Thread: Hello from Somerset, England

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Hello from Somerset, England

Hi all,

Well here's a tale and a half for you!

In 1999 I worked for a company called PCP, they were once an independent company spun out (as they would say nowadays) of an even older
    company called Peter Simper based in Bath, Somerset, England. Peter Simper 'missed the boat' when IC based machines came along and were
    still using relays right up to the early 80's. They pretty much just quietly faded out of existence, but did leave PCP and another related company.

Anyway, PCP once used to do 'rebuilds' - I'm not sure this is something you have / had in the US (I'm assuming this is a mainly US forum due to the 110V nature of the machines?)
    but this is where a machine made by a 'top tier' manufacturer would be stripped down and most of the electronic, mechanical parts and cabinet re-used but new glass
    and software added. So a 5 year old machine by 'Barcrest' that was a bit tired could get another 3-5 years of use as a completely different machine. PCP would make, convert,
    but also sell kits to renting companies to do their own conversions in their own workshops.

PCP was bought out by Electrocoin, another large UK company, but kind of an also-ran if I'm honest, and PCP continued not producing rebuilds but complete machines
    for export to European countries which were seen as a developing market in the early 90's.

Anyway, one thing trialled by Electrocoin, and developed by PCP, was the conversion of Pachislo machines to UK 10p currency with a £3 (300p) jackpot.
    PCP were responsible for converting some machines, and adjusting the software to suit UK laws.

I don't really know how well the project went, but I assume it was a failure. I have seen a couple of the machines on eBay over the years but never heard of one 'in the wild'.

In a rare bid of generosity, in 1999 (by the way I left PCP in 2000) they gave away a load of stuff from the stores to employees to get rid of rubbish.

I took 4(!) of the Pachislo machines which were in various states. To cut a long story short, I sold three of them about 2 years later, completely forgetting that
    I had given one to an old college friend.

I have just been given that 4th machine back, totally forgetting that I ever gave it to him and certainly never expecting him to still have it!

DSC_1358.JPGDSC_1359.JPG

This machine has UK software, but still has the original Japanese token mech (the more-complete conversions I sold had US made coin-comparators), modified hoppers,
    and in fact on this one a UK 10P won't even fit through the front bezel, probably a good thing as this site doesn't condone real money use!
    It's currently using Dave & Busters tokens, which by the way we had 2 over here for a few years, they are long gone now. There was a 3rd fully completed
    but never opened, what a waste!

As you can see some of the decals are missing but the UK top box with UK money is present - even though it's very much token only!

I haven't worked in the industry since 2000 btw and although I do now (only just) have a collection of UK style 'fruit machines' I don't know
    or keep in touch with anyone from those days. Plus, these types of machines are fairly rare over here hence me registering here.

Also I have no idea how Electrocoin were going to get over the 110V thing; other than literally bolting 2 together and wiring them in series
    I mean I know you can easily buy transformers but can't see the average arcade wanting them sat on the floor, there isn't enough room inside.
    Anyway, there we go. I have a bit of a hopper problem with mine right now, so will post about that elsewhere.

Bye for now!

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to datadiffusion