter work

I'm new to modern pachinko and am trying to revive my first machine (http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...odern-pachinko).

I think my machine is working except for one critical piece, the shooter.

Coming from vintage pachinko, I'm struggling to fix it in large part because I don't understand how it's supposed to work.

Can someone give me an explanation of what's supposed to happen when I twist the shooter knob? Mine twists and springs back, but doesn't launch a ball.

There's something mounted to the back of the shooter that looks a little like a motor, is that supposed to fire when I twist the shooter knob?
    Last edited by topper; 11-10-2019 at 06:48 PM.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: How does the shooter work

I don't have a unit of that age, so this comes from a newer perspective.

The turning of the shooter knob is not directly connected to the motor. the action of turning the knob tighened the shooter hammer return spring making it fire back with more force.
    The motor is just a motor with a cam on it that presses against the shooter hammer and returns. When active. the motor always turns at the same speed giving you a constant firing rate. no mater how far the shooter handle is turned.

As mentioned in the other thread, The shooter handle has a stop button on it. So when you find a sweet spot, you can stop firing without moving your hand on the shotter knob.

To activate the shooter. The metal ring around the shooter must go to ground. This is normally done by the player holding it. Also as an additional function. When the shooter isn't turned and in the zero postion. The stop button circuit is active too. normally by something inside the shooter activation the switch.

some machines don't fire. due to faulty motor or damaged cam.
    Ian #UKPachinko

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hmmm... so it's not like the vintage machines where you flick the lever to shoot a ball? You just twist and hold it?

Should I hear the shooter motor run as soon as I plug it in? Or only when I'm touching the ring?

My ring was broken and the way I repaired it, there may not be continuity.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by topper View Post
    Hmmm... so it's not like the vintage machines where you flick the lever to shoot a ball? You just twist and hold it?
    yes the more you turn the handle the harder the ball strike (just like a vintage machine)

Should I hear the shooter motor run as soon as I plug it in? Or only when I'm touching the ring?
    no the shooter motor only runs when you have both turned the shooter handle and are touching the ground ring.. only turning the handle will do nothing.. only touching the ground ring will do noting.. you must do both.. also keep in mind the stop button.. if it is broken it may be the cause of your problem as well

My ring was broken and the way I repaired it, there may not be continuity.
    strong possibility..

EDIT

now i see the age of your machine.. my guess is the shooter and the ground ring are one in the same..
    Last edited by Moparformances; 11-11-2019 at 10:42 AM. Reason: add info
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    yes the more you turn the handle the harder the ball strike (just like a vintage machine)

no the shooter motor only runs when you have both turned the shooter handle and are touching the ground ring.. only turning the handle will do nothing.. only touching the ground ring will do noting.. you must do both.. also keep in mind the stop button.. if it is broken it may be the cause of your problem as well

strong possibility..

EDIT

now i see the age of your machine.. my guess is the shooter and the ground ring are one in the same..
    That's super helpful, thanks!

I'll check for continuity from outside to inside of the shooter tonight. I would think the nails I used to reinforce the broken spindles would be conductive, but maybe the superglue isolated them or ate away the conductive coating on the plastic? I need to pick up some conductive shielding paint for a guitar project anyway. If that's my problem, I bet that paint would be a great solution.

I assume the stop button is the small plastic button right next to the shooter? It moves freely (presses in and springs back) but I guess it could still be stuck. What's the purpose of the stop button? Wouldn't letting go of the shooter stop the motor?

8. The following user says "Thanks" to topper

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's super helpful, thanks!

I'll check for continuity from outside to inside of the shooter tonight. I would think the nails I used to reinforce the broken spindles would be conductive, but maybe the superglue isolated them or ate away the conductive coating on the plastic? I need to pick up some conductive shielding paint for a guitar project anyway. If that's my problem, I bet that paint would be a great solution.

I assume the stop button is the small plastic button right next to the shooter? It moves freely (presses in and springs back) but I guess it could still be stuck. What's the purpose of the stop button? Wouldn't letting go of the shooter stop the motor?
    You don’t shoot balls non-stop in a modern machine; unless you want to waste balls (which cost money) Most digipachi allow a certain number of banked “spins”, usually 4. If you get 4 banked spins getting a 5th scoring ball will not spin the “reels”; so you are feeding the machine extra balls with minimal return. Skill based machines like hanemono you may want to briefly hit the stop button so the timing of your shot coincides with the movement of the moving “arms” or “feathers”. Pro tip

You use the button when you are aiming in the perfect “sweet spot” and don’t want to let go of the handle only to have to find the sweet spot again which, 1 millimeter of rotation/movement of the shooter handle is the difference between winning and losing on a one shot machine, like Tenryu Infinity...not so much a digipachi. Regardless, I still use the stop shooter button on most machines occasionally so I’m not wasting balls.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, this was super helpful and it helped me make some progress on my machine, which I'll keep posting in this thread: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...odern-pachinko.

I think I need a "How to Play Modern Pachinko 101" class. I'm not really following you about how to shoot and time shots. When I twist the shooter knob and hold it in place, the machine just rapid fires balls.
    Last edited by topper; 11-11-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

12. The following user says "Thanks" to topper

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, this was super helpful and it helped me make some progress on my machine, which I'll keep posting in this thread: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...odern-pachinko.

I think I need a "How to Play Modern Pachinko 101" class. I'm not really following you about how to shoot and time shots. When I twist the shooter knob and hold it in place, the machine just rapid fires balls.
    To shoot individual balls or stop shooting for a short period just tap and hold the stop shooter button with your thumb, release and repeat!

Somewhere on the machine there’s probably some tiny LEDs that track how many banked spins you have accumulated for each scoring ball. Once you figure out what the max number of banked spins is; you will know when to stop shooting once you hit the max. It doesn’t really matter anyway at home when you’re not playing for real money I suppose.
    Last edited by lotsoballs; 11-11-2019 at 11:48 PM.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

In the center feature there are 4 led's above where it says 'Memory', those are your banked spins. Looks like it also banks 4 'chance' spins. This is normally a sub-roulette that opens the start tulip wings for a second or two.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, help me understand "banked spins." In vintage Pachinko you just try to get the balls into pockets. I understand a "spin" is the slot machine thing in the center. But how do I "bank" those spins?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

19. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by hanabi View Post
    That's just what I needed! Where are those FAQs located on the site?! The FAQ link in the nav bar goes to a page all about how to use the forum and I didn't see the modern pachinko FAQ in the sticky threads at the top of the forum.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's just what I needed! Where are those FAQs located on the site?! The FAQ link in the nav bar goes to a page all about how to use the forum and I didn't see the modern pachinko FAQ in the sticky threads at the top of the forum.

They are in our old Research Centre link here: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/local_links.php

Because it's really old software in there and a lot of links don't work it's not really available in main Forums , but sometimes there's something useful still working in there ��
    Angie ...

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by hanabi View Post
    They are in our old Research Centre link here: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/local_links.php

Because it's really old software in there and a lot of links don't work it's not really available in main Forums , but sometimes there's something useful still working in there ��
    Ahhh. The Twilight Zone!!!
    Ian #UKPachinko

23. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'd strongly suggest adding those to the sticky posts in the modern pachinko forum. Would have helped me immensely to see them earlier!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'd strongly suggest adding those to the sticky posts in the modern pachinko forum. Would have helped me immensely to see them earlier!
    To be honest there are so many helpful threads here at PT that if we made them all a 'sticky' it would be a nightmare to navigate,

i usually post any relevant threads / links if I see they may be needed as I read through the posts (and I'm sure the other Admin & Mods do likewise)

and of of course it's always best for members to post here and ask for advice in order to get the best most up to date info, as what was a Modern machine back in the 80's, 90's , etc can be very different to a current era 'modern'

Angie ...

26. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Check out my YouTube channel. I have a few play videos from when I lived in japan. You can see me using the stop button especially when I’m trying to get balls in the bonus door. The bonus door stays open and closed for a few seconds after you get X Amount of balls in the bonus door (X varies by machine but is often 10) so after I shoot 10 balls I hold the button and wait for the door to open again until my bonus is finished.

here’s one of my videos. https://youtu.be/FKt7o9qdP1o

28. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Goobie777

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks!