Thread: Help with early 50’s Nishijin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Help with early 50’s Nishijin

I picked up this machine from Craigslist for $25. For the most part it works. My main question is does anyone have a picture of the missing “window” I have maked in the picture? I need to make a new one and would like it to look as original as possible. Also in the same picture what goes in the other place I have marked?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following user says "Thanks" to ace2000

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Help with early 50’s Nishijin

Here is the front.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ace2000

Thanks
    Thanks Received

8E74C11C-C0EF-46FD-8783-4B31DCF93FE3.jpeg
    The corner is going to look like this, so basically a piece of plastic with the riveted (but moveable) little arm that hooks under the piece you have there, and yours looks a little bent out of shape.
    Jewelry Metalworking, Chainmaille, Pachinko
    Pliers make me happy

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Rumpled

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not familiar with the missing piece...but none of my '50s are a Nishijin. I have a couple Ginzas and a Comicgo. I do believe you are missing another window ontheleft side. Without it, balls will spill out. I'll take some pics later.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you so much. It looks like mine is opposite from yours. That piece on the bottom of mine is the hook that’s why it looks bent.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    Not familiar with the missing piece...but none of my '50s are a Nishijin. I have a couple Ginzas and a Comicgo. I do believe you are missing another window ontheleft side. Without it, balls will spill out. I'll take some pics later.
    Thanks. There is also the spring that’s not connected to anything which is making me scratch my head.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Stupid cell phone double post! Looking at it at home on a larger screen that I can zoom in on...I cant tell what the spring is for. Surley it is not to hold vthe hook shut for the U turn. there simply is no need. It must have something to do with the "mystery lever".

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I couldn't get anything to type after the pic, so I just posted.
    the pressure plates are to stop jackpots if reward hopper balls are too low. Although in close proximity to the mystery lever...I can't imagine a connection. Does the lever rotate? If so, take a couple of pics of it in dsifferent positions, and from different angles.
    As far as the clear plastic U turn cover...1: it is probably necessary. looks like balls will fall out if not repaired. 2: It can probably be made out of a Listerine bottle. The plastic is about the right thickness, and easy to work with. I made this part out of a Listerine bottle. I used a heat gun to soften it (very carefully on lowest heat), so the bends would set, You could probably use a hair dryer on highest setting to warm the plastic then weight it between 2 books to take out the curve of the bottle. Just hold it up to the U turn and trace the shape with a Sharpie, and add a square tab at the bottom for the hook.
    I previously stated that I thought you were missing another plastic piece. In the puc of the Ginza machine above...If the jackpoy is the center of a clock, the dirty part at the 11 o'clock position. On Comicgo and Ginza, this plastic window kept balls from bouncing out as they landed on the tilting track that they reversed direction on.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I couldn't get anything to type after the pic, so I just posted.
    the pressure plates are to stop jackpots if reward hopper balls are too low. Although in close proximity to the mystery lever...I can't imagine a connection. Does the lever rotate? If so, take a couple of pics of it in dsifferent positions, and from different angles.
    As far as the clear plastic U turn cover...1: it is probably necessary. looks like balls will fall out if not repaired. 2: It can probably be made out of a Listerine bottle. The plastic is about the right thickness, and easy to work with. I made this part out of a Listerine bottle. I used a heat gun to soften it (very carefully on lowest heat), so the bends would set, You could probably use a hair dryer on highest setting to warm the plastic then weight it between 2 books to take out the curve of the bottle. Just hold it up to the U turn and trace the shape with a Sharpie, and add a square tab at the bottom for the hook.
    I previously stated that I thought you were missing another plastic piece. In the puc of the Ginza machine above...If the jackpoy is the center of a clock, the dirty part at the 11 o'clock position. On Comicgo and Ginza, this plastic window kept balls from bouncing out as they landed on the tilting track that they reversed direction on.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Really nice looking machine! A steal at $25.00!
    As usual...every '50s machine I have bought or seen...always has a chain on it for wall hanging. No wonder the trays on the back are often damaged!
    Last edited by pachiwall; 10-08-2018 at 07:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

In your pic with your two red arrows...the bracket with two rectangle holes and a spring next to it, that is for a metal tab that is sprung forward into the groove in front. This keeps the glass from being slid up from the front. The metal tab has a notch in it so that when retracted and moved sideways into the notch, it would stay back and you could use both hands to remove the glass.
    I'll see if I can find a pic.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

After searching threads...it was simply easier to take a few pics. First with the machine mounted in the frame: 2050-12-31 23.59.59-447.jpg Normal position...glass locked. 2050-12-31 23.59.59-448.jpg Open position...glass unlocked.
    Then I figured it was easier to see with the machine slightly removed from the frame.
    2050-12-31 23.59.59-450.jpg Normal 2050-12-31 23.59.59-452.jpg Open

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

IMG_0376 2.jpgIMG_0375 2.jpgthanks for all your help. here are some more pics of the mystery part.

20. The following user says "Thanks" to ace2000

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ace2000 View Post
    the bent bar looks as if it has broken solder on it?? something missing??

(add thoughts )

looking at the first pic in this post i can see there is a tube on that bent bar that was meant to move / swivel..

interesting
    Last edited by Moparformances; 10-08-2018 at 09:09 PM. Reason: added thoughts
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    the bent bar looks as if it has broken solder on it?? something missing??

(add thoughts )

looking at the first pic in this post i can see there is a tube on that bent bar that was meant to move / swivel..

interesting
    that is all true. It’s a tube that had something soldered onto it. And I assume the spring went to it. Also if you look closely there is a shiny spot above it as if the part was rubbing there.

23. The following user says "Thanks" to ace2000

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like the bent bar is soldered and not supposed to move. The swivel part looks like it may interact with the pressure plates...but I wouldn't know why.

25. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the way i see the spring (total guess) would be attached to the other side.. under the 180 turn.. the T bar.. does that move??

it looks like the broken plastic cover is on a hinge and that t bar looking piece is a latch to keep the broken cover closed

reason i'm saying this is the spring is mounted in such a way that having it turn around the the round bar would put a strange bend in the spring..

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    Stupid cell phone double post! Looking at it at home on a larger screen that I can zoom in on...I cant tell what the spring is for. Surley it is not to hold vthe hook shut for the U turn. there simply is no need. It must have something to do with the "mystery lever".
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead