Thread: First Pachinko Machine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default First Pachinko Machine

Picked up my first machine today after stumbling on one in my hometown via the Facebook marketplace. I've identified it as a Nishijin B model but that's about all I know about it. Anyone know what it was called or other ID/model info?

It's complete as far as I can tell except for the lock, which I know is typical. I don't have nearly enough balls to really play it but testing seems to suggest it is mostly working. Jackpots pay out, lights work generally but one of the jackpot bulbs is out, shooter works fine, etc. I have one tulip that does not close when hit while it's open. Anyone have any good tips or docs on fixing those things?

I forgot to grab a rear side photo. I'll do that tomorrow and post it. Here's the front side:

IMG_2520.JPG

Things I know that need doing include a general cleanup (it's filthy), new grommets for the bulb sockets, more balls!, repair the one bad tulip, test all the other jackpots, test overflow handling and get new plexiglass. I may look into converting it to LED and changing over to more traditional bayonet-type sockets using 6.5V but no rush on that.

Anyway, glad to have found the Forum. I always find these types of communities very useful and helpful.

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Toyguy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: First Pachinko Machine

Hello and welcome.
    Which tulip stays open? Some center feature tulips are always open and never close.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nice looking machine..

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

On the old machine I have the stuck tulip was caused by a ball jammed inside. Tulips are easy to remove with a small screw driver, and once removed you can then clean out any dust and crud (and balls) inside. When I removed the tulip also found a bunch of other balls jammed inside the chute. Took a while to clear them all out.

Don't know what condition the balls you have are, but if there is any rust on them get rid of them. They just stain the play field and jam up the works. I paid too much for my machine, mainly because it came with a bunch of balls and I used that for justification. Turned out I had to throw out about half of them. Oh well, it still looks nice in the wall and the kids like to play it when they visit.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to ajbibb

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That looks like a nice rust free machine! Can’t wait to see the back.

In the vein of Ajbibb, someone around here is selling a machine that has a nice clean front... but absolutely zero mechanics on the back. He listed it as needed work... and features balls... $100 and won’t budge when it is a $5 parts machine at most. He thinks the balls are a selling point as some are shiny. Uh, no.
    Jewelry Metalworking, Chainmaille, Pachinko
    Pliers make me happy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As promised, here's a shot of the rear of the machine. It's basically rust-free back there except for one paper-clip shaped wire that hangs down vertically along that center channel. That one is a bit rusty and/or oxidized. There's also some surface rust on the door frame parts. I may take my old friend Evaporust to those.

It's the left-most tulip that never closes. Balls flow through so it isn't plugged. I'm just not sure yet how those mechanisms toggle their state or what holds them open or closed. I'm also not too sure what the center is supposed to do on this machine but we'll see.

Went to the hardware store tonight for some grommets for the light bulb holders. I'm thinking about converting the machine over to standard pinball sockets and 6.3V bulbs and running them off a AA package.

IMG_2522.JPG

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Toyguy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If it is just a little bit of rust, a sanding pad can take it off easily. I sanded most of my longer parts and got them nice and shiny (although the clip will fit nicely in most container so easy to use the evapo-rust, also my buddy).

What a nice clean machine... Enjoy!
    Jewelry Metalworking, Chainmaille, Pachinko
    Pliers make me happy

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Rumpled

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguy View Post

It's the left-most tulip that never closes. Balls flow through so it isn't plugged. I'm just not sure yet how those mechanisms toggle their state or what holds them open or closed.
    look down into the tulips you will see a flat metal tab on each side.. the tabs need to be open enough for a ball to pass threw but not so far open/closed to lock the tulip.. compare how they are bent between the working ones and the non working one.. us a small set of Needle nose pliers to adjust.. usually removal is not needed when the tulip is not jammed full of balls..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks everyone! For whatever reason, the tulips have decided to all work now
    Maybe just some grit or something.

I noticed one intermittent issue. Now and then, maybe one out of ten times, the jackpot won't pay. It starts to, the light comes on, but then it gets stuck. I'm going to search out any relevant threads but feedback is also welcome.

I've been cleaning like crazy and happened to notice a playfield stain right where I was polishing nail heads. I got all pissed off thinking I'd screwed it up, but I now see the spot on the very first photo I posted, so now I feel better! Did a good hour tonight with another old standby, Mothers Metal Polish. Cleaning up well where it's not rusty:

Mothers.jpg

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Toyguy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looking good. Intermittent payout is usually due to dirty or sticky pivot points. Remember clean and dry, no lubrication.

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    Looking good. Intermittent payout is usually due to dirty or sticky pivot points. Remember clean and dry, no lubrication.

19. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Another possible cause of the intermittent payout is if you moved the wires behind the payout mechanism, and one of them is rubbing one of the moving parts there. Learned that the hard way

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Also, I haven't seen the purple parts before, are they original?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The color is probably the White Balance on my cell phone camera. Those parts are the standard blue plastic bits. Good idea on the wiring too - I did wire the lights up so I will check that nothing is binding.

Dave