Thread: How are your machines plugged in?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default How are your machines plugged in?

So here is a new idea for a topic.

I was looking at my machines yesterday. I keep them all plugged into a surge protector power strip and when I want to turn the machines on I flip the on/off button on the power strip itself.

Is this how everyone’s set up is?

I ask because many machines have an independent on off switch located somewhere on the back. And sometimes my machines are used so infrequently that they need a ram reset or for example on my Batman machine I need to reset the date for some reason if it’s been left off too long.

My question is, does anyone leave the power running to their machines all the time and just turns them off manually (in the back)?

That way the unit is still getting power so technically the CPU is still getting some energy. I wonder if that is better for the machine. I do know that the power adapter would be warm all the time as well. I’m not sure if that is a concern.

Anyway I’d love to hear how your games are set up!

Do you think manually plugging & unplugging them is best OR using a power strip like I have and switching power there is best OR keeping them plugged in all the time & just flipping them on/off on the unit is best?
    Calypso

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: How are your machines plugged in?

All of the pachinko machines I've seen the power switch on the back of the machine is inline with the 24Vac feed to the machines power board. If you switch it off, then the whole machine is off. There is no 'extra' power getting to the CPU to keep the memory, so in that respect it is no different to switching them off at a power strip.

If you do leave the power strip on, and only use the switch on the back of the machine, then the transformer will still be energised. You will always get the core losses in a wound transformer, even if there is no load on the transformer, so it will always be using some parasitic power. Depending on the size and quality of the transformer, this could be several watts of power wasted, and over the course of a year each machine could add a few dollars to your power bills. (If you have a 'kill-a-watt' type meter, you can measure the difference).

Over here in the UK, we are one of the few countries where the wall sockets usually have switches for each outlet, and I switch my machines off at the wall socket. In my workshop/shed, I have a separate breaker box for the sockets, and it's easier to switch all the games off with the breaker.

3. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have mine going to a UPS, the UPS I turn on or off. The UPS for the pachinko wall is one with the LCD screen that says how much power is being used. Having them off that way does mean you occasionally need to open them up and hit the operator reset 'inside' before they will play. I have smaller 850 brick UPSes for the stand alone ones that aren't in a wall, the cocktail arcade, and pinball machines.

I'm chicken, practically everything in my house goes to UPSes, every few years one dies and I have to go get new batteries, or a new UPS if the charger part croaks.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Daverob!

I have tried both ways I mention above with my machines. But my Batman does continue to draw power even when "off" on the back of the unit. (there is a little red light that shows its getting power). I am not sure why the clock feature is on it, but it may have to do with keeping the time set?!

That is really where this curiosity came from. My transformers game often needs a RAM reset, however (more often than others) when off for too long. Star Wars:BODV rarely also requires one!

But I understand your thinking that "when the switch is set to "off" whether it be the Power strip OR the unit, it shouldn't be taking power. Batman appears to be the only one that does.

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    All of the pachinko machines I've seen the power switch on the back of the machine is inline with the 24Vac feed to the machines power board. If you switch it off, then the whole machine is off. There is no 'extra' power getting to the CPU to keep the memory, so in that respect it is no different to switching them off at a power strip.

If you do leave the power strip on, and only use the switch on the back of the machine, then the transformer will still be energised. You will always get the core losses in a wound transformer, even if there is no load on the transformer, so it will always be using some parasitic power. Depending on the size and quality of the transformer, this could be several watts of power wasted, and over the course of a year each machine could add a few dollars to your power bills. (If you have a 'kill-a-watt' type meter, you can measure the difference).

Over here in the UK, we are one of the few countries where the wall sockets usually have switches for each outlet, and I switch my machines off at the wall socket. In my workshop/shed, I have a separate breaker box for the sockets, and it's easier to switch all the games off with the breaker.
    Last edited by Calypso; 12-15-2018 at 12:48 AM.
    Calypso

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks DOA.

Always interesting to hear how others have their "set-up" rigged!

Quote Originally Posted by doa12 View Post
    I have mine going to a UPS, the UPS I turn on or off. The UPS for the pachinko wall is one with the LCD screen that says how much power is being used. Having them off that way does mean you occasionally need to open them up and hit the operator reset 'inside' before they will play. I have smaller 850 brick UPSes for the stand alone ones that aren't in a wall, the cocktail arcade, and pinball machines.

I'm chicken, practically everything in my house goes to UPSes, every few years one dies and I have to go get new batteries, or a new UPS if the charger part croaks.
    Calypso

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

As also in the UK I have a small distribution board connected to the mains outlet via a wifi enabled socket. meanng all the wiring is hidden inside the cabinet and no need to open the machines to turn on.

The distribution board has the 240v coming in then gets split to run a 500va 24vac transformer to run 1 machine, 3x ball lifters and data counters., A 240-100vac transformer to run pachislos and another 500va 100-24VAC transformer, good enough to run 2 more pachinkos. All inputs and outputs to each transfomer has its own fuse for protection as well
    Ian #UKPachinko

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When we do an install in the wall, we install a switched outlet inside the cabinet so the client can just flip a light switch next to the cabinet to power on and off the whole thing.
    We always recommend not leaving them on all the time - a hot transformer hidden in the wall is not something we'd want to be liable for... just our opinion.

And yes they will still have to do a reset on most machines every once in awhile.

11. The following user says "Thanks" to billyp203

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Bill! I may be contacting you soon about an order we discussed! PM me if you have lost the email string!
    Calypso

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Whenever your ready!

Sandwich Shooter stampeed valkyrie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think I mentioned this before, but I have my machines connected to a UPS. I can connect 3 or 4 to 1 UPS and when I power on the UPS it powers up all the machines.
    I currently have 3 UPS units doing this, with 1 connected to a bank of 4 machines.

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to stampeed valkyrie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have my machines plugged into surge protectors. 2 machines per strip. I then have the surge protectors plugged into wemo switches that I can control with either an app on my phone or with my Amazon Alexa. This is mostly for the cool factor of being able to walk into my game room and simply say "Alexa, turn on Jaws" and my Jaws machine spring to life.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

17. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Card Shark View Post
    I have my machines plugged into surge protectors. 2 machines per strip. I then have the surge protectors plugged into wemo switches that I can control with either an app on my phone or with my Amazon Alexa. This is mostly for the cool factor of being able to walk into my game room and simply say "Alexa, turn on Jaws" and my Jaws machine spring to life.
    Cool sounding idea