Thread: Is that Raijin god of thunder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Is that Raijin god of thunder

So this just popped on my local Craigslist. https://lynchburg.craigslist.org/clt...903245634.html

00N0N_eQ07oSFQBKU_1200x900.jpg00A0A_b9na5vJAJ22_1200x900.jpg00505_9ip4J6w0UkB_1200x900.jpg

I just bought my second machine a week ago and swore no more. (One is a 1969 Nishijin single shot, the other is a 1978 model C spaceman sort of thing). This looks like another Nishijin Model C like the one I just brought home. But that center attraction is so cool! I did a little googling and there's a Shinto god of thunder named Raijin who looks an awful lot like that red demon/god thing in the main attraction.

So I'm pretty sure this is the wrong forum to look for someone who's going to talk me out of buying this. But, please tell me it's common or at least not really rare and/or valuable, so I won't feel too bad about letting it follow someone else home.

2. The following user says "Thanks" to topper

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Is that Raijin god of thunder

That's a stupid-cool main attraction!

Your pictures make it look like it’s cast from translucent red plastic, but with no back lighting. Is that the case? And, if so, do you want to keep it “factory,” or would you want to rig some additional jackpot lights behind your thunder god?

Asking for a friend...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I emailed the seller to ask about jackpot lights. I don't see any center jackpot lights in the pic of the back, but the pic is dark so I'm not really sure.

I'm not a purist so I wouldn't see anything wrong with adding a light if one isn't there.

But see, now I'm talking like it's mine.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have never seen "C" machine with a standard on/off jackpot light in the center feature.. unless its part of the feature..

neat looking machine.. Model "C" machines themselves are kinda rare..

ya know your gona (or ya already did) buy it
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    I have never seen "C" machine with a standard on/off jackpot light in the center feature.. unless its part of the feature..
    I don't follow you here. Do you mean Model C machines don't typically have a center jackpot light?

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    neat looking machine.. Model "C" machines themselves are kinda rare..
    This is the kind of thing I'd love to know more about. As a total noob to pachinkos I'd assume Model C machines would be more common because they came later (therefore there'd be more still around). I know the adage that any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but I'd still love to have a sense of which machines are rare, which are common, which are valuable. Any resources like that out there?

My experience is limited to the few machines that have crossed my path so far. I paid $50 for my 1969 single shot partridge family model. And I paid $85 for the spaceman Model C. Based on the amount of entertainment and enjoyment I've already gotten out of both machines, I'd call both absolute bargains.

Right after stumbling into the single shot partridge family one, I saw this old post on Pachinko Planet for the exact same machine (fully restored) for sale for $1750. That strikes me as fairly hyperbolic. But I just don't have any way to know.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by topper View Post
    I don't follow you here. Do you mean Model C machines don't typically have a center jackpot light?
    correct, fancy machines and or machines that require power to play often but not always had lights in the center.. the bulk of vintage "C" machines only have lights in the upper corner.. and every one i have seen has the low ball and jackpot lights stuck in the same corner..

This is the kind of thing I'd love to know more about. As a total noob to pachinkos I'd assume Model C machines would be more common because they came later (therefore there'd be more still around). I know the adage that any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but I'd still love to have a sense of which machines are rare, which are common, which are valuable. Any resources like that out there?

My experience is limited to the few machines that have crossed my path so far. I paid $50 for my 1969 single shot partridge family model. And I paid $85 for the spaceman Model C. Based on the amount of entertainment and enjoyment I've already gotten out of both machines, I'd call both absolute bargains.

Right after stumbling into the single shot partridge family one, I saw this old post on Pachinko Planet for the exact same machine (fully restored) for sale for $1750. That strikes me as fairly hyperbolic. But I just don't have any way to know.
    "B" machines are the most common.. lots brought back from service members and imported at that time.. (i think they were made for the longest period of time as well) "A" are probably next.. quite common.. single shots and "C" machine are the hardest to find.. single shots cause there older and probably most were trashed (recycled) beforet he craze hit the US market.. and "C" machines cause they were only made for a few years before modern machines hit the Markets..

just cause there not as meany out there does not make them more valuable...

My 2 cents
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

9. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Sandwich Shooter AnythingObscure's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

[think] ...gee, I wish something (anything?!) like that was local to *me* for $50... [/think]
    Tim
    "I didn't do it -- nobody saw me do it -- there's no way you can prove anything!" --Bart Simpson

Thanks
    Thanks Received

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Mr.Lazo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, I knew this was the wrong place to look for anyone to talk me out of this. I did email the seller last night to ask a little more about the machine. No response yet, so who knows, it may have already found another home.

But out of curiosity, what would you expect to pay for a machine like that where you are? (I'm in the US in central Virginia by the way).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, I knew this was the wrong place to look for anyone to talk me out of this. I did email the seller last night to ask a little more about the machine. No response yet, so who knows, it may have already found another home.

But out of curiosity, what would you expect to pay for a machine like that where you are? (I'm in the US in central Virginia by the way).
    That one has a water stained playfield which is impossible to fix without full playfield replacement, so to me $50 is fair. If the playfield had bright colors and was undamaged maybe $100? I’m in NC and have bought a couple vintages locally off CL so that’s what I’m basing my prices off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post
    That one has a water stained playfield which is impossible to fix without full playfield replacement, so to me $50 is fair. If the playfield had bright colors and was undamaged maybe $100?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Buy it

18. The following user says "Thanks" to machgo

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pachi's are like potato chips you can't just have one

Get what YOU Like but make a good size storage space for the Overflow and

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

20. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, still no response from the seller. So whether I want it or not doesn't seem to matter. A little sad, but mostly relieved. I was so tempted by this one, especially because for once I could make sense out of the center attraction! But I really don't need or have space for another machine. Hopefully it found a good home with someone else.