Thread: Japanese Pachinko Museums

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Japanese Pachinko Museums

I'm trying to figure out which Pachinko museums in Japan are still around (I'm planning a visit soon). There have been many that seems to have come and gone, especially in Tokyo.

As of August 2019, there appears to be one outside Tokyo still (or at a trip from the city center: http://p-museum.jp/ )

The main one I was interested in was the Masamura Pachinko Museum in Nagoya. They seemed to have (or have had) great machines, history, and knowledge. However, I can't confirm they even exist anymore. Lots of inconsistent info online. No web page, no working phone number. Can anyone here add any clarity?

If you aren't familiar with it, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masamura_Pachinko_Museum

Masamura declared bankruptcy a few years ago (2010?). The museum was at Jōsai 4-19-6 near Jōshin Station, but apparently is long gone and the building may even have been torn down and replaced. The only phone number online for the museum is tied to this old location: 052-531-3638. I've confirmed the phone number is bad. Most of the online references that specifically say that museum is closed refer to the old location. Some of the online references that suggest it is open also reference the old address, so there is clearly a lot of bad info online (master of the obvious).

It apparently moved (maybe twice), ending up at 210 Nakasunachō, Tempaku-ku, Nagoya, and then possibly taken over by the Nikko Group or Kyoraku Sangyo Co., Ltd.

There was one online reference I found suggesting the machines ended up in the archives of the main industry trade association in Japan, but that might have been circa around the time of the bankruptcy. I can't confirm what years 210 Nakasunachō address is from.

Can anyone add any light on Masamura? Or suggest any other Japanese museums?

Thanks in advance...

BTW: On the subject, I found this thread interesting: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...achinko-Museum

Random tidbit: The thread mentions hostility towards taking photos. This doesn't seem to be a unique experience. On a trip earlier this year to Japan, the coin-op arcades in Akihabara were all pretty hostile to photo taking...

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mclemore

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Japanese Pachinko Museums

It took some work to figure out what was going on with the Masamura museum due to so much conflicting information online. In short, they are confirmed closed, and the museum didn't survive their bankruptcy. It appears that much of the collection went in 2 different directions, neither of which are open for public exhibition. So at least I know I don't need to budget time to visit...

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mclemore

Thanks
    Thanks Received

At least p-museum above has pics of their earliest machines. More pics would be better but it's a start.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

0B5A54E1-63AF-40BB-9783-411ADB1D8B28.jpeg55BF7E35-99EF-4070-B112-BC59C433C971.jpeg

This is is my oldest one. One of these days I need to reconstruct a new ball tray at the top. The front is fixed (no door) and the glass slides into the top of the frame.
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I physically went to the masamura pachinko museum address today; it’s shut down and nothing inside.
    this is where pachinko was invented (so everyone in Nagoya tells me) so it’s maddening there is no archive available.

9. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to jasonlujan