Thread: 1982 Sankyo New Fever '82 ニューフィーバー'82 machine questions about the wiring

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 1982 Sankyo New Fever '82 (ニューフィーバー'82) machine questions about the wiring

Hello friends,
    I am new to this forum and first of all I would like to say hello and introduce myself.
    I am from Berlin, Germany and have been very interested in Japan and Japanese technology, especially of the late Showa years, for a long time. I collect Japanese records from the 80's (Akina Nakamori in particular), I service my vintage Seiko and Casio watches myself and now I got myself another dream fulfilled:
    I got myself my first classic modern Pachinko machine.

From what information I could find online (thanks @johntova for your topic on the libraries), it is a 1982 New Fever '82 (ニューフィーバー'82) machine by Sankyo:
    image1.jpegimage6.jpeg
    Apparently it was build right before christmas of 1982 (Showa 57):
    image2.jpeg
    Overall it is in a quite good condition, I cleaned it thoroughly and it is beautiful to look at.

However, I can not test the machine yet. Of course, I first have to get the voltage adjusted, I already have the parts here.
    Unfortunately the 8V plug is missing, so can someone tell me where I can get a replacement plug that will fit or if there is another alternative? Also I would need the pinout-mapping for the plug for rewiring.

But wait, there's more.
    I have three loose cables:
    1&2: I think these should connect to the lamp that will go on when the ball bank is emptying, but I can neither find the lamp, nor the connectors, can someone please tell me where these should go?
    image5.jpeg
    3: A loose white cable with connector shoe, but nothing to connect to at the bottom? Any idea where that should go? Is there a cable missing?
    image4.jpeg

Last but not least, there was a loose part, that I put where commonsense told me to put it, that is, I put the metal pole into the red circular plastic part. I do not know what the parts are called, but I hope you can tell from the picture what I mean and tell me if what I've done was right and if not, what it should look like. It seems to be related to the white drawer of the play tray in the front:
    image3.jpeg

Also, one fuse was blown on arrival, I will replace that one asap. But unless I can figure the wiring issues out, I am not going to modify the power supply.

Thank you very much in advance for your help and your expertise!
    Last edited by Maraduk; 07-31-2018 at 07:46 AM. Reason: grammar

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Maraduk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1982 Sankyo New Fever '82 (ニューフィーバー'82) machine questions about the wiring

lots of questions dont know where to start.. looks like your right on the loos low ball light.. and it look like i can se the bulb in the upper right of that same picture..

your last pic is correct as well

other then that im not sure

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1982 Sankyo New Fever '82 (ニューフィーバー'82) machine questions about the wiring

However, I can not test the machine yet. Of course, I first have to get the voltage adjusted, I already have the parts here.
    Unfortunately the 8V plug is missing, so can someone tell me where I can get a replacement plug that will fit or if there is another alternative? Also I would need the pinout-mapping for the plug for rewiring.

That machine should be 24V AC

But wait, there's more.
    I have three loose cables:
    1&2: I think these should connect to the lamp that will go on when the ball bank is emptying, but I can neither find the lamp, nor the connectors, can someone please tell me where these should go?
    image5.jpeg

I think that is where you connect the 24V AC but please wait for another reply, I'm not sure.

3: A loose white cable with connector shoe, but nothing to connect to at the bottom? Any idea where that should go? Is there a cable missing?
    image4.jpeg

Don't know

Last but not least, there was a loose part, that I put where commonsense told me to put it, that is, I put the metal pole into the red circular plastic part. I do not know what the parts are called, but I hope you can tell from the picture what I mean and tell me if what I've done was right and if not, what it should look like. It seems to be related to the white drawer of the play tray in the front:
    image3.jpeg

That looks correct to me; overflow lock out on lower bottom front tray. Again, not sure.
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

6. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for your replies!

It has a 24V supply that is fine as the plug is present. It also has an 8V supply jack (for the lights only I guess).
    IMG_8892.JPG

Also in the upper right picture (closeup above) is one of two bulbs, they are connected to the 8v jack. I'm a bit stumped about where to solder the loose cables on, as they are clearly the on/off switch. Were they in the 8v plug?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a Sanyo (as opposed to Sankyo), and my power input is 24VAC, and goes to 2 vertical spades...like at the top right of yours, next to the 4 prong square one. The low ball switch is mounted to the green ball track below the ball tray. It has wires already,...so, it is unlikely to go there. I don't know anything about the wire next to the shooter motor. The linkage that you put into the red plastic part looks correct. I think it is the "low ball cut out mechanism". It should go up to the white plastic part in the bottom of the upper ball tray. If you move the rod up and down...you may see a flag drop down into the clear window of the orange tray on front. If you ignore the low ball light, the linkage will drop a flag (some machines don't have the flag, but still have the linkage and ball stop),and a small metal plate that stops the balls from entering the shooter. This is why issues are always addressed with "make sure you have enough balls".
    I'll take another look and see if I see any harness that look similar...but, I have low hopes of finding anything useful, it is a different brand after all.
    Even though mine is a different brand, I'm reasonably sure that the 2 vertical spades are 24VAC input. Mine has no other power input, it must drop the voltage down internally for the lights. Now that I look at a blown up image of your power block, I can clearly see that the spades are 24VAC. If you do not have a plug foe it, the female spade connectors can be bought at any car parts store. They will be individual, but polarity is not important on AC. Maybe a Sankyo has a separate 8 volt input for lights.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sooo, time for a quick update.
    First of all thank you for all your replies.
    @pachiwall: Yes, it's got an 8v and a 24VAC. The 24V Plug was present, but the 8v plug was missing.
    I went to the hardware store yesterday and they had never seen it, so either it's too old or not in compliance with German/European standards and thus not available.
    That is why I decided to disassemble the power block, remove the pins and insert them in a luster block. That way I also had the pin-colors:
    image4.jpeg
    This also enabled my to do a little bit of trial and error with the tray switch wiring. I blew 4 fuses, but in the end I found the fight way to connect the cables with the 8V power cables (through use of an interim luster-block:
    image3.jpeg
    Blue and red go to the switch, the white ones go to the 8V port and the black/white ones to the power supply.
    Also, the switch was connecet in a way that the red light would go on when the tray would be full, so I swapped the connections so it will go on, once the tray is empty.
    I am powering the 8V parts with a standard 9V universal power supply, which works great. I first used a power transformer, but that proved impractical as it got super-hot, as well as the red and blue cable. No idea why, but with the universal power supply no such thing happened.
    As for the 24VAC power supply, I did use a 230->24V transformer, that I screwed onto the frame and which works fine too (no overheating or anything):
    image1.jpeg
    Now that I had everything wired up, I powered it on. First I thought, the speaker was broken, because I could only hear a faint humming. I decided to put a ball in the jackpot hole and it was then my heart stopped for a moment, because that sound theatre was so loud, it made me jump.
    I decided to salvage a potentiometer from an old stratocopy and mount it (thank you, @DrDark for the instruction). That thing is horrible and I will eventually have to replace it as it has only 3 settings: off (3/4 of the potential), almost inaudible and blasting, but for now it'll get the job done, just like the mount that I "constructed" from an old film can:
    image2.jpeg
    That's what I've done so far and from what I can tell, it's working:
    image5.jpeg
    I will only be able to tell for sure, once my order of pachinko balls arrives. The cabinet came with a whopping 8 balls.

For now I have only two things left, that I have not been able to figure out:
    1. What makes the green light that's adjacent to the red empty tray light go off and what is it for? I tried the second set of switches which are behind the empty tray switch (red&blue cable), but no good. I tried connecting the loose white cable at the bottom to the empty white pin of the 8V port, nothing, so yeah. I anyone has an idea, I'm open to suggestions.
    2. what are the white cable at the bottom and the white cable port at the 8V port for? Ground? If so, where would I connect them to achieve proper grounding?

I'm pretty happy with how far I got so far, but if you have any ideas, let me know!
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Maraduk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Today the pachinko balls came and everything works great. One nail was bent so the balls got stuck, fixed that.
    From what I can tell, the white cable doesn't seem to be missed by any part of the cabin, so I just left it where it is, may it rest in peace, whatever it may have been for.
    I haven't been able to crack the 777-Jackpot that lets the red lights on the side go off, but I guess it works too.
    I love it, my girlfriend hates it, because, even with the speakers being off the mechanical sounds and the bells inside are really loud. Oh well, I can live with only playing when she is not home.
    Thank you all for your help, I will close this ticket now.

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Maraduk