Thread: Just got my first Pachinko...a couple questions

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Just got my first Pachinko...a couple questions

Heya all,

I'm a pinhead and have a few pinball machines and a pinball themed Pachinko machine came up on my local Craigslist so I snagged it for my game room. It's a Sankyo "Julie" machine from the looks of it and it's in near perfect condition. The guy I bought it from didn't know anything about it since it was in a storage auction he got.

Anyway, it powers up and everything looks good but I can't play it due to an error it's throwing out. It's an "Error 8" and it seems it's due to it not having a card reader. So it appears I need a dongle or something to make it think it has a card reader? I googled a bit and came across pinballdave.com and emailed him about it and he recommended I post up here on pachitalk to find a dongle. Am I in the right place?

It also only came with about 20 balls so I just ordered about 1000 more, is that enough?

I know Japan runs off of different voltage, will I need to get a voltage converter as to not damage the machine?

There are two wires with adjustments knobs coming out of the machine (see pics) and I can't figure out what they do. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to MechaJubei

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Just got my first Pachinko...a couple questions

The wires/adjustment knobs should likely be volume controls which are commonly installed for home use because without them the machines are super loud.

I think if it's working now at home it's likely been changed already for the correct transformer, otherwise it would likely have blown when you plugged it in. Someone else could answer this better as I've heard 100V stuff does work in 120V(110v).

4. The following user says "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk. 1000 balls will be enough, but 1500 would be better. It looks like you are missing the dongle that should plug into the "printer port" looking connection to the upper right above the error code list taped on the back of the machine. Extra wires are volume controls and it looks like it may already have a US transformer installed. If not you should be OK to use the existing transformer. I rarely swap mine out, but I also don't leave them plugged in when not in use.

Julie is a really fun game and one of the more sought after games because of its pinball theme. Not that it's extremely valuable, but if you ever decide to sell the machine it shouldn't take too long to move it.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello MechaJubei and welcome to the group

I have extra basic dongles and can send you one for free to get you started. Send me a private message if you want one.

Congrats on finding a "Julie" to go with you pinball machines

8. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello, Welcome to PachiTalk!!

I have a Julie , although it's currently in storage so haven't played it for a while , I also have pinballs too

Here's a link to our Julie Manual:
    http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/local_links.php?catid=6&linkid=1541

'Julie' is actually Kenji Sawada
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_Sawada

and so of course the pachinko features a fab sound track including 'T O K I O'!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

10. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

looks like you got all your questions answered so

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you so much to everyone that replied! You all did indeed answer my questions. doa12 was correct, those extra wires were for the speakers. I couldn't tell at first because I couldn't get the game to make any sound since I didn't have the dongle to play. But I opened the front and dropped a few balls in and it started the slot action and I was able to adjust volume with those two pots. The transformer that is in there is labeled 110v so I think I'm good there too.

I have another questions regarding a ball lifter that the guy threw in when I bought the machine but I'll make a separate post for that so things don't get lost in the clutter.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by hanabi View Post
    Hello, Welcome to PachiTalk!!

I have a Julie , although it's currently in storage so haven't played it for a while , I also have pinballs too

Here's a link to our Julie Manual:
    http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/local_links.php?catid=6&linkid=1541

'Julie' is actually Kenji Sawada
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_Sawada

and so of course the pachinko features a fab sound track including 'T O K I O'!!

Oh, nice! Glad to see fellow pinballers on here. I have a question regarding the "Julie" machine that you may be able to answer since you own one. When a ball goes down the top "Chance" hole into the spinny area it can split off toe the left or right. The right says "Out" and the left says "Start". I would have assumed if it goes left it would go down the red spiral to the pinball playfield, but it seems like balls just stack up inside there and don't release. Is this normal? Does something have to trigger those balls to go down the red spiral? I don't have the Card Read bypass dongle yet so haven't been able to actually play the game, just drop balls in the holes with the door open. So I'm not entirely sure how it should all function as far as the rule set goes! Her eis a pic of the area that I'm talking about. For some reason it is rotating the image all weird though.
    rsz_20190513_113634.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A little teaser with some of the music you will hear (not these graphics though) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO19nt7Hl9E

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Peteybob View Post
    A little teaser with some of the music you will hear (not these graphics though) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO19nt7Hl9E
    Haha! Oh man, that is so 80's! Can't wait to hear/see that in action on the machine!

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJubei View Post
    For some reason it is rotating the image all weird though.
    rsz_20190513_113634.jpg
    You can read this abut pics!!

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...s-Right-Way-Up!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh, nice! Glad to see fellow pinballers on here. I have a question regarding the "Julie" machine that you may be able to answer since you own one. When a ball goes down the top "Chance" hole into the spinny area it can split off toe the left or right. The right says "Out" and the left says "Start". I would have assumed if it goes left it would go down the red spiral to the pinball playfield, but it seems like balls just stack up inside there and don't release. Is this normal? Does something have to trigger those balls to go down the red spiral? I don't have the Card Read bypass dongle yet so haven't been able to actually play the game, just drop balls in the holes with the door open. So I'm not entirely sure how it should all function as far as the rule set goes! Her eis a pic of the area that I'm talking about. For some reason it is rotating the image all weird though.
    rsz_20190513_113634.jpg
    Nice machine, this one is fun and my first digipachi. Now I have a ton of them... you’ve been warned! Just keeping playing it once you get a dongle, eventually, once you get enough balls stored up you should get a “pinball chance” and it will release all the balls onto the “pinball” board and you control the flippers with the chance button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post
    Nice machine, this one is fun and my first digipachi. Now I have a ton of them... you’ve been warned! Just keeping playing it once you get a dongle, eventually, once you get enough balls stored up you should get a “pinball chance” and it will release all the balls onto the “pinball” board and you control the flippers with the chance button.
    I fear this may become like my pinball addiction - I bought my first one last year and now have three! I already have my eyes on a few other pachinko machines I'd really like to have including the Ranma 1/2 one, as I have a Ranma 1/2 tattoo on my arm haha. There's one on Yahoo Japan auction now for around $35 but I know shipping would be a couple hundred. But I do have friends and family in Japan that I can have them ship to me.

Regarding "Julie", there are small red flippers above the "chance" hole...do those ever flap? I'll probably end up PM'ing you sometime for more clarification on the rule set because I know zero about pachinko rules!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I fear this may become like my pinball addiction - I bought my first one last year and now have three! I already have my eyes on a few other pachinko machines I'd really like to have including the Ranma 1/2 one, as I have a Ranma 1/2 tattoo on my arm haha. There's one on Yahoo Japan auction now for around $35 but I know shipping would be a couple hundred. But I do have friends and family in Japan that I can have them ship to me.

Regarding "Julie", there are small red flippers above the "chance" hole...do those ever flap? I'll probably end up PM'ing you sometime for more clarification on the rule set because I know zero about pachinko rules!
    LOL at “shipping would be a couple hundred”.... try $400-500 range!

Only the flippers on the mini pinball game actually work, you just need to play it and all will be revealed! The Ranma 1/2 hanemono is great; I’ve got that one too.

Good, good....the machines have a hold of you already it seems!

Last edited by lotsoballs; 05-15-2019 at 02:52 PM.

21. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post
    LOL at “shipping would be a couple hundred”.... try $400-500 range!
    I actually have done quite a bit of shipping from Japan - I have an eBay store that sells with Japanese arcade games and parts. I've shipped things 30-50lbs before and usually it will run a couple hundred depending on how I ship it. It might be cheaper because I don't need to go through a service since my friends ship directly to me. I have them hunt down what I want then they are nice enough to package it and send. What is the average weight of a Pachinko machine out of curiosity?

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I actually have done quite a bit of shipping from Japan - I have an eBay store that sells with Japanese arcade games and parts. I've shipped things 30-50lbs before and usually it will run a couple hundred depending on how I ship it. It might be cheaper because I don't need to go through a service since my friends ship directly to me. I have them hunt down what I want then they are nice enough to package it and send. What is the average weight of a Pachinko machine out of curiosity?
    Newer ones are over 100lbs; my last one was 53kg shipping weight.

Yeah, $200 sounds right for a 40-50 lb shipment; I had 2 cells shipped recently that weighed just under 50lb and cost $212. However only 20 year old machines are that lightweight anymore.

Last edited by lotsoballs; 05-17-2019 at 08:21 AM.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Of course, no one has meantioned you have a machine in a Lumina frame. Which was one of the most used frames for different games.

If you can find the cels you can swap over.

Here is the list.

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...e-Lumina-Frame
    Ian #UKPachinko

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam