Thread: First Pachinko, rocker setup Nishijin A help a noob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default First Pachinko, rocker setup Nishijin A help a noob

Hey! I just picked up a 1969 Nishijin A single ball with a "Partridge Family" graphic.

It's pretty crud covered. I've got a bunch of rusty Pachinko balls soaking in evapo-rust right now. I have a dozen or so clean balls to work with.

As best as I can tell, this is working pretty well except for the electronics. I've watched the setup videos and they've been super helpful. But there's still a few things I don't understand. I want to make sure I understand as much as possible about how it's supposed to work before I dive in and start taking things apart.

One thing I don't understand about game play on this machine is what I'll call the "jackpot hopper". Facing the front of the machine, there's a little window to the lower right just above the shooting mechanism. If I set the red weighted rocker in the back so it's tilted to the right, this little window will collect the jackpot balls up to about four or five, then start depositing the jackpot balls back in the shooter.

Once there's a ball in the hopper, if I switch the red weighted rocker to the left, then push a button on the front just above the ball play slot, it will start triggering jackpots with the balls queued up in the hopper.

Is that how it's supposed to work? And if so, what's the point of having that mode of play? I don't understand what's happening.

Here are some pics of the parts I'm talking about.

Thanks!

20190121_090643.jpg20190120_160557.jpg20190120_160512.jpg20190120_160444.jpg20190120_160531.jpg
    Last edited by topper; 01-21-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: First Pachinko, rocker setup Nishijin A help a noob

I don't know what it is really called...but I have always called it a "jackpot reserve chamber". When the (right hand side) seesaw is in the down position (as in 2 or more jackpots simultaneously) the additional jackpot balls go into the jackpot reserve chamber. They typically hold about 5 balls. This way if 2 balls fall in at the same time, you won't get ripped off with only 1 payout. You can press the lever immediately for your second payout, or save it for when you run out of balls. You can see it in the window, so you know you got credit for the extra jackpot.
    Why don't the top oart of the seesaw just hold the jackpot ball back untill the seesaw resets and payout automatically like newer models (such as the Model B does)? I dont know! Don't look like any majou changes in technology was made to make that happen. Quite the opposite. It tkes a lot more parts and technology to reroute the jackpot ball into the reserve chamber...then more parts to redirect it back to the seesaw to payout! I simply don't get it. I do, however, like the whole concept! There are many different variants of this system. I even have a Ginza from the '50s that has a "fake" jackpot reserve chamber, with no way for balls to enter, and no way for balls to get out. Just a window with chrome around it. I have a Heiwa that has a chamber, and an "elevator" that functions to lift balls from the chamber back to the seesaw...but for the life of me, I cant discover any way for a call to enter! Anoyher machine from the "50s , if the seesaw is down, the ball rolls around the seesaw...and is returned to the jackpot tray. So, if you get 2 jackpots at the same time...you get 1 payout, and your other winning ball is returned so you can try again!
    I have never owned (or played) one with the red window like yours. I have seen them a lot for sale...but never aquired one. My best guess is it will hold a certain number (maybe 5) of balls, then if you don't redeem them, and hit a 6th jackpot, it returns to the shooter. Even if you don't get a jackpot, you get the winning ball back. Kind of like "you didn't get paid, but it's your own fault". But what does the white trip lever do?
    I find the jackpot resreve chambers fascinating, as there are so many variations of complex design, that all seems unnecessary...due to the utter simplicity of what superceeded it!
    Since it rarely comes into play...I mean, seriously, how many times do you hit multiple jackpots on a single shot machine? I like to place the seesaw into the "down" position, then manually drop 5 balls into the winning cups to fill the reserve chamber. The fill the front tray to play as usual. When tou run out of balls, instead of reaching around the back...simply push the lever and the machine dispenses 15 more balls!

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's helpful, thanks!

I'll have to experiment with it a little bit but as far as I can tell the white trip lever on the jackpot reserve doesn't do anything (at the moment it certainly doesn't do anything but I can't tell if it ever had a function).

What you're describing is how mine is working and I like the idea of pre-loading the reserve to extend play.

That means mechanically my machine is working properly (as far as I can tell). But there's still at least one set of levers on the back that don't seem to do anything. I'll post some pics tonight after work. Maybe someone can tell me how they're supposed to be used.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for all the help. I actually triggered this function while playing today. I frequently feed two balls in at a time to speed up play and they both scored! One tripped the jackpot and the other went into the "reserve" just like you described.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to topper