Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1970 nishijin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 1970 nishijin

Hey all- I'm brand new to pachinko and long story short, I'm trying to get a machine working to give to my dad- it used to belong to a guy he was on the police force with for 30 plus years. That said, the machine is more sentimental than it's worth in value. I've tried to research it, and the best I can tell it's a 1970 Nishijin. One photo I had that looks exactly like it said it was an M-5, but that's the only reference I found to such a model.

I know it's going to need a new play tray. But I'm finding it nearly impossible to find one on ebay, craigslist, etc. Tldr, My question is: should any play trays made for a 1970 nishijin be interchangeable?

TIA.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1970 nishijin

replyed to your first post
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here are some photos from how I found it and one from after I started working on cleaning it up. 20180910_065638-756x1008.jpghow it was found.jpgback.jpg

5. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Sadporcupines

Thanks
    Thanks Received

reach out to Brother Max i'm sure he has the tray you need..

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/memb...10966-mxfaiman

he has a web site as well listed as Pachinkoboy..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Screenshot_20180917-131820_Drive.jpg

So I've taken a plunge on this machine and have it torn apart (and only broke 2 win pockets in the process). The playfield graphics were terribly faded and degraded but I couldn't find a supplier that had this particular background in stock. I was able to get a decent sense of the colors from where they were obscured by the playfield components and hadn't faded as badly. Then I saw where Rival had redone one of these and it seemed to match up well (that's what I get for not looking here first). I had to trace over a few different pieces of the roses on the background, but once I had a complete sketch and scaled, I was able to get it into a pdf. Its sent off to the print shop and I'll see if I have it in a format they can use to print a new vinyl background from.

If anyone needs a copy of the PDF, DM me and I'll be happy to share it. I didnt realize how difficult sourcing this stuff could be.

I'm still searching for the front overflow tray for this thing. I DM'd Max, but if anyone has one handy I can borrow (even if its cracked and can just be glued for now) let me know. My next step is to reverse engineer the tray and have a new one printed if I cant find one to buy. I'd be happy to pay shipping to me and back to you, as well as to provide the CAD design for letting me borrow it.

Until then, the search continues...

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Sadporcupines

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I doubt that just any tray would fit, but you MAY be able to replace the entire door/tray assembly...they seem to be a standard size.

The chrome door removes by squeezing the spring loaded hinge pin.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You gotta have the front overflow tray. First of all, front overflow machines are cool, eliminating the front overflow would be a crime. Plus, if another Nishijin door was attached, If the overflow lever was operated, balls would flow behind the door and jam things up. The area where balls are delivered to the shooter would probably line up...so it could possibly be done, until a proper tray could be found. Fortunately it is a fairly common machine...as far as front overflows go. Probably a parts machine out there somewhere.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey, Just pulled my old Pachinko machine out of the closet to put on Craigs List, but after researching have decided to try to clean it up a bit first. May be my winter project. I also have a (I think) 1970 Nishijin so will be following this thread. I will attempt to post pics, but am not too familiar with forums and posting.20180925_154102.jpg20180925_154109.jpg
    Think everything is in working condition except maybe the lights? was given to me years ago by my father-in-law-in-law. This machine also lived in Texas before it moved to Vermont !!
    Last edited by LupaMcDog; 09-25-2018 at 04:56 PM.

13. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to LupaMcDog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good looking machine. That indeed is a '70, and good luck getting a parts machine if you need one. I nearly scored one in California, but the seller wouldn't ship and the shipper I was looking to contract with pulled out right before I had everything finalized. Looks like your front tray is in good shape though, so you've got most of the battle won.

I should get the custom background I had printed tomorrow and then I'll see how well it starts going back together. You have to strip everything off to get the artwork placed, so get ready to know the machine through and through if youre going that route.

I came into this project blind to the world of pachinko but have quite a bit of woodworking and refinishing experience, so hopefully it turns out well enough. I've discovered the huge wealth of knowledge here on the site and its worth mulling through random posts.

Word to the wise: when you disassemble it, put the glass in a safe place. That's as much as I have to say about the matter.

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Sadporcupines

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by LupaMcDog View Post
    Hey, Just pulled my old Pachinko machine out of the closet to put on Craigs List, but after researching have decided to try to clean it up a bit first. May be my winter project. I also have a (I think) 1970 Nishijin so will be following this thread. I will attempt to post pics, but am not too familiar with forums and posting.20180925_154102.jpg20180925_154109.jpg
    Think everything is in working condition except maybe the lights? was given to me years ago by my father-in-law-in-law. This machine also lived in Texas before it moved to Vermont !!
    ya might start a new thread of your own.. nice machine.. a few pics of the back side please

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

resized front1.jpgresize 2.jpgresize 3.jpg

Finally got my background from the print shop. Now I'm replacing the nails in between knocking holes in my walls to fix electrical. If I keep this up much longer in the living room, I'm betting I'll be kicked to the garage!

18. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Sadporcupines

Thanks
    Thanks Received

just wondering if you reuse the long staples that hold the circular metal track to the playing field,mine look really rusted.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I cut new pieces of wire out of 20g galvanized wire. Roughly 3 inches long. Poked them through, spun them around and stapled them flat. I tired to work opposite sides, and get the ends down first, and it was a challenge (at least for me as I have weakness issues) to get it all pulled tight, but I got it nice and tight, and hammered the staples down as well.
    Jewelry Metalworking, Chainmaille, Pachinko
    Pliers make me happy

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Rumpled

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Sadporcupines View Post
    If I keep this up much longer in the living room, I'm betting I'll be kicked to the garage!
    Is the garage larger, with heat and A/C?

23. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

+1

I got the largest diameter wire I could find at lowes in the picture hanging supplies. I snapped a couple getting a little overzealous with the tightening, but overall it was a fairly quick and easy job.

25. The following user says "Thanks" to Sadporcupines

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It is cheap to find it in floral supplies at the craft store. They have the spools of galvanized wire for only a few bucks.
    Pliers make me happy

27. The following user says "Thanks" to Rumpled

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I don't have the exact size figured out yet, but I'm finding cotter pins work well to replace those hold downs.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpled View Post
    I cut new pieces of wire out of 20g galvanized wire. Roughly 3 inches long. Poked them through, spun them around and stapled them flat. I tired to work opposite sides, and get the ends down first, and it was a challenge (at least for me as I have weakness issues) to get it all pulled tight, but I got it nice and tight, and hammered the staples down as well.
    Thanks so much for the info

30. The following user says "Thanks" to pachinkohead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachinkohead View Post
    Thanks so much for the info
    I have to give credit to the book I read and used a lot. It is the pachinko repair book on Amazon, written by a member here. Highly recommend. Read up on the sticky posts as well, as those helped me.
    Pliers make me happy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I wonder how much of the amazon book would apply to a 1970 overflow, I imagine later 70s machines are probably very similar. I happen to have two overflows so i can always look at one or the other if i decide to restore one and run into a problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast