Thread: Electrical calculations...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Electrical calculations...

New member, first Pachinko machine; 1976 Sankyo.

I am refurbishing this machine and want to add a few more lights to the circuit. I have determined how to wire the lights in, but am trying to determine the additional current draw they will produce. I'm not really sure what the wattage and current draw are for the two lights that are currently in the machine. I have it wired to a 9V battery now.

The bulbs I am considering adding are E5 size incandescent. (I tried some replacement LED bulbs for the lights that are currently in the machine and wasn't happy with the results.)

The specs on these incandescent bulbs I am considering are:

6V - 0.2A - 1.2W
    14V - 0.08A - 1.12W

There would be five of them wired in parallel. My question is, if I apply 9V to either of these bulbs, what will the resulting current and wattage be for each?

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Electrical calculations...

I would not recommend running 6V bulbs at 9V, they will be bright, but not last long.
    9V on the 6V bulb would run near 1.8Watt, 9V on the 14V bulbs would run near .72Watt

I have found using 12 Volt bulbs with a 9 volt wall adapter with 1A rating will power 5 bulbs nicely.

3. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    I would not recommend running 6V bulbs at 9V, they will be bright, but not last long.
    9V on the 6V bulb would run near 1.8Watt, 9V on the 14V bulbs would run near .72Watt

I have found using 12 Volt bulbs with a 9 volt wall adapter with 1A rating will power 5 bulbs nicely.
    Not that I am doubting your calculations (9 x 0.2 = 1.8 and 9 x 0.08 = 0.72) but wouldn't the current drawn by the bulb also change with the change in voltage? This was the element I wasn't sure how to calculate initially.

Thanks!

(BTW: I've ordered a bunch of different voltage/wattage bulbs to try out. 12V doesn't seem to be as common in E10 and E5 sizes as 6.3V, 14V, 18V, 28V.)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Incandescents are the worst for calculating, based on the current draws of the recommended voltage we can make that estimated calculation, the actuals will be different of course as the filament resistance will change with varied voltage.

I use the E10 Base bulbs from Newark. Been very happy with them so far.

Here is what I use:

Newark w577-5 or g387 for the mini's
    Last edited by Tink; 10-29-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks! I checked the Newark website. I had already ordered some 12V E10 globe style bulbs with similar specs from another supplier, but I'll bookmark the Newark site for future reference. Seems a lot of the Newark bulbs ship from a UK warehouse, so there is a $20 freight charge.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah but if you order enough it"s no so bad. I usually order 20 + at a time.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Have you considered just going with LED? It's what I've been putting in my machines, don't have to doink around with changing bulbs, and a lot of options with much less power draw.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Spear

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I tried some replacement LED bulbs that fit the existing E10 sockets but wasn't happy with the way the lighting looked. I also bought an RGB LED tape light strip and controller thinking I would add it at the top and sides of the play area and connect it to the jackpot switch but am having second thoughts about putting it in; the effect seems too "modern" for this vintage machine. So I am currently thinking of just sticking with the "vintage" lighting look and putting additional incandescent bulbs behind one or both orange lenses at the top, and behind the colored lenses on the right side, that have no lighting now, except for the red lens which is the low ball indicator. These would also be controlled by the jackpot switch. I might still use the LED strip at the top of the play area, but just as an ambient multi-color crossfading effect, not as a flashing jackpot effect.

Sankyo.jpg