Thread: Matrix single color went out on group of LEDs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Matrix single color went out on group of LEDs

Hi, could really use some input on this one. Recently I lost one color (red) in just the “X” of my Matrix machine. There is like 5 tri-color LEDs behind the “X”. Here’s what I’ve done so far with no success: tore machine down to LED board behind the X. Board looks good as well as all connections on the way to it. The tri-color leds are a 6 leg surface mount, that’s all that’s on that board. From the led board is a 7 pin connector going to the “atri” letters’ light board, from there to a 30? Pin (roughly as I didn’t count them all) connecter that goes to a resistor board. Thought for sure one of these resistors would be the culprit since it is a group and just one color that went out. They check out. Tried reflowing some solder and swapping a couple just for a shot even though they checked out. Keep tracing back to a second resistor board - same thing there. From there it just goes back to main logic board. Really hoping the issue doesn’t reside there! I was afraid I was going to get into those tiny surface mount resistors, but this thing seems very well designed with those remote resistor boards with standard through hole resistors, very easy to change out. However I’m just going by following traces and wires and guessing what legs on the led are for the red.. any input would be greatly appreciated! Wondering if anyone else ran into this issue with any machine and fixed it.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Matrix single color went out on group of LEDs

After several attempts, I seem to have it resolved. Came down to a cold solder joint on the first LED in the group which took out the same color in all LEDs after it.

3. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to thrasherwr