Thread: "Burn baby burn"...or Don't *face palm*

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thumbs down "Burn baby burn"...or Don't *face palm*

Unlike the popular disco hit single, I would rather not have anything burning...
    I will preface this post by saying TWO of my machines have had mods put on them, so I am inclined to think it is one of those two that is the culprit.

So like many a pachi-collectors, I often leave my machines on in the house when I am not playing. To my horror I walked into my "den" tonight and was met with the unpleasant aroma of what can only be described as a burning plastic smell. No smoke, it wasn't an odor that made it unbreathable or thick to where I thought there was an active fire, but noticeable.

Now my Popeye Pachislot tends to get a little internally warm (even when the coin mod mech is turned off) and its coin intake was a little warm to the touch (coin slot). I noticed this after shutting it off. My other modded machine is pachinko "non-clicking" Star Wars: BODV. But that is running fine, no heat and hard to believe it is the issue. Nothing inside of Popeye was unusually hot and BODV was not warm in back or front other than the coin slot a little warm. The LCD on popeye does get hot when I leave it on and it sits next to the coin slot Needless to say I turned everything off and it dissipated.

Anyone experience this before? I dont have much room between the back of my machines (chords) and the wall...should I increase ventilation?
    What should I be looking for?
    How best to troubleshoot with little to no tech knowledge.

Any advice or help would be appreciated. The only think I can think to do is turn them on one by one and keep an eye (or nose as it were ) on it to see who is making the smell.

But then what? Should I check for heat (like I did)?
    Would I see black or burnt wiring?

Could it just be a machine that got too internally hot and it smelled or does it definitely mean a wire burning somewhere?
    Last edited by Calypso; 08-27-2018 at 10:06 PM.
    Calypso

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: "Burn baby burn"...or Don't *face palm*

check to see if there are any small fans built inside of the machine and make sure they are working properly. some machines have them but some do not. also check for dirt on the circuits and on the fans and make sure to keep them clean. also i leave a space between the wall and my pachislos. and i also make sure that nothing is sitting on top of the vents if there are vents on the top of the machine. i also keep my pachislos in my house and my house temperature is always regulated.

3. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to JesseLee

Sandwich Shooter stampeed valkyrie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Another suggestion is to get in there with a can of compressed air and/or a data vac. Give the innards a good dusting.. Dust acts as an insulator and could be part of your problem.

Another point worth bringing up.. I don't leave my machines powered up when unattended. I also have all of my machines connected to a UPS. These are computers.. and a UPS provides clean power at all times... so no Surges, but also no sags or other disruptions.
    Last edited by stampeed valkyrie; 08-28-2018 at 05:42 PM.

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to stampeed valkyrie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

UPS meaning surge protector?

They are in a power strip w/surge protection. Dust is an interesting thought. Would that create a burning plastic smell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Calypso

Sandwich Shooter stampeed valkyrie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
    UPS meaning surge protector?

They are in a power strip w/surge protection. Dust is an interesting thought. Would that create a burning plastic smell?

A surge suppressor solves 1 part of the problem.. it will offer protection against power surges, but no protection against sags, dirty power or brownouts.
    The flip side of the coin is unclean power that can also damage computer components that are sensitive to voltage or frequency variation.
    Computers are very sensitive to these disruptions and that is one of the main functions of a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). UPS offer surge protection and are integrated with a Battery on some outlets that feed the devices connected, the battery then recharges from the AC current coming into it. The advantage of this is the power is always stable.. the battery filters out frequency variations and voltage spikes, surges and other problems.

Yep they cost abit more then a regular surge protector.. usually about $100 +/-

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have been giving my game room a remodel (pictures coming soon). 5 days ago I was able to run power to my pachislos. I do not leave them on when I am not in the game room and they they are on surge protectors. In fact I have also added a wemo power switch connected to an Amazon echo so I can just give a voice command to turn them on and off. Last Saturday I had some friends over and a couple of times during the evening we noticed some very slight light flickering. At a couple of points I also felt like I detected a slight burning smell. I shut down the machines to play it safe. Turns out 2 days later, my main breaker to the electrical panel of my house was actually going bad. The next day I had to replace the entire electrical panel in my house. My only real point to this long story is that, depending where your machines are in relation to your electrical panel, it may be good idea to check there as well. When I detected the burning smell, I really could not determine where it was coming from.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yikes! How many were you running at the same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Card Shark View Post
    I have been giving my game room a remodel (pictures coming soon). 5 days ago I was able to run power to my pachislos. I do not leave them on when I am not in the game room and they they are on surge protectors. In fact I have also added a wemo power switch connected to an Amazon echo so I can just give a voice command to turn them on and off. Last Saturday I had some friends over and a couple of times during the evening we noticed some very slight light flickering. At a couple of points I also felt like I detected a slight burning smell. I shut down the machines to play it safe. Turns out 2 days later, my main breaker to the electrical panel of my house was actually going bad. The next day I had to replace the entire electrical panel in my house. My only real point to this long story is that, depending where your machines are in relation to your electrical panel, it may be good idea to check there as well. When I detected the burning smell, I really could not determine where it was coming from.
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Actually only running 2 machines at that time and honestly we were busy throwing darts. It turns out the issue was probably going on for awhile and I am thankful I found out before it caused any damage to the house. The Pachislos were not related at all. Just coincidental that I had just hooked them up and they were the first thing I suspected when I smelled the burning smell. Currently I only have 2 pachislos. Spin Luck and a Beast Sapp. I would have really been heart broken if anything had happened to the Spin Luck especially. I am happy to report they are alive and working well. Hoping to have the Pachinkos up and running again soon.

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I see this happen at work, and know of a TV station that had a building fire caused by a load panel issue. Load panels usually go toast for a few reasons- undersized wiring, unsecured breakers, or loose connections on the breaker outputs. Hope the new panel serves you well and good thing your house is ok.
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

check for a dark spot on the circuit boards. also check the capacitors to see if one of them popped.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

House is good now. Turns out it was a known issue with the panel that was installed originally in my house. Cost more than I would have liked but upgraded the entire panel and everything appears to be good now.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey Cardshark. Any advice? I will try air can dusting...but it smelt like plastic burning pretty clearly. Hopefully I can get it figured out or it won’t continue...

Calypso