Thread: Playfield Plywood

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Playfield Plywood

Has anyone here ever cut a new playfield from Mohogany plywood, cut the holes and then nail the pins in from scratch? I measured the plywood on my other machine and it is 20mm thick but I'm curious if 3/4" would work. 3/4" is slightly thinner.

I picked up 3 machines recently from an antique shop that was going out of business. The one I'm concerned with is a 1975 Nishijin B with a Poker Zodiac Center. I've completely dissasembled this one and the playfield plywood is completely rotted but the mechanics are are OK.

Really, is it even worth it? Or should I just clean and stow the other parts for another machine later?
    20181209_142635.jpg20181209_142523.jpg20181209_142515.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Playfield Plywood

Sounds like a great project to me! I wouldn't think you would need mahogany plywood. Cheaper plywood would do I'm sure, unless you already had the mahogany. I bet 3/4 would work OK.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

we had a member do a new play field out of acrylic several years back..

the only issues i can think of is the thickens of the tulips and other features that pass threw the ply.. also keep in mind most ply that is sold as 3/4" thick is actually thinner and measure 23/32.. hardwood plys might be closer to the actual measurement..

keep us posted
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK cool then. I was actually expecting a "Don't go there" response but I think it will be worth it to give it a go. I think you're right about the hardwood ply though Mopar, I may consider maple instead of mohogany.

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to velcrobomb

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by velcrobomb View Post
    OK cool then. I was actually expecting a "Don't go there" response but I think it will be worth it to give it a go. I think you're right about the hardwood ply though Mopar, I may consider maple instead of mohogany.

as an after thought ya might consider gluing a door skin or the like to one side to build thickness
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the mahogany plywood or other hardwood is only the surface veneer. the interior plys may be decent quality and maybe not. also, if it's for the playfield you'll be covering it up anyway. i would use quality baltic birch sourced from a lumber yard as opposed to the box stores. ApplePly is another great choice.
    Cool Tron avatar.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

9. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had one that was rotted. As long as it is intact, I glued mine back by taking wood glue and smearing it in between the layers and and using boards and clamps. It took about 4 -5 times to get it back solid and now it is fine. I just warn you that you should pre drill the races hole and those filled in but the rest I could hammer away.

So so you may be able to keep the board. Mine was separated like a deck of cards.
    Jewelry Metalworking, Chainmaille, Pachinko
    Pliers make me happy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I also am working on a machine that the back board was in rough shape. I did the glue and clamp method and it came out pretty good. Keep in mind as long as it’s functional, that’s all you need. Doesn’t have to look good!

12. The following user says "Thanks" to MagicDan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I took a little time off to take care of some other things. I started this back up today. I bought a peice of 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood and cut it to 18"x23-3/4". I used some laquer thinner and a wide putty knife to separate the top layer of the original plywood off. I clamped it to the new peice of wood and traced the cut holes, nail holes and raceway holes.
    I intend to use the top layer of the original plywood as a router guide to cut the new holes.
    The pocket holes and the lower portion of the tulip holes in the plywood look to be drilled in at an angle which I believe will be the trickiest part. From what I gather they are at a 19° angle (from 90°). I plan to make a jig to drill them.
    Honestly, If I get this new plywood to work the first time, I'll be impressed with myself.
    I think I want to make another jig for the nail holes as well and drill pilot holes for them all.
    I'll post some pics in a couple of days.

14. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to velcrobomb

Thanks
    Thanks Received

All of the nail holes are drilled at an angle which is the trickiest part.

Usually when setting nails they should be set between 3-5 degrees, with 4 degrees being optimal. Of course that is the angle off of 90 degrees pointing towards the top of the playfield.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm getting things mixed up again.

Nail angles are set to 0-12 degrees. Usually when we rebuild machines we set all the nails to 4 degrees.

This is a handy little gauge that we got a few of (years ago) but it gives you a lot of information.
    http://www.ohirasyoukai.com/kougu/ka..._gauge006.html
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 02-10-2019 at 04:13 PM.

100 machines and counting...

17. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So I got a set of metric forstner bits 15mm-21mm for $15 on amazon because the auger bits really chewed up the the veneer on the plywood. My second attempt went much better. I traced all of the larger holes from the original playfield top veneer layer.
    taped holes.jpg
    I then put some masking tape over the areas where I'd drill through and traced again over the tape. I used a small framing square to find the exact spot jackpot hole center and then put the veneer back on to sanity check my placement. I clamped a backer peice of plywood to the bottom so I wouldn't blow out the back. I left the veneer on as I drilled the 3" jackpot hole with a holesaw bit.
    20190228_165419.jpg
    I removed the veneer again and started to drill the rest of the holes to get my router started. I used a circle template to get all of the diameters of the circles.
    20190228_170432.jpg
    I then went to town with the forstner bits.
    20190228_172210.jpg

There are three pockets on this playfield that had to be drilled at an angle. It was about 19°. God bless Harbor Frieght. They had this little gem there for 19 bucks and I had a coupon!
    20190228_173644.jpg
    It isn't the most sturdy tool, but it did the job. I suggest having a friend help you with this and hold the jig down while you drill so the bit doesn't jump.
    Once all of the pilot holes were drilled, I removed the tape and used the router to cut to my pencil lines of the original template.
    20190228_174049.jpg20190301_134702.jpg
    I then taped the old playfield graphic to the new board to see how close my cuts were. I had to to a little more cutting with the router, but not too much.
    20190301_135140.jpg
    I drilled all of the track holes with a 1/16" bit. And finally, I'm working on the playfield pin holes. Another thread here has a 3D printer file for a nail template that is set at 4° off of 90 that I had a buddy print up for me. I'm using this as a drill guide with the 1/16" bit to pilot hole all of the playfield pins. Very tedeous but so far it seems to be working out.
    20190301_210935.jpg

19. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to velcrobomb

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here's the plywood now with all of the pre-drilled holes. Waiting on the graphics to come in the mail before I continue.
    20190302_170627.jpg That hole above the jackpot hole is intended to be offset to the right a bit.

Here's my exact machine restored at Pachinko Planet

21. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to velcrobomb

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great Job, looking good!

23. The following user says "Thanks" to Spear

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Took about 2 weeks for the playfield graphic to come in so slow progress right now.
    20190314_203828.jpg
    Can anyone point me to a thread where there's a discussion on how to make your own playfield graphics? Honestly, I think it'd be cheaper and faster to have them printed up at a local printer that does window graphics or wraps.

Anyway, I plan to get the back ramps on this weekend and hopefully working correctly.
    Here's what I have to reproduce:
    20181205_174849.jpg

25. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to velcrobomb

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Making some progress boys:
    20190317_175550.jpg
    Took me a little longer than I thought because I forgot to clean up and paint the attractions. They pop now!
    TopPocket.PNGCenterPiece.PNG
    Still crossing my fingers that everything in the back will line up. I'll keep posting status updates throughout the week. Next up is to attach the playfield back to the front frame.

27. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to velcrobomb

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm done! Machine is working well so far. 3 of 4 of the lights worked for about 10 minutes then burnt out. Not surprised. Everything went back together surprisingly easy. I used the old back ply to line up the ramps for the jackpot and I had to make a few things just fit, but overall, it really wasn't that terribly difficult. Just needed the right tools. I've been working on it for 2 days straight. Called in sick to work so I could finish
    I'm burnt tonight, but very excited to have it done. I'll take some pics and maybe a vid and post tomorrow.
    Thank you guys for all the suggestions and moral support!

29. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to velcrobomb

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."