Thread: Nishijin payout problem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Nishijin payout problem

The payoff lever is not working properly.
    1. The arm that catches the ball does not rise all the way back.
    2. The arm works fine when manually pushing it down - it pops right back up.
    3. Having a ball on the lever arm is when it does not return to the top.
    4. I've put rust actuater on the joints of the lever.
    5. I've tried pulling the clip where the balls fall out of the jackpot ball channel and it doesn't help because the arm does not go down all the way.
    6. I realize the general answer is that there's dirt in the joints but it moves very freely just not when in play.
    It's a standard Nishijin (model C?)
    I probably haven't described it well enough but could use help.20181001_165306[1].jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Nishijin payout problem

That's a model B. Check the jackpot mechanism itself. I had one that was sticky and acted more or less as you are describing.

Keep in mind that the levers are activated by a single 11mm steel ball. Difficult to exactly replicate this force by hand. Watch various parts of the linkage as you manually drop a ball in a jackpot area and look for issues.

3. The following user says "Thanks" to machgo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yeah, I understand and I have observed for hours while dropping a ball in. Occasionally it works on the first try and then stops. The arm does not go all the way down as if the ball should be heavier but having two balls doesn't make it work any better. It doesn't go back up all the way either. The arm and the entire lever act sluggish for no apparent reason. It seems like there's a spring somewhere that's not working but there's no spring in this mechanism. I'm going to use some powdered graphite on the joints of the linkage but that's my last idea for repair. Please if anyone's had this problem, let me know how you solved it. THANK YOU!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If the weight of a single ball, 5 grams, is not enough to lower the spoon to the bottom. There must be further linkage to the payout mech impeding the movement. The pivot points are brass and should be clean and dry. No lubrication please.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When I had a similar issue, the problem was further up, so clean and dry the area under the cover, check the curve as often things will lurk there (I had a screw) and it can make the balls not make the white double s parts go back correctly which lead to the issues below. Always go up in the line of mechanics when you can’t solve your issue (learned hard way).

A little fine grit sand paper is your friend when it comes to the joints. It should just be a quick swipe or two. Any oil will collect more dirt, and create more issues. These are made to work with no lubricant.
    Jewelry Metalworking, Chainmaille, Pachinko
    Pliers make me happy

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Rumpled

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you for the suggestions! I have in fact cleaned and examined the entire track including curve and double s parts. I've pulled all manner of things out of those curves as you have. I examined the positioning of the s parts and their action during play, the balls move quite smoothly throughout the track. I've followed the problem from the payoff arm all the way to the center where the payoff balls are loaded. Every single joint and linkage seems to work on its own but yes, I can't simulate the weight of the balls. I will try the sandpaper and I'm going in deeper tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It is difficult to describe! I'm assuming you have enough pachinko balls in the top reward tray.

The lever arm being described as the spoon is on an axle on the lower right side of the back of the machine. Try removing the four screws and turning that axle 180 degrees.

Another thing to try, and this one happens more often, is the spoon is getting hung up on the wood. It's thin metal and the trick is to bend it one way or the other until it operates freely.

Another thing I've seen is the machine isn't tilted back and the spoon gets hung up. Should be tiled back about 1-1/8" at the top.

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

how is the tilt accomplished when feet are put on the machine? Even the metal legs don't seem to have a tilt to them. Originally, someone had removed the bottom piece that feeds into the front overflow tray. The spoon was hanging up on that piece which was broken. I repaired it and got it positioned correctly. The spoon did not hit the piece anymore but is still sluggish, doesn't rise or lower appropriately.
    I'll try the tilting and removing that part which I had already considered. Thanks for your help - so far the problem remains. ~Leah

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The tilt is only 3 degrees. So a junk mail envelope can imitate it until you have the feet on. It is only a slight tilt.

Did you check the white flaps attached to the hanging s parts? Something may be stuck in there?
    Jewelry Metalworking, Chainmaille, Pachinko
    Pliers make me happy

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Rumpled

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's working! I incorporated everything suggested. The final step - disconnecting the spoon and turning the axle upside down and bending the arm straight - it was quite bent. Thank you one and all! best ~Leah

16. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to leah

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by leah View Post
    It's working! I incorporated everything suggested. The final step - disconnecting the spoon and turning the axle upside down and bending the arm straight - it was quite bent. Thank you one and all! best ~Leah
    its always the last thing ya fix..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances