Thread: Pachinko in decline + new anti-gambling addiction laws in Japan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Pachinko in decline + new anti-gambling addiction laws in Japan

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...n-regulations/

I wonder how that will affect the flow of machines coming to North America for re-sale? Will there be a flood when the new models are mandated? And will the supply start to dwindle after that?

It seems like step by step Japan is trying to modernize it's laws in step with North American standards.
    Wayne ウェイン :rambo:
    ------------------------------------------------
    Hanabi Hyakkei | King Camel | Neo Pharoah Zetz | Sakura Pachinko | Nishijin Super Deluxe | New Sea Story | DecaInka | Bally E2000 | Gottlieb Centigrade37 | UK FRUIT MACHINES WANTED!

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to websherpa

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Pachinko in decline + new anti-gambling addiction laws in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by websherpa View Post
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...n-regulations/

I wonder how that will affect the flow of machines coming to North America for re-sale? Will there be a flood when the new models are mandated? And will the supply start to dwindle after that?

It seems like step by step Japan is trying to modernize it's laws in step with North American standards.
    What flow?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by philewhite View Post
    What flow?
    Haha, too true! More like trickle of new machines by personal importation. Hopefully it improves, but the “good old days” of cheap, sub $350 recent model pachinkos seems to be over for good!😔 There’s still hidden gems however (cutie honey, Julie pinball, arepachis l’ve found), even if 10+ years old located in various collections I’ve found though!😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I don’t think forever, if you’re old enough you know these things go in waves. What the news is saying is that the current stock needs to be dumped to replace with updated programming machines. All deoends on whether importers see an opportunity for whichever states / provinces allow them for personal use.

Ive been out of it for a bit but did notice that many of the sellers are direct import at very high shipping prices.
    Hanabi Hyakkei | King Camel | Neo Pharoah Zetz | Sakura Pachinko | Nishijin Super Deluxe | New Sea Story | DecaInka | Bally E2000 | Gottlieb Centigrade37 | UK FRUIT MACHINES WANTED!

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

It'd be nice if some came here, but I fear most will be recycled!!

Maybe someone could win the lotto and bring a bunch of new stuff here!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Owners like Suzuki worry not only about the cost of replacing machines but that regulars will find the new games too dull.

....But how long has Sea Story been coming out...?
    Your man on the Pachi Frontline.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had forgotten that they now manufacture them with a mind to recycling them in the first place (given the turn around law if that exists, and circumstances like these). That maybe helps explain the dirth of new machines available here now too (I haven't looked in so long).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by websherpa View Post
    I had forgotten that they now manufacture them with a mind to recycling them in the first place (given the turn around law if that exists, and circumstances like these). That maybe helps explain the dirth of new machines available here now too (I haven't looked in so long).
    Again, where is this dirth of new machines available you speak of?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I only see new pachinko / pachislo machines for sale direct from Japan at really high prices. There were waves of machines coming by container to Canada a decade ago (and two to three decades before that) when Japanese manufacturers were dumping them cheap rather than scrapping them (as the law then required that they be changed out every so many years. I think either to keep people from being addicted to single titles (thinking they knew how to beat it) or something of some sort which really was just meant to stimulate the industry behind it.

I could be completely wrong, I was guessing at the effect of more legal changes in Japan. But then someone please point me to a diverse cheap source of newer pachinko / pachislo still available in Canada!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I did a lot of research for my English paper and this came up in one of my citations. New machines cost the parlors $3,500-$4,500 each brand new. With pachinko parlor attendance in a sharp decline over the last two decades, almost half of the 9,000+ parlors will not be buying new machines any time soon. Time will tell, but the smaller parlors may start to close shop, so more machines may come this way regardless of the new anti-addiction laws. Another factor - parlors have 3 years to comply, so that process is going to be a bit slow.
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

12. The following user says "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think things have changed quite a bit since I was last heavily involved.

I seem to recall (and I could be wrong) that at one point there was a Japanese Law intended to help curb addiction that indicated that machine titles needed to be changed out every so many years to help curb familiarity with particular games and that ended up creating an export industry (although the desire to change to newer more exciting titles may have helped spawn the waves of container loads of pachinko/pachislo landing on North American shores as well).

I do know that in more recent years, older machines were being sent to more rural parlours or dumped illegally, and recycling laws were enacted in an effort to force manufacturers to build machines that could be returned and recycled or re-purposed by manufacturers more readily to help support the new environmental laws.

I would imagine that the recycling aspect would have an affect of potentially lowering the cost to operators through leasing, rather than "owning" machines (and that is just a wild guess).

In Japan there is a love / hate relationship with Pachi as it is a huge industry much desired from the manufacturing aspect, but also disdained for the human affect on gambling addiction (which was long denied and thought to be "above" the "better" Japanese). Considered a lowly form of gambling and often a "cash business" that is mob controlled, the government continues to exercise more control and restrictions in an effort to turn what remains of the declining industry into a more legitimate tax resource (much like how governments here in North America had "adopted" lotteries and other forms of gambling as a legitimate source of government income).

In the process of gaining a better perspective I came across this interesting site in English: http://pachinko-shiryo****su.jp/en/e...ity/recycling/

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to websherpa

Winnipeg Pachinko Correspondent dishpan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am reminded of an old conversation;

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...e-Co-incidence
    If you haven't grown up by age 50 ... you don't have to!

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to dishpan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Much like pinball machines, I totally regret thinking I needed to sell my pachi machines from the "heyday" for some quick cash. I miss Neo Pharaoh Zetz (pachislo) and Sea Story (pachinko) and a UK Fruit Machine I acquired.

Glad I managed to hang on to a few because I basically stored and forgot about them when I was too busy.

Same thing happened to me with pinball machines. There was a time when used machines were plentiful and under appreciated (and needing skilled hands for fixing), so easy and cheap to acquire. So in a time of financial need I liquidated a bunch thinking "I can easily replace them in the future". Then the Millennials came along with their cheap mortgages and cornered the market and managed to make it appreciate out of my reach such that I will necessarily die with the few remaining pinball machines that I decided not to part with (which is only about 12). Sigh. lol