Thread: Worthy of restore?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Worthy of restore?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and am looking for suggestions, guidance, advice.

I have 2 old pachinko machines that I have been told are a 1975 Nishijin model 4200 AKA model-B Pachinko machine known as "Dolphin's" and a 1972 Nishijin model 1200 AKA model-A pachinko machine Known as "ABC Lanes". https://photos.app.goo.gl/gzr3eBieBVYobdAd9

These machines used to be functional and I played them both as a much younger person, we had them set-up in my parents house for about a year or so in the early 1980s. After that, for reasons I don't recall, the machines ended up in my parents basement. Once I moved out I asked for the machines a couple of times, I was finally able to get them about 6 months ago and would now like to get them set-up to use and display in my home for my kids to enjoy (and me as well).

I have requested quotes from a few restoration places but shipping these machines, plus the cost of the restoration, is a little steep so I am trying to decide whether it makes more sense to do it myself or try and find machines all ready restored.

I do not have a dedicated workspace in my garage nor do I have that many tools beyond the bare basic necessities for occasional home repair. Think screwdrivers, a power drill, and a hammer. What sort of expertise or skill is required to repair these machines? Are the parts easy to locate should I discover that parts need to be replaced?

I remember that these use to light and and were powered by a big rectangular or square battery (not car battery big but like much bigger than a c or d battery).

If this post is misplaced or inappropriate for these forums I apologize.

2. The following user says "Thanks" to bluecat

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Worthy of restore?

Hello and welcome to PachiTalk

Just popping the photos in here for the members to see (for those unable to view outside links)

20180831_185331(2).jpg20180831_185348.jpg20180831_185449.jpg20180831_185501.jpg

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

4. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Do it yourself!
    You don’t have to do a replace the fields, they look like they are in decent condition. There are videos here and on YouTube (by people here) that show how to the models work. You have a Nishijin model a and a Nishijin model b. They should do well with a clean up and new shiny balls. Check out some of the pinned items above.

Remove all rust and debris and then if you like, finish or add to the case, or just leave as is. For the one for my brother, I took off the entire back. Cleaned it. Repainted the parts on front that were chipped. I used beeswax on the case. Polished the nails on the field in place. Replaced a few screws. It runs perfect and looks good. I have other machines that I am totally taking apart and replacing the field, which means all the nails, screws and all have to be replaced. It is taking quite a while, but it will look newer when done.

So you have options. Welcome!
    Jewelry Metalworking, Chainmaille, Pachinko
    Pliers make me happy

6. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Rumpled

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

your Model "B" machine is the better machine and will need less work to get working..

the Model "A" machine is missing a few items.. the jackpot bulb & socket will need to be located and installed (not required for play) but the lower track cover is required.. you can try and locate parts for that or just fabricate a cover that works.. cant see all the mechanical parts of the macine due to the angle of the pic..

Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If I post some additional photos of the model b could you give me some suggestions on the best places to begin?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The socket and bulbs are available. I got the sockets off amazon or eBay. Just check how many you need, and see which one is the best deal. Same with bulbs. I got led. I just had to hunt for the “top hat” to hold the bulb in the jackpot and could not find it, but I found an soft orange plumbing part for less than a buck that works well and can’t be seen. I kept the package. I will hunt around for it if you are interested.
    Pliers make me happy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The model B looks like it's all there. It even has covers which typically go missing.

The Dolphin machine is one of my favorites. Can't understand why the playfield has butterflies though...you'd think that they would put a marine theme cell on there.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So the dvd i bought said to take everything off the back side so I can clean it. I have removed everything however the DVD also said to cut the wiring, I did not do that.

Should I cut the wiring? If I do how will I get the lights to work again in the future? has anyone used a wiring/lighting harnesses so that the machine will work from a plug as opposed to a battery?

What's the best cleaning product for all the plastic that came off the back?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
    If I post some additional photos of the model b could you give me some suggestions on the best places to begin?
    start at the top and clean.. i like simple glass cleaner.. spray it in a rag and wipe.. try and avoid spaying on the machine.. so places are ok to get wet.. but as a whole i always use a wet damp rag..

clean all the ball pathways and then load it with balls and see what works and what don't..

Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The machine has been disassembled and cleaned.

I can't figure out how to get the victory flag to stay up so that I can shoot balls with the plunger.

Also, when I load balls into the top bucket they go through the machine and fall out.

Any suggestions on what I need to fix ?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

you need to reset the ball dump.. push the tab to the right and engage the latch / lock..

open the front door then open the shooter tray ans make sure everything looks right there.. make sure the tab that opperates the victory flag is under the wire that opperates the flag.. them fill the back top hopper with balls..

hope that makes sense

of course more pictures would help

17. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

F80F2365-0F3B-481F-9D27-B042031F3A98.jpegThis is the area where you need to push the lever to stop the balls from dumping. Looking to see of I have a picture of the flag handy...
    Pliers make me happy

19. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Rumpled

Thanks
    Thanks Received

C6444E23-BE2E-430F-8E35-53A4156A9273.jpegIt is hard to see, but when you open the door to the upper feed area, there is a bar I marked in green. On the other side there is another wire, this wire has to be under the other wire to work correctly. Sometimes it gets bent. Make sure when you push the button down when you close the feed door.
    Pliers make me happy

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Rumpled

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpled View Post
    C6444E23-BE2E-430F-8E35-53A4156A9273.jpegMake sure when you push the button down when you close the feed door.
    factory setting would mean you dont need to push anything down when you shut the door.. but getting it to work is most important..

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    factory setting would mean you dont need to push anything down when you shut the door.. but getting it to work is most important..
    Oh... I meant the button under the glass aka the release button for the feeder tray as all the videos said to do that so the door would not warp... I did not mean to push down on the thing pictured. Sorry it was not clear.
    Pliers make me happy

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Rumpled

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpled View Post
    Oh... I meant the button under the glass aka the release button for the feeder tray as all the videos said to do that so the door would not warp... I did not mean to push down on the thing pictured. Sorry it was not clear.
    ohhh yes, good advice I do the same thing