Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Pachinko Machine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question First Pachinko Machine

Hello. Obviously I'm new here, and I had a few questions for the community.

I went to a swap meet a couple days ago and a person there was selling this. I've always thought pachinko machines were cool, and stumbling across one where I live was too tempting to pass up, so as you can see I bought it for $75. Probably not a great deal, but hey, I got my first pachinko

I'm sure this great community can tell me more, but from some of the basic research I've done, it's a Heiwa type 2 I believe, from what I've seen in pictures. The lady who sold it to me told me her grand kids had played with it for years, so it worked at some point. It's been in storage a while though, definitely dusty, but other than that seems to be in decent shape. Nothing is obviously broken, frame is intact, play-field condition isn't terrible, and we tried running a few balls through from the supply tray but they got stuck in what I believe is the jackpot area in the middle, and they won't feed into into the machine from the front. After some exploration and experimentation, I think it may just need to be cleaned to make sure everything is working together. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I have a few simple questions:

1) Can we determine a date? The label on the front (pic 6) is covered up with some kind of sticker. If I had to guess I would say '70s?

2) Do I need to power this machine? I read most of the vintage machines are primarily gravity-operated. I didn't see any obvious transformers, just the unit where you put in a fuse and hook up power to the lights. Again, newb, so not sure.

3) What does the "Custom" badge mean? Doing a Google image search, I found there were other "Custom" Heiwa machines, but I have yet to see one with my play-field. Websites so far haven't bothered explaining.

4) In pic 4, (it might be hard to see, sorry) is the blue arm supposed to be hooked to the yellow piece above it? When we put balls through it that's where they got stuck.

5) On vintagepachinko.com, I found this DVD about Heiwa restoration. Would this be a good purchase for cleaning/maintaining my machine?

Well, I think that about covers it. Anything else I should know? Again I'm new to this. My biggest concern is just getting it working properly, which I don't think it's far off, but I'm just trying to be optimistic. If you need more/better pictures I'll do my best to accommodate.

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it. Sorry if the post is a little long

20181029_195830.jpg20181029_195849.jpg20181029_195950.jpg20181029_200103.jpg20181029_200122.jpg20181029_200238.jpg20181029_195805.jpg

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to SpaceKnight

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: First Pachinko Machine

Hello and welcome. Nice machine

Mid 70's would be a good guess for date without seeing the date code. Probably under that sticker.

Fully mechanical, power just for lights.

Custom is just a badge or model.

Those parts are the jackpot mechanism. Yellow part holds the balls in till a jackpot is hit. Take the cover off to see how it moves up to release the jackpot.

Looks like the overflow wire is on the wrong side of the shooter. You,ll also need a lower ball track cover to keep the balls feeding the jackpot correctly.
    How many balls do you have? You need a few hundred minimum. Enough to fill the tracks in back all the way to the upper hopper. There are 2 mechanisms that will stop play without enough. 1 right below the hopper to stop the feed to the shooter and the pair of fingers in the lower ball track to prevent payout if you have a balll shortage.

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

looks like Tink answered most of your questions. and i agree..

biggest question is how many balls do you have??

Looks like a great first machine.. with the clear back it will make learning how the machine works easy..

take a look at this thread.. it is not a different brand machine but it works the same way yours does..

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...-Model-B-Video

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the welcome and the info!

I definitely don't have enough balls; there were about 20 pachinko balls floating around in the machine. From what I've read, 250 is a safe minimum, 500-1000 recommended so you don't have to load the machine as often. Oh, and genuine pachinko balls only; I made sure to find that out because the lady who sold it to me suggested buying bearing balls in bulk, but I found out they are too dense, and can ruin the machine. Thankfully genuine second-hand balls from Japan are reasonably priced, especially compared to traditional bearing balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    Looks like the overflow wire is on the wrong side of the shooter. You,ll also need a lower ball track cover to keep the balls feeding the jackpot correctly.
    I had a suspicion that that was one of the issues, I'll take a closer look. I will keep an eye out for that part as well.

The machine definitely needs some tlc, but it gives me confidence that it's in decent shape. Seems I'm off to a good start.

Thanks again for the welcome and replies!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

8. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to SpaceKnight

Thanks
    Thanks Received

One more question, is soapy lukewarm water safe to clean the plastic parts? And what about something like Deoxit if I needed to lube some of the metal connections? Some things get "addicted" to things like WD-40, so I want to avoid using it.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default First Pachinko Machine

No lube! Just get all the moving parts (and non-moving parts for that matter, chutes ect) cleaned really well, soapy hot water works well. You may have to remove the see saws to clean them well and polish any gunk/tarnish off the pivot points and linkages; that alone makes a world of difference if they “stick”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lotsoballs; 10-30-2018 at 01:27 PM.

11. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Alright, I have 500 balls on the way, so that's one thing off the list.

I do need some clarification on something though:

Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    Looks like the overflow wire is on the wrong side of the shooter.
    Sorry Tink, I thought I understood which wire you were referring to, but I guess I don't :/ is it the wire on the left side of the plastic cam? And the white piece it's attached to is part of the overflow mechanism?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's the one.20181031_054823-1.jpg

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh ok, so it is supposed to be free floating. Thanks for the clarification!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Alright, so my pachinko balls and lower track cover both arrived today! Quick shout out to Pachinko Restorations for having the part available and prompt shipping.

I made some simple feet as well to make it more stable. As luck would have it, I may already have a cabinet I can put it in.

I also wanted to see if any of you had any experience using this Never-Dull product. I was thinking of using a little bit in an unnoticeable place so see what happens.

Now that my work station is set up I can start cleaning it. Hoping I can get it all done over the weekend. Oh and I got the overflow wire where it's supposed to be. If I have any questions or concerns, I'll be sure to check out the forum.

Thanks!

17. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to SpaceKnight

Thanks
    Thanks Received

never dull is a great product for brass...

congrats on the parts
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

19. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, I think I'll call that good on the front. Removed the frame around the cell, disassembled and cleaned both ball trays and launch feeder, cleaned cell and polished nails. I think it cleaned up rather nicely.

Now on to the trickier, more intimidating part: the machine itself. I've been taking some time to really study how things are connected and watching videos so I don't screw it up. Shouldn't be a problem. Need to get the grime cleaned out so I can test it!

21. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to SpaceKnight

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congrats on getting this machine

"The Kissing Couple" was one of my first Pachinko Machines that I restored while on Active U.S. Army Duty state side in 2002

The couples paint was flaking so I did a metallic repaint (sorry , no restoration photos . A Verrry Lonng story ) and it had a solid wood addition frame around it I think that I got mine for about $100 with shipping included off of Ebay .

Good luck with the restoration and to Polish the Brass and Chrome I started using the Miracle Cloth

https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Purpo...=miracle+cloth
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

23. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looking good

25. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by takethecastle57 View Post
    Congrats on getting this machine

"The Kissing Couple" was one of my first Pachinko Machines that I restored while on Active U.S. Army Duty state side in 2002

The couples paint was flaking so I did a metallic repaint (sorry , no restoration photos . A Verrry Lonng story ) and it had a solid wood addition frame around it I think that I got mine for about $100 with shipping included off of Ebay .

Good luck with the restoration and to Polish the Brass and Chrome I started using the Miracle Cloth
    Thank you for your service! And thanks for the info. It's a simple but fun machine. The paint is flaking pretty bad. What kind of paint is best for a new coat?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Lots of q-tips and a mild cleaner. I sprayed it into a small cup and dipped, dabbed off excess, and went to work with a paper towel or rag close by to catch any excess moisture.

Read ads up in the sticky posts for tips. Take some pictures along the way, you will be thrilled to see progress!
    Jewelry Metalworking, Chainmaille, Pachinko
    Pliers make me happy

28. The following user says "Thanks" to Rumpled

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just a quick update. before I start taking the back of the machine apart, I thought it might be a good idea to test out...and it seems to work beautifully! Tulips open and close, pays out jackpots well, even when won in rapid succession; it's kind of incredible how well they work for looking so simple. I'll try to get some good video of it working.

I still have some work to, but knowing that it functions well is really encouraging.

30. The following user says "Thanks" to SpaceKnight

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Alright, so here is a video of a test run:

We have pachinko!

Pachinko machines really are a neat idea, and I'm excited to finish the cleaning and start work on the second machine. Then it's on to making a double cabinet; my brother and I already have a couple ideas we will try out.

On a side note, what's the best way to completely empty the machine of balls after a test? The ball dump will empty any balls in the jackpot hopper up top as well as the upper ball track, so do I just have to keep feeding balls through the pockets and manually trigger the jackpot? Just curious, thanks!

32. The following user says "Thanks" to SpaceKnight

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks great....with the ball dump open manually activate the jackpot a few times to clear the remaining balls. There is usually an access hole near the ball dump legs if covers block the jackpot linkage.

34. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Shoot, I forgot to ask this in last post as well, but does anyone know the exact size of the e clips on this machine? I thought they were 3mm, but they're too big. I'm thinking 2mm? I can find the right screws and washers, but none of my local hardware stores have the right clips. It's frustrating

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast