Thread: Reclaimed wood

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Reclaimed wood

After more than 12 years after shutting down my 75 gallon salt water tank...I decided to reclaim the oak from the canopy that I made. Several factors made this decision. Cost to run...and maintanence time. Which is why it hasn't been set up in over a decade. The canopy (which I neglected to take any pics of ), Had some issues. At the time it was set up, I had a Moluccan cockatoo. She was very jealous of how much time I spent on the tank, and she would jump on top of it and bite big chunks of oak as if it were a rice crispies treat!
    I also knew that I wouldn't get my cost in lumber back if I tried to sell it on Craigslist. I think 3 planks of oak were $150
    Since I have no before pics, I'll start with what is left with the side. 2050-12-31 23.59.59-410.jpg The 2 sides 18" and the front 48", are 11.5" wide boards. I bought a nice piece of oak crown molding to go around the entire top. 2050-12-31 23.59.59-406.jpg I used a sharpie to outline the seams. I cut the corner off a 2X4 to make a filler wedge, and glued it to the backside of the crown molding. Now I was able to glue and screw it to the top of the board. Since the pine wedge was visable from the top with the lid open, I used "iron on oak veneer" to cover the top. Since the screw heads were exposed (on the inside...where the salt water is), I also ironed on a strip of veneer there as well. this sealed the heads so they wouldn't rust...especially after about 6 coats of clear!
    I knew I couldn't just throw this thing on the table saw and just start cutting! So I used a sawzall to cut off the sides and 2X4 brace across the back. I lost a few inches of the front board this way. Then standing the front board upside down on the table saw, I carefully cut off the crown molding freehand. I remembered the screws under the veneer when I saw the sparks come off the blade!
    The canopy would slide completely over the top of the aquarium if not supported on the inside. The idea of this was to have it cover up the plastic frame around the top of the tank. So I used a strip of oak fastened to the inside to support it. The board is resting on a wood window shutter to keep from scratching it up on the cement. 2050-12-31 23.59.59-391.jpg The router is resting on the strip of veneer that was ironed on to cover the screws. At the far right, you can see dowl rods that are glued half way through the front board. I didn't want to use metal that close to the water surface, and I did not trust glue alone! However, I made it so long ago, I couldn't remember if I used screws and covered them with a plug. So, I drilled one of them to find out. When it was discovered to be free of metal, I decided to use my router to cut out a notch through the dowel as close to the surface as I can. This takes several passes,of course. And I went too deep in places. 2050-12-31 23.59.59-397.jpg After cutting all the dowels out, grab leftover rail with channel locks and break off! 2050-12-31 23.59.59-400.jpg Except for these 2 pieces. Took more work with the router.2050-12-31 23.59.59-399.jpg The other side broke off much easier. Looks like water got in and loosened the glue. Not sure how, with all that clear on it...but that is what the stain tells me.2050-12-31 23.59.59-402.jpg One of the drywall screws hidden under the veneer. I'll have to sand all that off to get to the other screw heads.
    I still have lots of prep work...but giving up for now. One side of where it is at now. 2050-12-31 23.59.59-404.jpg The other side wont load for some reason. OK, it showed up in the stupid box below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Reclaimed wood

Nice work!
    Camaro?
    Jewelry Metalworking, Chainmaille, Pachinko
    Pliers make me happy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpled View Post
    Nice work!
    Camaro?
    1970 Another project that I haven't touched in years.
    I'm only short 3 things...Time, Space, and Money

5. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice!

When I sold my 120 reef, the gentleman didn't want the stand since he was doing an in wall. My stand now proudly holds Aladdin and Magical Halloween.
    Gotta catch 'em all Pa-chink-o

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Ikaria

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Now the reason I even logged on. Not paying attention, I sawed one of my sides to the length of the top! I had 2 8.5"X53" boards for the sides, and 1 11.5"X45" 3/4" solid oak boards. I haven't even tried to see if salvagable.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I still have the stand...The cockatoo never got that close to the floor to attack it. It will likely become a slot machine stand.

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

After looking at my mistake...I decided I can still make an 8 1/2" cabinet without buying another piece of wood. I just wont have an 11 1/2" base. I'm planning to use it for my PowerFlash, the extra width was expected to stabalize the machine when the extra door panel was open.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ugh sorry about the cut...
    My mom had a bronze 1971 camaro. The fin was the same. Vinyl seats, guaranteed to burn in summer.
    Jewelry Metalworking, Chainmaille, Pachinko
    Pliers make me happy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Since we have no catagory for workbenches...and it is made of "Reclaimed wood", I decided to hijack my own thread!
    Now that I have moved, something has to be done with all these pachinko machines! I chose the medium sized (8'X11') bedroom, and put up my shelves to stack them on.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There are 2 built in cabinets that a previous craftsman made.Along with some cabinets and shelves that I don't want to damage.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I simply have no place to work on them. So I bridged the gap with a 2X4 long enough to rest on each cabinet. Found wall studs and screwed it to the studs with 3" screws. Then framed out the rest of the 11' and sides to studs as well.

19. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    I simply have no place to work on them. So I bridged the gap with a 2X4 long enough to rest on each cabinet. Found wall studs and screwed it to the studs with 3" screws. Then framed out the rest of the 11' and sides to studs as well.
    The 2X4 to the studs is to give me plenty of support without stressing the cabinets below, or putting a single screw into the tops. As I was putting the front 2X4 in place...I noticed that a modern machine almost fits under it.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

21. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm working the learning curve with Tapatalk. That's why I keep quoting myself. I can't figure out how to add to the thread without "reply with quote" I can't send pics with my crappy desk top...and I hate typing on a touchscreen!
    I then decided to turn the front 2X4 sideways. This gives clearance for the machine to slide under...at the expense of strength.
    I had to partially disassemble an unfinished project at the house I moved from. This gave me some stained and unfinished tounge and groove hardwood for the top. As I was cutting the hardwood to fit, I needed to add 2X4 bracing. Mounted them sideways, like the front for machine clearance. Bench is level, floor is not! The machine gets wedged half way back. I had to cut off a thin slice of the "thin" side of the 2X4. Not easy with a 10" table saw! You set the fence as desired and cut as usual. Then flip it over and cut again because the max blade height only cuts halfway. This will let you know just how far out of adjustment your blade REALLY is! Now the machine fits fine.
    Last edited by pachiwall; 10-25-2020 at 07:19 PM.

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Reclaimed wood

This way I can slide the tray out.
    The grooved wood top traps balls in the grooves. The slight slope towards the left makes them want to roll towards the tray end. Not planned...just not perfectly level. To take advantage of this, I'm going to cut a slot with a router near the wall for the balls to fall into the tray.
    Last edited by pachiwall; 10-25-2020 at 07:37 PM.

25. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

27. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss