Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jackpot seesaw gets stuck

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Jackpot seesaw gets stuck

My jackpot seesaw gets stuck after a payout.

I've pulled the covers off and lubed all the pivot points I could find. I can't figure out where it's binding up.

It seems much more likely to happen when there are a lot of balls lined up in the hopper.

I noticed these screws on the jackpot seesaw. Is this some sort of adjustment? Might this help and if so how?

15483738150250.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Jackpot seesaw gets stuck

Lubing not necessary. It will attract dust and cause future binding. Looks like your jackpot tray dumps to the right (when looking from the back). Most dump to the left. I will check my Model A's to see if I have one that dumps to the right. I can't remember what action resets the jackpot tray.
    Do you have plenty of balls in the hopper? Low balls can cause payout problems. Also post pics of the various linkages. If something is out of place, it could cause the seesaw to not reset.

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Most pivot point are brass. No lube please. Clean, polish, and dry. Check the nail (pivot) that holds the seesaw is not to tight.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

no lube ever..

polish the pivot points.. there are often dissimilar metals there and can corrode / oxidize
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Post a pic of the full back. I have a single ball conversion machine that the jackpot tray dumps to the right. I'll tinker with it to see what resets the jackpot tray. If they are the same design...we will be able to figure it out!

8. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    no lube ever..

polish the pivot points.. there are often dissimilar metals there and can corrode / oxidize
    Ruh Roh. Too late. I sprayed some white lithium grease in there.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A few more photos of the back as requested. It's not this dirty anymore, I've at least blown the dust out.

I can't find anything that resets the seesaw other than gravity. The winning ball falls down a shoot, hits the end of the long jackpot lever. The jackpot lever dumps the tray through a linkage (that thing with the screws in the above pic). The ball rolls off the end of the lever and the lever lifts back up.

I tried loosening those screws and they appear to hold some weights which can slide left or right. Moving them made no difference.

It works pretty smoothly when there are very few balls in. It's when the balls build up behind the jackpot that there's a problem. The jackpot tray does touch the balls waiting to roll in as it tips up. That's what holds them back and keeps them from rolling right out of the feeder. I'm thinking maybe that jackpot tray needs some polish so there's less friction between it and the balls?

20190120_160531.jpg20190122_173713.jpg20190120_160557.jpg

11. The following user says "Thanks" to topper

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When you drop a ball into a jackpot...after the ball goes through the seesaw, it will unlatch this hook.KINDLE_CAMERA_1546648916000.jpg Located under the lower tray, behind a cover. Mine is clear, yours looks yellow. You should be able to see through it. The JP ball presses down a brass arm, that is connected to the JP tray. If your JP tray is not resetting, then this arm must not be returning to the "locked" (peg retained by hook) position. What do you have to do to reset the JP tray? And when you do it...is there any resistance?
    When I test a JP cycle...it happens so quickly, and everything is behind covers, making it hard to manually manipulate...it is hard to see what is causing it to return.
    I will keep cycling it, and watching, and trying to produce a malfunction to see what remedies it.
    I killed my laptop last night, so pics are taken with a Kindle in one hand and flashlight in the other. So pics will probably be bad!

13. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

From watching the JP cycles, all I can tell about JP tray resetting is: this counterweight returns the brass arm and JP tray to original position. KINDLE_CAMERA_1546651736000.jpg This is normal position. KINDLE_CAMERA_1546651854000.jpg This is the linkage rod blocking the counterweight...trying to get a better view if the weight.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by topper View Post
    I can't find anything that resets the seesaw other than gravity. The winning ball falls down a shoot, hits the end of the long jackpot lever. The jackpot lever dumps the tray through a linkage (that thing with the screws in the above pic). The ball rolls off the end of the lever and the lever lifts back up.

It works pretty smoothly when there are very few balls in. It's when the balls build up behind the jackpot that there's a problem.

20190120_160531.jpg20190122_173713.jpg20190120_160557.jpg
    "The balls roll off the end of the lever and the lever lifts back up." The lever is connected to the JP tray through the counterweight. If the lever lifts back up (from the counterweight) then the JP tray should also reset. It is the lever that tipped the JP tray afterall. "Its when the balls build up behind the jackpot that theres a problem." When you say "behind the jackpot", are you referring to the red part...also known as the seesaw. This would indicate that the problem is when multiple jackpots have been hit, and not processed yet. If that is what you mean, I haven't tested that yet. I just got done rereading your posts trying to process what you have tried. It makes more sense after I watch the JP cycle a few times then reread.
    Last edited by pachiwall; 01-25-2019 at 03:04 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The jackpot tray does touch the balls waiting to roll in as it tips up. That's what holds them back and keeps them from rolling right out of the feeder. I'm thinking maybe that jackpot tray needs some polish so there's less friction between it and the balls?
    That is a reasonable theory. There should always be a full load of balls pressing against the JP tray when it is dumping a JP...and thus holding back a full reservoir of balls. If friction is keeping the JP tray from resetting, then a good polish is a great idea!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What you're describing sounds exactly like what I'm seeing. The counter weight on the linkage is what returns the jackpot tray to normal position.

I've polished the lip of the jp tray that touches the balls as much as i can without removing it. Still no luck. I tried repositioning the counter weights and that didn't help either.

Do they sell these counterweights anywhere? Im wondering if I need more weight.

Is the lip on your jp tray (that holds the balls back) perfectly perpendicular to the tray or is it bent at a slight angle? Mine's perpendicular.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Perpendicular, perfect 90 degrees. KINDLE_CAMERA_1546695729000.jpg The glare is harsh, but I didn't want to pull the large nail that holds it in place.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I pulled the cover from over the long brass bar connected to the weights that the winning ball presses on...I'll call it the balance bar to keep it simple. Now I can move the locking hook and "feel" the balance bar. It feels smooth and light with a full tray of balls. When empty pressing the balance bar feels a little heavy due to the lack of weight on the tray. If yours feels different, check for binding somewhere. There are only 2 pivot points... one on the balance bar and one on the JP tray.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks. So you think it might be that the plates in the "balancer" are binding? I'm going to have to take a fair bit apart to get that out. I'm not sure I'm ready to dive into that.

I might try to add some addition weight to that pivot to see if it helps encourage the tray to tip back in place. When it sticks, it just takes a light nudge and it slides right down like it's supposed to.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

How does the linkage feel when unhooked and moved with your finger? Stiff throughout travel? Move easily with a hangup somewhere during travel?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When empty i feel no resistance at any point. Loaded with a lot of balls, I feel it stick when the trip lever bottoms out on the left.

The linkage with the counterweights is really loose. When I touch it with my finger it wiggles back and forth easily. Is that how yours is pachiwall?
    Last edited by topper; 01-25-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When empty i feel no resistance at any point. Loaded with a lot of balls, I feel it stick when the trip lever bottoms out on the left.
    The linkage with the counterweights is really loose. When I touch it with my finger it wiggles back and forth easily. Is that how yours is pachiwall?
    Does it feel like the sticking is on the trip lever side...or on the JP tray side?
    Where the rivet that holds the trip lever to the weight is wobbley. Where the rivet that holds the JP tray to the weight is wobbley as well.
    Last edited by pachiwall; 01-25-2019 at 11:15 PM.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It feels sticky on the tray side. I may have found something. There's what seems to be some sort of tape or coating in the tray and it's peeled up at the edge. It feels metallic but it's real flexible and it runs the length of both tracks of the jackpot tray.

The spot where it sticks out seems to be where it's catching. Any idea what this is? Is it supposed to be there?

15484736576820.jpg

26. The following user says "Thanks" to topper

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, not metallic. It's plastic, just felt metallic because of all the dust. It's definitely some kind of tape lining the bottom of the tracks in the payout tray.

I took an exacto knife and trimmed the bit of tape that's over hanging and EUREKA! The payout tray is resetting itself like a champ!

Thanks so much for all the troubleshooting help, guidance, and patience.

28. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to topper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast