Thread: What Really Grinds My Gears - Craigslist/FB Marketplace Edition

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default What Really Grinds My Gears - Craigslist/FB Marketplace Edition

I know most of you have been there at least once. I just had an experience over the weekend, which I guess pushed me over the edge enough to make me want to vent to strangers on a semi-public forum.

Ahem, anyway, I put up a somewhat considerable LEGO (Another very expensive hobby) collection on Facebook Marketplace for sale. I was/am a collector, I keep all my boxes, all my manuals, have everything arranged, organized etc. Anyway, get a surprising amount of responses to it, of course noone read the ad. I specifically said that I was selling everything as one lot, no specific price in mind, make offer. Just trying to make room in our house. Get 5 people asking me to split it up, and how much is this, how much is that. Just respond with make offer. People get mad. Finally one guy who semi-understands makes an offer, ridiculously low-ball as it was, it was an offer. Politely explained to him that it didn't seem fair to me and moved on. He persists, starts insulting what I have saying he's a reseller and he would lose money if he paid any more than what he offered me. That's my problem how? Just tell him I'm not interested in dealing with him anymore. So later on, a lady makes me a reasonable offer on Facebook, of course this is all sight unseen, save for the few pictures I had, which irks me anyway, I would never dare offer someone a blind offer without looking at something first. So anyway, I agree to let her come check it out, she says I'm coming over there today. So I start taking everything out, all the boxes, books, etc. She says, "I'm on the way, be there soon". Hour or so later, no show. She says, "I'm so sorry, I couldn't get our baby to bed, can I please come tomorrow?". Foolishly agree, so anyway guess who shows up at my house the following day? The lowballer from the day before. "Hey, I'm X's husband". Tell him to leave. Then he hands me a wad of cash and says here's what you two agreed on, please just let me get everything and go. Anyway, I count the cash, it's about $150 short. Feel the cold hand of rage grip me and ask him to leave, give him the money back and everything. Dude makes some idiotic joke about not knowing how to count, gives me the rest of the money back, I load his truck and make him go, just because at that point I was so pissed off I just wanted it gone, him gone, and my blood pressure down.

So anyway Pachitalk, to break it down.

- Resellers who say they are going to resell something and act like it's such a hassle for them to purchase something from you, because what you have pales in comparison to what they have, irk me.

- Flaky people, irk me.

- Greasy people who tell corny jokes, irk me.

- Don't offer something sight unseen, don't make some crazy lowball offer. If someone is asking $100 for something and you offer them $10, that makes you the a**hole, not them for saying no.

- Also, is being a complete weirdo the prerequisite for all the people who you deal with on Craigslist/FB Marketplace?

Anyway, till next time. Vent your anger below. Call me a sadist but I like getting angry for other people.

pierre-bernard-recliner-of-rage.jpg
    Last edited by SixGunSamurai91; 09-25-2018 at 10:49 PM.

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to SixGunSamurai91

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: What Really Grinds My Gears - Craigslist/FB Marketplace Edition

I totally get where you are coming from on this topic SixGun! This is what holds me back from going so public with selling any of my goods.

Even prior to the days of the internet my wife and I were well known for our annual yard sales near Detroit. But every hour or so we would be honored by the presence of someone trying to talk us down from our already ridiculously low prices. We weren't out to make a killing, just to re-purpose something that others wanted. We even found some buyers reselling our goods for a much higher price.

btw: what about non-greasy people who tell corny jokes?
    Last edited by Peteybob; 09-26-2018 at 05:42 PM.

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Some people like to bargain. I figure, depending on what your selling, you set the price a bit higher than you want first, then negotiate down to what you really wanted for it. A friend of mine wanted 3K for a trailer. I said tell people you want 3.5 or 4K, then when they say how about 3k, you got what you wanted and the people think they got a deal!

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Peteybob View Post
    I totally get where you are coming from on this topic SixGun! This is what holds me back from going so public with selling any of my goods.

Even prior to the days of the internet my wife and I were well known for our annual yard sales near Detroit. But every hour or so we would be honored by the presence of someone trying to talk us down from our already ridiculously low prices. We weren't out to make a killing, just to re-purpose something that others wanted. We even found some buyers reselling our goods for a much higher price.

btw: what about non-greasy people who tell corny jokes?
    I know exactly what you're saying, I think that goes back to the people who make offers sight unseen. It's like their nature to see someone asking a reasonable price for something and cutting it in half. Like you're selling a Gold brick that has a set value and you're asking half of that for it, and they just come in with even less than that. Not to mention scammers, I didn't even touch on that one. Plus, this is so hard to put in to words, but those hardcore buy and sell people all seem to have that same attitude. With the whole, "Your stuff is junk, my stuff is gold". Just watch Storage Wars, and you'll see what I mean enough. I understand businesses can't operate on paying retail for everything, but the peer to peer selling with people who act like they're Donald Trump just kill me.

I couldn't word the part about the corny joke statement right. It was just that guy, he was so weird lol. He kept saying these stupid jokes like, "The wife is gonna LOVE me for this", and just was hysterically laughing at his own joke. Ugh.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by compirate View Post
    Some people like to bargain. I figure, depending on what your selling, you set the price a bit higher than you want first, then negotiate down to what you really wanted for it. A friend of mine wanted 3K for a trailer. I said tell people you want 3.5 or 4K, then when they say how about 3k, you got what you wanted and the people think they got a deal!
    Exactly, which I learned that lesson when I sold my car on Craigslist, an '03 Impala. Did all the work myself to it but kept all the receipts for the parts and things like that. Put it on there for sale and only was asking $1300, which was below blue book and all that. I have no idea how many people just sent 500. That's it. Not even a dollar sign, just a number. Asked people to come drive it before making offers and they didn't even want to do that. Plus you get all the sad sacks, who want to tell a story about how they don't have any money right now, yeah right, I'm not stupid. The first guy that came to drive it said all that to me after he offered me like $800 for it, and he was driving a Ram 3500 truck, which costs more than the house we live in lol.