Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Let the MODS begin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Let the MODS begin

Back story: Several months ago I purchased a (rough condition/broken) Bellco Double Chance Pachislo (circa 2000) machine from a local craigslist add as a diversion and opportunity to exercise/improve my electronic understanding and troubleshooting skills. The machine did not disappoint. While the seller presented the error 'Cr' as "it may just be something wrong with the coin slot", there was more wrong with the machine than they shared. Which was... digital logic issues eventually tracked down to a defective CPU (which I ended up replacing twice) but that okay... it was learning experience for me. So a few hundred dollars in test equipment and a couple $30 parts purchases from China later, I finally got this puppy working properly again! (Yea... happy dance ensues...)

So... now that I have base functionality working, I'm thinking through what modifications I can make to the machine to make it the most enjoyable to keep around. I would ask the Pachislo community for their input on what mods added the most enjoyment/value to their machines.

While troubleshooting issues with the coin acceptance circuit I created a little arduino circuit to 'coin up' my machine while awaiting replacement photo interrupters. (By the way, an EXACT REPLACEMENT photo interrupter for a 2000 vintage Bellco machine is the Omron EE-SX3081, which I was able to purchase at $2.17 @ qty 5.) That being said, having a way to 'coin up' the machine without stealing medal from the hopper was both convenient and nice. I'm thinking of adding a button to 'coin up' based on this experience.

I've also seen references to available aftermarket boards to automate pressing the stop buttons. While helping another pachitalk member troubleshoot his stop buttons, I understand how this modification works. I'm just wondering how much value it adds. Is it really more fun to not press the stop buttons?

Lastly, I'm thinking about the florescent belly glass lighting (and a few other florescent bulbs), has anyone tried replacing them with LED strip lighting? I would think that would solve a lot of problems, but haven't seen any discussion on it. Maybe I entered the wrong search keywords and missed it, but would appreciate any community insight on the positive/negative implications on this. I have some leftover LED lighting strips from my kitchen remodel. It seems like an obvious replacement for the florescent bulbs that 'kinda suck' on my machine

Please everyone... feel free to chime in on this... I'm relying on the benefit of your experience owning/playing/sharing Pachislo machines to prioritize what I might do to this one to make it the most fun possible.

By the way, it's no museum piece - so don't feel compelled to keep it original

Blessings to all...
    Last edited by atlanticom; 07-13-2019 at 05:23 PM.

2. The following user says "Thanks" to atlanticom

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Let the MODS begin

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

4. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

An old member that used to sell auto stop boards added a coin add mod to their boards and it was very popular even with people that didn't care about (or turn on) the auto stop part.. So that sounds like a mod that can make playing more fun!!

As far as auto stops, I never saw the appeal..But they used to be pretty popular (I think they're harder to make for newer machines) Mostly for people that wanted them to act more like American slot machines, pull handle kits were popular add ons 15 years ago too.. These mods seemed to be more popular before pachis got screens!!

No clue on lights, but LEDs sound good to me!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

6. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Since they're dead... may as well fill 'em full of LED... replacing the dead fluorescent fixtures with L.E.D. light strips!

I tackled the dead fluorescent back-lights on my Bellco Double Chance machine today - and I am SO HAPPY with the results that I need to share with the community.

First let me state, I had no idea there were as many back-lights as there were. Belly glass, above reels and behind top glass. No worries though, I had about 15 meters of leftover RGB LED strips from my kitchen remodel as well as several RGB LED controllers (when I purchase items off aliexpress from China, I always purchase at least double of what I need - just in case something is defective... the price is cheap, the wait for delivery is long...)

So I started with the belly glass. There was a single bulb illuminating that area with a couple reflective panels on the enclosure. I decided to place two LED strips in that area because LEDs are more directional than a fluorescent bulb. In hindsight, it was the right decision. I'm really happy how the two strips look through the belly glass.

I then moved on to the bulb above the reels which illuminates both a marquee and the reels. I decided to adhere the LED strip to the back edge of the plastic enclosure so that it 'points' toward the marquee. Again, I'm happy with that decision. It really emphasizes the glass artwork.

I was then surprised to find another fixture behind the top glass which shows the winning combinations. I had to get creative on that one because the existing bulb electronics blocked the ability to illuminate the entire area with LEDs. I ended up inverting the fixture so that the electronics face the inside of the machine and I affixed my LEDs to the back side of the assembly. I'm happy with the decision, but may consider adding another couple inches of LED strip to the left side to better illuminate the entire marquee. (it would have been so much worse if I left the fixture in it's original orientation and omitted the area covered by the electronics.

After everything was installed and wired together, I tried connecting the LED controller to the 24vdc supply of the upper marquee bulb, but during my initial tests, the connection points seemed to get hot quickly so I
    backed off of that strategy (for the moment) and installed a dedicated 12vdc power supply to drive the LEDs. Measured current drain on the LEDs is 1.2a at 12v. In the future I plan to try installing a voltage regulator to convert the existing 24v available power to 12vdc expected by the LEDs.

A bonus result of using RGB LEDs and related controller allows me to change the color of the back lights and/or let the controller cycle through color schemes (as if the machine didn't do enough do draw your attention to it already.)

I highly recommend this mod for older machines that are losing fluorescent fixtures and/or bulbs. The entire mod cost me $10 US in parts (which I had already spent for spare parts, so it cost me nothing but a little time.)

I'll attach a few picture from the build. Feel free to reply with questions and I'll do my best to respond. I'll also update the thread when I resolve my power supply issue.

Cheers!

IMG_7535low.jpgIMG_7538low.jpgIMG_7542low.jpg

8. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to atlanticom

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

10. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

12. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So... moving forward with the lamp replacements, I purchased 20 T10 base LED lamps from Amazon.com for $10 us. They work perfectly! (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I now need to replace some burnt out bulbs behind the reels that are the smaller #85 base bulbs. I can get
    50 LED bulbs for $5 US ) https://www.ebay.com/itm/50Pcs-White...QAAOSwo4pYFuQ4

or 20 Incandescent bulbs for $4 US https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Yellow...ateway&sr=8-16

both appear to be coming on the slow boat from China. I went ahead an purchased the LED bulbs. I'll update everyone on my experience when the come in next month

Have a great week!

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to atlanticom

Thanks
    Thanks Received

BTW: My wife hit the big bonus. Here's a video of what it looks like: https://www.screencast.com/t/IvnpnZ66

Cheers

16. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to atlanticom

Thanks
    Thanks Received

To follow up with the lighting mod...

I found a 12v voltage regulator in my spare parts bin (LM7812) that worked perfectly to adapt the existing 24v florescent bulb voltage to the 12v required by my LED lighting controller. A heat sink was necessary due to the current draw of the RGB lights, but thankfully I had pulled one of those from some poor donor board years ago as well. So the lights are now powered by the machine itself. The only thing left to do with this machine is replace some of the reel bulbs (when they eventually arrive) and figure out where my wife will let me put it

IMG_7574.JPGIMG_7576.JPG

BTW: I don't know why the board decided to rotate my photos, but I think you get the idea

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to atlanticom

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by atlanticom View Post
    So... now that I have base functionality working, I'm thinking through what modifications I can make to the machine to make it the most enjoyable to keep around. I would ask the Pachislo community for their input on what mods added the most enjoyment/value to their machines.
    How about some flashing LED'S for the coin tray.

http://youtu.be/jheC4QRv3oI
    What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

20. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wayne, that looks fancy. Thanks for the idea!

I have a small lip that could potentially support such a light strip. It remains to be seen what's available these days on aliexpress. I see your video was posted in 2014. Where did you purchase the light strip then?

The only other issue I may have is the overall condition of my machine. As I mentioned in a previous post, this machine is no museum piece (but the bright side is that I don't feel bad about modifying it. So I don't know if the coin tray lighting will bring too much attention to the 'bubbling' chrome. Here's what I mean...

IMG_7585.JPGIMG_7586.JPG

22. The following user says "Thanks" to atlanticom

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The LED strip was bought at Walmart, (automotive section), and has a peel 'n stick back. Operates on 12V, so I just used a 12V power adapter, (bought at Goodwill for .99) and wired to the light strip. Plugged it in to the power strip that the machine is plugged into. So, when I turn ON the machine, at the power strip the led's come on at the same time.

011.jpg

012.jpg

24. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There are other simple mod's, like painting or covering the sides/top of the cabinet or adding graphics to the sides. Other mod's might be adding a Topper or a "bandit arm". I have added token counters to machines also, (once known as a Gaku Counter), but I don't believe they are for sale anymore.

Here are some pictures of my machines, maybe it will give you some ideas to work with or build upon.

Vegas Cabinet.jpg

Spin luck.jpg

Speed Racer.jpg

20181219_154431.jpg

20181117_112050.jpg 20181119_150949.jpg

20181122_115031.jpg

26. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very creative! Thanks for sharing the pictures and ideas.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne-Ooo View Post
    The LED strip was bought at Walmart, (automotive section), and has a peel 'n stick back. Operates on 12V, so I just used a 12V power adapter, (bought at Goodwill for .99) and wired to the light strip. Plugged it in to the power strip that the machine is plugged into. So, when I turn ON the machine, at the power strip the led's come on at the same time.
    Just checked my local Walmart. They carry RGB lighting (similar in functionality to what I already have) but no chasing lights like in your video. In retrospect, I could always add another strip of RGB LEDs above the coin tray and wire it into my existing LED lighting since I currently have the color cycling. I did find several controller and addressable led strip solutions from China (aliexpress.com). Cheapest off-the-china-shelf solution I could configure was $15 U.S. I'll go ahead and order a meter strip of addressable lights and two cheap controllers and use some of it for the coin tray or for some other project. Never worked with individually addressable LEDs before... maybe it will inspire another learning opportunity.

Thanks again for the suggestion.
    Last edited by atlanticom; 07-20-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Dang , now you got wanting to have a Double Chance pachislo just for the great music playing during the jack pot sequence.

30. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne-Ooo View Post
    I have added token counters to machines also, (once known as a Gaku Counter), but I don't believe they are for sale anymore.

20181122_115031.jpg
    I've been thinking about this mod a lot lately and believe it is something I can build. Wondering how beneficial the elapsed time display is. Pachislodb gave me a great schematic of my stop board and it looks like I can count bonus rounds and such. I also need to think about creating appropriate artwork. The electronics seem like the easy part of this kind of project. Thoughts?

32. The following user says "Thanks" to atlanticom

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by atlanticom View Post
    So... moving forward with the lamp replacements, I purchased 20 T10 base LED lamps from Amazon.com for $10 us. They work perfectly! (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I now need to replace some burnt out bulbs behind the reels that are the smaller #85 base bulbs. I can get
    50 LED bulbs for $5 US ) https://www.ebay.com/itm/50Pcs-White-LED-24V-T5-1smd-Car-Cluster-Instrument-Gauge-Dashboard-Light-Bulbs/232240679708?hash=item36129f8b1c:g:5wQAAOSwo4pYFuQ4

or 20 Incandescent bulbs for $4 US https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Yellow...ateway&sr=8-16

both appear to be coming on the slow boat from China. I went ahead an purchased the LED bulbs. I'll update everyone on my experience when the come in next month

Have a great week!
    The #85/T5 base LEDs came in and I replaced all the reel lamps. They provide a brighter white color which I kinda like... and kinda don't (because it seems to slightly bleed through the black part of the reel artwork.) The other downside to LEDs is they are polarity sensitive - which isn't so much a problem when the lamps are accessible, but behind the reels is a difficult location to swap bases around. I worked out a way to do it with limited effort, but it's definitely an issue for this kind of replacement. After the experience, I would recommend using incandescent bulbs - just for the installation convenience.

BTW: I have a bunch of working #85 bulbs that I pulled from my reels. If anyone needs a few, feel free to PM me and I'll send some your way.

Happy Wednesday everyone!

34. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to atlanticom

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Those bulbs worked okay as the reel backlights? I need some for my Charlie's Angels and King Camel machines.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes, the LED lights worked fine. As I mentioned, they are polarity sensitive, so I needed to test/confirm their direction before putting the reels back in place. I don't know how many replacement bulbs you need, but if you only need a few, I can send you some of my left-over incandescent (original bulbs) They are obviously not polarity sensitive

37. The following user says "Thanks" to atlanticom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast