Thread: Newbie Question: Transformer Necessity

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Newbie Question: Transformer Necessity

OK, so I bit the bullet and ordered a machine on FromJapan, it's Samurai Champloo Reincarnation by Newgin. A fairly new machine. I know it has a volume control and things like that, but it says it is wired for home power. Which I know is only 100v. Do I need to get a step down transformer for it? I've searched the forum and haven't seen this question asked specifically yet. I will be running it on a TripLite heavy duty surge protector. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Oh and if this doesn't go here, please move it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Newbie Question: Transformer Necessity

Gee, I think you'll have to wait until you get the machine. I would think there will be directions for power hook-up. In any case if you do need a transformer go to any heating supply house and they'll have one. No need to order on line and price will most likely be better.

3. The following user says "Thanks" to tincan39

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by tincan39 View Post
    Gee, I think you'll have to wait until you get the machine. I would think there will be directions for power hook-up. In any case if you do need a transformer go to any heating supply house and they'll have one. No need to order on line and price will most likely be better.
    I’ve heard different things about this, some say that all the modern machines have different power supplies that can regulate the changes in voltage or something so the difference of 100v vs 110v in the US doesn’t make a difference. Then the other side says if you plug it in to a US outlet it will fry the machine.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Although the point in the UK is irrelevant as we have 240vac mains here's my take on it.

Unlike pachinkos that are all 24vac. Pachislos are either 24 or 100 vac. I have one of each. But they all come with the same 2 pin plug that matches the US outlet socket. The 100vac will probably work with no need for a transformer. The 24vac fry instantly. If it was me, I would still install a 110-100 transformer to be on the safe side.

Then if seller adds a transformer to your machine it will be dropping 100v to 24v so theory is plug it into 110v and you get 26.4v.

All of this I skip anyway. Due to the fact your shipping a large heavy box around the world. If anything is going to break off in transit and cause damage. It's going to be the heavy lump of iron wrapped in copper. And when transformers come loose in transit. They cause a lot of damage.

So I would say. Ship without transformer.

If you need one. Just buy in the US
    Last edited by Drunkenclam; 10-02-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    Ian #UKPachinko

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam