Thread: Eva 8 Volume Issue

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Eva 8 Volume Issue

Ah, here I am again with more questions!

So my Eva 8 came in this morning after FedEx lost the package for 24 hours. Turns out they shipped it to the wrong transfer warehouse so it ended up being a day late. On top of that the box was trashed and the stand for the Pachinko machine was mangled. My buddy who works for FedEx said I should open up a case and be persistent and I can get my shipping fees back, so hoping something comes of it.

ANYWAY....

At first the machine wouldn't fire balls properly (it would fire one out of every four times the hammer struck) so I took apart the front and found that a piece of the wood that chipped off the stand got stuck in the shooter motor. Removed the chunk and all is good with the world. However, the volume on the machine is super low and only coming out the right speaker. It's so low that you can't hear it at all over the balls bouncing around the playfield. It does have two volume pots installed and there is both a master volume switch on the back (which I have all the way up) and also a volume control in the menu (which also I have all the way up). I reset all the connectors and traced the wires to make sure there were no physical breaks and everything looks OK at least. Has anyone had this issue? Could the pots themselves have went bad? I'm just hoping something didn't happen during shipping to cause it. :-/ With how FedEx handled that package the bag with pachinko balls broke open and they were rattling all up inside the box.

As always, thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Eva 8 Volume Issue

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJubei View Post
    Ah, here I am again with more questions!

So my Eva 8 came in this morning after FedEx lost the package for 24 hours. Turns out they shipped it to the wrong transfer warehouse so it ended up being a day late. On top of that the box was trashed and the stand for the Pachinko machine was mangled. My buddy who works for FedEx said I should open up a case and be persistent and I can get my shipping fees back, so hoping something comes of it.

ANYWAY....

At first the machine wouldn't fire balls properly (it would fire one out of every four times the hammer struck) so I took apart the front and found that a piece of the wood that chipped off the stand got stuck in the shooter motor. Removed the chunk and all is good with the world. However, the volume on the machine is super low and only coming out the right speaker. It's so low that you can't hear it at all over the balls bouncing around the playfield. It does have two volume pots installed and there is both a master volume switch on the back (which I have all the way up) and also a volume control in the menu (which also I have all the way up). I reset all the connectors and traced the wires to make sure there were no physical breaks and everything looks OK at least. Has anyone had this issue? Could the pots themselves have went bad? I'm just hoping something didn't happen during shipping to cause it. :-/ With how FedEx handled that package the bag with pachinko balls broke open and they were rattling all up inside the box.

As always, thanks in advance!
    The pots go bad all the time; 2 of the machines I bought from the parlor in Myrtle beach had bad pots; and Clover Collectables had a bad batch of them installed on many machines a few years ago and they stop working. Bypass them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post
    The pots go bad all the time; 2 of the machines I bought from the parlor in Myrtle beach had bad pots; and Clover Collectables had a bad batch of them installed on many machines a few years ago and they stop working. Bypass them!
    Ah ok! That's definitely good to know. I don't mind bypassing since it seems this particular machine has multiple ways to adjust the volume. I'm assuming these machines are mono? Here is a picture of the back wiring to the pots. Is it as simple as cutting those four wires with the shrink wrap on them and connecting them together directly instead of up to the pots?20190605_122113_1_75.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes you can do that and all will be good unless there is another break in the wiring elsewhere.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Peteybob View Post
    Yes you can do that and all will be good unless there is another break in the wiring elsewhere.
    Schveeeet, that worked! Sounds great now and everything is working as it should! Just spent about 10 minutes playing and, man, it's really really fun. Macross Frontier 2 will be here today too, so my poor Julie is gonna be on the back burner.

Thanks so much for the help, I wish I could buy you both beers or something. I'll just have to throw another donation to the site instead.

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MechaJubei

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can always play more than one machine at a time. It only gets tough if you hit a fever round on two machines at the same time and you are doing the ball shuffle by hand like me But the work around for some machines is to turn one off during a bonus round and it may start back up where it was last playing for you when powered up again

I'm an equal opportunity player with most of my machines!

Sandwich Shooter AnythingObscure's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

You might wanna doublecheck by trying to connect each pair of wires (formerly going to each of the two pots) together, instead of connecting all four wires together. If everything still seems to work/play right then, maybe you'll discover it really is "stereo"...?? For the record I don't have any actual idea one way or the other, just sayin' I don't think I would wanna physically bridge both halves of my living room sound system amp together like that without setting its controls that way beforehand...I doubt if doing so would make it very happy in the long run (if it didn't result in rather immediate bang/smoke/fire?) even if it did still manage to try to work...??

Granted there's also the inherent differences between a 300W/ch studio amplifier and a little audio board in a slot machine...?
    Tim
    "I didn't do it -- nobody saw me do it -- there's no way you can prove anything!" --Bart Simpson

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by AnythingObscure View Post
    You might wanna doublecheck by trying to connect each pair of wires (formerly going to each of the two pots) together, instead of connecting all four wires together. If everything still seems to work/play right then, maybe you'll discover it really is "stereo"...?? For the record I don't have any actual idea one way or the other, just sayin' I don't think I would wanna physically bridge both halves of my living room sound system amp together like that without setting its controls that way beforehand...I doubt if doing so would make it very happy in the long run (if it didn't result in rather immediate bang/smoke/fire?) even if it did still manage to try to work...??

Granted there's also the inherent differences between a 300W/ch studio amplifier and a little audio board in a slot machine...?
    No, you're correct. I didn't put all the wires together - each speaker had it's own positive and negative. I was more or less just wondering if they even utilize stereo sound or if it's a mono signal going to two speakers. I guess I just worded that whole thing dumb!

That being said, now that I've played it a couple hours with the speakers working it is a little loud even with everything on the lowest settings. So if I wanted to put new pots on it does anyone have suggestions of good ones to use?

11. The following user says "Thanks" to MechaJubei

Thanks
    Thanks Received

B1k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Vikingwiz View Post
    B1k
    Thanks! I just ordered a few.