Thread: Which Brand

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Which Brand

Newbie just starting the adventure into Pachinko, interested in the original vintage machines. Although it appears Nishijin is the most prolific and abundant, is that the best place to start, or some of the lesser knowns? I plan to start with single play, move to conversions, and then to auto load. Is there a holy grail of machines, does one manufacturer stand out for higher quality machines.
    Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Which Brand

Although I'm more a modern guy, for a vintage as a starter, I would try to find a Nishijin model A , as these will require less refilling of the back trays. Just find one with an entertaining centre feature or good tulip pattern.
    Ian #UKPachinko

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Personally, my opinion is just find a machine you find interesting, and start there. They all have their little quirks, and similarities.

The more you enjoy it, the more you'll stick with it. I've got 9 machines around now, 2 of them installed and working, 3 that just need a final polish, and the last 4 in various degrees of "ick".

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Spear

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Your picture reminds me of traveling to Japan in the 80's and 90's, there was a chain of clubs called "Bunnie and Me".
    Thanks for your input.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Forgive my weighing-in, as I’m a novice, but I’m curious as to what is informing your decision to start with a single-shot machine and work your way “up”.

The very little I’ve experienced (I’m only on my second machine) has shown me that it’s not as simple as one manufacturer or style versus another.
    Remember that the single-shot machines are on the older end of the spectrum. As a result, each machine you find will have that much more wear (as Indy said, “it’s not the years, honey, it’s the mileage”) in addition to having fewer other similar machines to draw from. Not to mention that the older machines have a lot more metal parts that, generally, don’t age as well as some of their plastic counterparts.

Long-in-short, I’d agree with the more experienced people before me in that you should find a machine that strikes your fancy from what’s available to you, regardless of its make and model, and go from there. Don’t eschew a more “common” machine — that just means you’ll have a greater reservoir of knowledge (and parts, and documentation, and experience, et cetera) to draw from when dealing with the unexpected hiccups we all encounter in our hobbying.
    Find a machine that resonates with you. Whatever it is, the awesome people here will be happy to help you out, no matter the manufacturer.
    Personally, I just wish I’d started sooner.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A Nishijin Model B is a great first machine. Probably most imported variant. This makes it extremely common...therefore many parts machines available. There are also members making replacement parts for commonly missing or broken parts.
    That being said, I have a soft spot for single shots. Plus the older the better! The biggest problem with the older (50's era) machines is the few plastic ball paths that they do have...are brittle and crumble easily! Plus parts machines are hard to find...because you want to save ALL of them!
    I still keep an eye out for single ball conversions, or front overflow machines.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

single shots are neat..
    Model "A" machines are best for home play
    Model "B" machines are plentiful.
    Modlel "C" machines are usualy in nice condition..

my "Holy Grail machines" are vintage machines that require power.. love those
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you for your input, makes perfect sense. My thinking regarding the single shots was to learn from the beginning as the machines complexity evolved, and how different manufacturers addressed the task and how eventually one method becoming somewhat standardized. I certainly see the benefits of the more commonly available "B" series for parts and knowledge. Unfortunately, I am always drawn to the more unique, obscure, and eclectic items, How many people do you know that have a Corvair powered boat, they only made 96, Now those parts are really hard to find.
    Thanks again for the information.

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ThePachinkoGuy

Sandwich Shooter AnythingObscure's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ThePachinkoGuy
    I am always drawn to the more unique, obscure, and eclectic items
    Now THAT'S the kind of attitude that I (anyways, I'd suspect I'm not alone here?) can certainly understand/appreciate...!
    Tim
    "I didn't do it -- nobody saw me do it -- there's no way you can prove anything!" --Bart Simpson

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ThePachinkoGuy View Post
    Thank you for your input, makes perfect sense. My thinking regarding the single shots was to learn from the beginning as the machines complexity evolved, and how different manufacturers addressed the task and how eventually one method becoming somewhat standardized. I certainly see the benefits of the more commonly available "B" series for parts and knowledge. Unfortunately, I am always drawn to the more unique, obscure, and eclectic items, How many people do you know that have a Corvair powered boat, they only made 96, Now those parts are really hard to find.
    With that in mind, I’d recommend trying to locate a Nishijin special elec model (mid to late 70’s); there’s several, Powerflash being most common. These take electricity to operate solenoids that open tulips and some others have very unique center features that are electrically activated; why there’s one on eBay right now for the low low price $1295.00

Seriously though; they are a lot of fun and can be found way cheaper than that with some patience and diligent hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My sentiments exactly! With twenty something pachinko machines, I only look for something unusual. Machines from the '50s (almost all single shots) are typically very simple machines, without lights or tulips. That is why I was very happy to come across this one! http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?51803-50-s-Nisijin&highlight=martain

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was messing up the link...so I just posted above and continued here.
    Every time a jackpot is hit, a pair of doors open in the center and a red head pops out, then the doors shut. It suffers from the brittle and broken plastic ball paths that I mentioned earlier. It functions mechanically...if the ball entered the seesaw instead of falling on the floor! I never did fix the plastic...but I will figure something out someday.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am always drawn to the more unique, obscure, and eclectic items
    If you're looking for something unique, obscure, and eclectic you should check this out. https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n331890258 In USD it is only about $70 more than the $1295 dollar Powerflash posted on eBay. Of course shipping and deputy fees will be added, but you don't see half gauges for sale very often. I have the same machine in my collection. It is a ton of fun to play, but mostly I just look at it to save it from wear.

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder138 View Post
    If you're looking for something unique, obscure, and eclectic you should check this out. https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n331890258 In USD it is only about $70 more than the $1295 dollar Powerflash posted on eBay. Of course shipping and deputy fees will be added, but you don't see half gauges for sale very often. I have the same machine in my collection. It is a ton of fun to play, but mostly I just look at it to save it from wear.
    hiroabs777-img900x1200-1551854889kjjttx19202.jpg hiroabs777-img900x1200-15518548891xksnz19202.jpg

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

21. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Seems like Hokoku is the only brand of half gauge I have ever seen. Did any other company make them?