Thread: I've done it, I bought a Pachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default I've done it, I bought a Pachinko

It's a 1973 (昭和49 on the blue sticker?) Nishijin Model B! It's not in the best shape... its filthy, its got a bit of water damage and staining on the laminate, and the frame is a little wobbly; but all the critical parts move well/interact correctly (as far as i can tell), and the price was right.

I have watched Mopars fantastic video on the Model B, and i have read JACKSJE4s cleaning thread. There is a lot of really great information in both of those videos.

I still have a few questions that I probably just don't know the correct terminology to find searching the forums, so I apologize if this is the Nth time these have been answered.
    (pictures were taken before I started cleaning. I've taken the Plexiglas off as it was very warped. I've already replaced it with glass.)

This is an aftermarket bell, right? What is signalling the bell? How does the yellow 'CB' power lead work? The schematic in JACKSJE4s thread says it is connected to the empty hopper ground? I think this thing needs to be rewired, pretty much every connection to the lights are all intermittent. The bell rang for a moment the first time I plugged it in, but has not made a sound the whole time I was playing with the jackpot and empty hopper switches, or any other time i unplugged and plugged it back in.

The dump mechanism is very sticky, but can be easily operated with two fingers. I've cleaned it pretty well, but it still doesn't like to slide. I've read not to use any kinds of oils, to avoid collecting more dirt, but if I cant get this to loosen up, what can I use to lessen the friction in this area? Graphite?

What makes the leaver above the see-saw rise, what is it connected to?

How does the plastic leaver on the shooter mechanism prevent play? I cant really tell what its doing on the other side of the playfield. Does it prevent the loading of new balls?
    Also concerning the shooter.... Is there supposed to be a bumper on the 'hammer'/Shooting arm? Mine is just a somewhat rusty spring, I don't want to destroy balls with it if its missing something, or with the rusty spring if that is what's supposed to make contact with the ball.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to ItsTheCob

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: I've done it, I bought a Pachinko

Moderns are more my thing, and me personally would remove the modifations (ie the additional bell) the machines own bells are a much nicer sound.
    As for the shooter hammer, a rusty spring sounds right of course you can clean the spring

Nice looking machine
    Ian #UKPachinko

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: I've done it, I bought a Pachinko

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTheCob View Post
    It's a 1973 (昭和49 on the blue sticker?)

This is an aftermarket bell, right? What is signalling the bell? How does the yellow 'CB' power lead work? The schematic in JACKSJE4s thread says it is connected to the empty hopper ground? I think this thing needs to be rewired, pretty much every connection to the lights are all intermittent. The bell rang for a moment the first time I plugged it in, but has not made a sound the whole time I was playing with the jackpot and empty hopper switches, or any other time i unplugged and plugged it back in.

The dump mechanism is very sticky, but can be easily operated with two fingers. I've cleaned it pretty well, but it still doesn't like to slide. I've read not to use any kinds of oils, to avoid collecting more dirt, but if I cant get this to loosen up, what can I use to lessen the friction in this area? Graphite?

What makes the leaver above the see-saw rise, what is it connected to?

How does the plastic leaver on the shooter mechanism prevent play? I cant really tell what its doing on the other side of the playfield. Does it prevent the loading of new balls?
    Also concerning the shooter.... Is there supposed to be a bumper on the 'hammer'/Shooting arm? Mine is just a somewhat rusty spring, I don't want to destroy balls with it if its missing something, or with the rusty spring if that is what's supposed to make contact with the ball.
    That is an aftermarket bell, it is a regular doorbell, still available for purchase at ACE Hardware or Home Depot.
    I can't tell how it is wired. There are two OEM leaf switched on your model B; again, I can't tell in your pictures what is wired.
    Some close up pictures will help, possibly.

Do you have enough pachinko balls for your machine to function properly? You need to have enough in the rear, top hopper to depress the ramp.

It is common for the dump lever to be a little sticky. If you take it all apart, you can see if it is caused by rust or if the metal is bent a little and pinching the plastic.
    You don't need to dump the balls often, only for transporting the machine... to keep pachinko balls from falling all over and getting jammed in un-natural places...

I'm not sure what lever you are referring to above the see saw?
    Lever behind the see saw dust cover moves during a jackpot (jackpot balls push one side of lever down, other side of lever goes up behind see saw)
    The shooting flag lever is also above the see saw (but not behind a dust cover); it is pushed down by pachinko balls in the back, upper, reward tray and also lifts the flag allowing pachinko balls to load in the front top tray.

If the plastic lever, connected to the shooter in the back of the machine, is pushed to one side or prevented from moving; reloading the shooter is prevented.
    This happens if the front lower tray is filled past its capacity, very uncommon occurrence.

The rusty spring on the shooter tip is the OEM tip, it is correct.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The rusty spring or rather spring is supposed to be there. All mine are rusty, I just sanded them up a bit, some clr on the tracks and bam, it all works nicely.

I agree the extra bell seems weird, and odd, these things are noisy enough so I have no idea why anyone would add extra noise!

As for sticking, not sure which part you mean, but once you take things apart and clean them (they are quite gross inside!) things slide well without any lube. The only wd-40 I have used is on the rusty parts, away from the machine, on the springs that I can’t seem to find as they are softer than anything I can find in my local ace... but I keep trying!
    Jewelry Metalworking, Chainmaille, Pachinko
    Pliers make me happy

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Rumpled

Thanks
    Thanks Received

at first glance it look like the bell is wired for the parlor use.. meaning it will go off when low on balls.. i have to be honest and never played with that circuit before..

I agree i would remove it.. but if wireed to the jackpot cycle a short ring when winning might be ok?? probably not

either way congrats on the vintage..

the dark side rules and vintage machines are better.. (i have proof)
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post

Do you have enough pachinko balls for your machine to function properly? You need to have enough in the rear, top hopper to depress the ramp.

I'm not sure what lever you are referring to above the see saw?
    Lever behind the see saw dust cover moves during a jackpot (jackpot balls push one side of lever down, other side of lever goes up behind see saw)
    No, I currently have no balls. 2000 balls should arrive tomorrow.

Yeah, I think that's the same leaver? this one? it connects to this paperclip looking thing by the jackpot leaver? I cant really tell what the purpose of it is. It'll probably make more sense once i fill it with balls.
    this thing.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpled View Post
    As for sticking, not sure which part you mean, but once you take things apart and clean them (they are quite gross inside!)
    Just that the dump mech doesn't like to slide on its own, i have to move the 'lock' over with another finger before i can slide it to the open position.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice machine! Most of my machines have water stains and all are dirty to one degree or another. I only care that the machines work properly. Oddly enough, I have a Daiichi with the same center attraction...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTheCob View Post
    No, I currently have no balls. 2000 balls should arrive tomorrow.

Yeah, I think that's the same leaver? this one? it connects to this paperclip looking thing by the jackpot leaver? I cant really tell what the purpose of it is. It'll probably make more sense once i fill it with balls.
    this thing.jpg

Just that the dump mech doesn't like to slide on its own, i have to move the 'lock' over with another finger before i can slide it to the open position.
    regarding the picture..

your thumb is on a reset rod.. the last act of the jackpot payout is the balls falling from the jackpot.. the balls land on the other end of that reset rod pushing it down on the other end.. that act of falling down lifts the jackpot seesaw up so another ball can enter starting the jackpot sequence all over again..

yes having balls in the machine will help lots
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

14. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances