Thread: Optical sensor bad? Wiring? Kung Fu Lady machine, E1 error

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Optical sensor bad? Wiring? Kung Fu Lady machine, E1 error

Hello, and thank you for the valuable resource.

So far, I have browsed quite a bit in trying to figure out what's up with this machine. It's not mine, it's my grandfathers machine. I'd love to fix it for him, he'd be thrilled. As would the rest of the family, as everyone loves playing his Pachi machine (though, everyone calls it a slot machine, which prior to investigating this, I did too.. And I certainly will not do that anymore now that I actually know what it is)

So what's happening is the thing was definitely absolutely terribly 100% jammed up. Lots of coins stuck in there, not a very fun time clearing out all of those coins, though glad the motor didn't burn out. Cleared it out and all seemed well... Until it went to spit coins out. It'll usually spit out 2 coins then immediately E1 and stop responding. Need to reset it when it does this. It does the same thing when manually pushing the red button inside to spit out coins directly, but I can usually hit the yellow button (reverse the hopper motor) and it'll let me hit the red button again after a few seconds... but after 2 or 3 times, i have to do a full reset for it to start responding again.

While this seems like a clear-cut hopper sensor problem (to me at least.. Though I keep seeing E1 can be RAM on most machines.. Which, to be honest, I have no clue how to identify the manufacturer.. Everything is written in kanji), the real issue is the amount of variations between machines.. This is NOT the machine I'm working on, but it does appear to be the exact same model:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THs4nCTxFV8

How would I know whether this is optical, mechanical, etc? I fix plenty of electronics and mechanical stuff, but this is my grandfathers machine, and I really don't want to pull the hopper apart and not be able to fix it or put it back together. I'd love to know what I'm getting into before I start actually unscrewing and taking stuff apart, so if anyone can possibly give me a heads up on whether I should expect mechanical or optical and if there are any snags a Pachi newbie should watch out for in taking his first hopper apart, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Optical sensor bad? Wiring? Kung Fu Lady machine, E1 error

most machines have a line of leds on them indicating what if any button or sensor is active. so you can test all thw buttons, start lever, reset switch etc. That may help. or take the hopper out and check that the photocell is actally getting blocked by something when the token comes out. there is normally a spring loaded plastic pivoted lever that passes through the PC when a token leaves the hopper.

another basic way would be to on purpose block the photocell on the hopper and see if the machine goes into error,
    Ian #UKPachinko

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Your machine was manufactured by Yamasa, in 1999. http://www1.yamasa.co.jp/lady/ladyf.htm

Though a E-1 error code on most machines is a RAM error, on Yamasa machines a E-1 error code is a hopper jam.

Here is a list of error codes for your machine.

Yamasa Error Codes.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

5. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you both for the responses. If I had to guess based on how it's performing, the optical sensor is dirty, and while it lets a few coins out, it never 'sees' that coins are passing because all it sees is dirt so it errors out. Will definitely take a stab at cleaning the sensor and seeing if this resolves the issue. I'll take pictures all along the process for possible tutorial purposes. Also, those error codes are definitely helpful, as E5 was definitely what was happening when it was completely jammed up and not spinning. Glad to know specifics of the model, will certainly help in future troubleshooting.