Thread: Comet II questions

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Comet II questions

I've been looking at a gorgeous looking Comet II, but the guy seems to think that it is very rare and worth a lot of money, even though it has missing/broken parts. Ive done a bit of searching, and saw someone say that the Comet II is something like the 3rd most common vintage machine.

Is there anything that would make a Comet II inherently more valuable than any other Comet II? This one has a hula/island theme and has a large Sanyo emblem opposite the launching leaver (i havent really seen another Comet II with this emblem)
    It needs quite a bit of work, glass is easy to get, but its missing the ashtray, and the top ball tray is in a really bad way, missing a section of the side wall. Ive tried to find replacement parts, but as expected, they're not easy to find, but im hoping this community can help source these parts.

I was hoping to get some help making an informed offer on the machine, or see if the asking price is reasonable...
    What do you think a reasonable price for this machine would be?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Comet II questions

its not rare...

Comet II machines are good and bad.. the play field's don't water stain like other brands but getting them to work right on the back side can be a pain some times..

looking at the pics you provided i think i would pass unless it was dirt cheap.. the missing tray in the front looks poor and the broken tray in back (though not a deal breaker) will need to be rebuilt or replaced. (in my opinion... )

for a first machine.. my recommendation would be to pass on it..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

30 bucks. The back tray can be fixed and is out of sight. The ashtray won't affect play. If those defects don't bother you, in my opinion, 30 would be fair. If you are looking to do a full resto, those parts might be difficult to source in the short term...

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to machgo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Comet II questions

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTheCob View Post
    I've been looking at a gorgeous looking Comet II, but the guy seems to think that it is very rare and worth a lot of money, even though it has missing/broken parts. Ive done a bit of searching, and saw someone say that the Comet II is something like the 3rd most common vintage machine.

Is there anything that would make a Comet II inherently more valuable than any other Comet II? This one has a hula/island theme and has a large Sanyo emblem opposite the launching leaver (i havent really seen another Comet II with this emblem)
    It needs quite a bit of work, glass is easy to get, but its missing the ashtray, and the top ball tray is in a really bad way, missing a section of the side wall. Ive tried to find replacement parts, but as expected, they're not easy to find, but im hoping this community can help source these parts.

I was hoping to get some help making an informed offer on the machine, or see if the asking price is reasonable...
    What do you think a reasonable price for this machine would be?
    The ashtray will not be easy to find or to 3D print, etc. Your best bet is to find a donor machine with the same ashtray.

The upper tray can be replaced or patched up fairly easily. I and other members on PT would have spare upper trays.

The Comet II is not particularly rare and that one in your pictures is nothing special to me. It might be worth $250 to someone else, to me it's a $30 machine because of the ash tray.

Comet II machines frequently have an issue called sticky see saw; that is an easy fix.

Here is a picture of one similar to your pictures...

Comet II 01.jpg

My personal preference is the Comet II's with the circles atop the playfield...

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you for your input everyone, it is much appreciated. It seems my concerns were warranted.

I was only entertaining the idea because of the machines available in my area, I like how this one looks the most. I do like the themes of some of the other vintage machines, but the asking price is around $150-200 for many of them.

Carl, i like those lights too, i didn't notice that the jackpot lights were different than most of the other Comet II pictures I've seen.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to ItsTheCob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTheCob View Post
    Thank you for your input everyone, it is much appreciated. It seems my concerns were warranted.

I was only entertaining the idea because of the machines available in my area, I like how this one looks the most. I do like the themes of some of the other vintage machines, but the asking price is around $150-200 for many of them.

Carl, i like those lights too, i didn't notice that the jackpot lights were different than most of the other Comet II pictures I've seen.
    $150-$200 is much more than I would pay! Those lights were added by Carl. I'm sure they are LEDs with an Arduino controller. They are cool!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would be at $30 bucks too. I had to add fishing weights to my see saw to get it to reset every time.
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

12. The following user says "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My area has high prices too, $250 on up, but I have managed to talk most everyone to $40 or $50. I sent them a link from one of the pachinko sites to show them um, it is not rare, and if not restored, it is not worth the money and being polite, so far only one person got offended.
    So try to counter offer, especially if it has been sitting there. Of course, I do only have very common machines but I am a newbie.
    Jewelry Metalworking, Chainmaille, Pachinko
    Pliers make me happy