Thread: 1973 Nishijin Model A Help

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question 1973 Nishijin Model A Help

I recently acquired this 1973 Nishijin Model A "Tulip Cross" from a garage sale for nothing. It w at one time in her former game room until it started acting up. According to her, her ex husband fussed with it back in the day and never worked again. It was relegated to the garage which the years were not exactly the kindest. She gave it to me...or it was gonna go with the next load to the landfill.
    I would like to get it cleaned and functioning first before I decide what level of restoration I would like to have done as an addition to my man cave. However, I believe some of the rods may have been bent/tweaked/broken over the years and have yet to find any detailed close up photos or video as to the exact locations of the rods.
    Image00001.jpgImage00002.jpgImage00003.jpgImage00004.jpgImage00005.jpgImage00006.jpgImage00007.jpgImage00008.jpgIMG_3227.JPG
    Any wisdom would be appreciated for this newbie. I have been to Japan while in the military and with work. I have been to a Pachinko Parlor or two and thoroughly enjoyed the games. It would definitely be a conversation piece in my man cave. Thanks!

2. The following user says "Thanks" to rcbanni

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1973 Nishijin Model A Help

There are 2 great stickies in this section. Check them out and report back. Looks quite complete to me.

First though blow all that dust off. Will just cause more troubles Nice score at a great price.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Aarg...double post
    Last edited by Tink; 07-09-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have looked over the stickies and they don't really answer the questions I'm after. I want to make sure that ALL the rods are in their CORRECT positions and not bent in ways they shouldn't be. It had been fussed with and never worked again. That tells me there are rods tweaked in ways they shouldn't be. At this time, it will NOT load balls to launch among other things. I'm apprehensive of purchasing a DIY Restoration DVD in fear of still not getting the detailed photos of the mechanism. So, some detailed comparison photos or some detailed experienced wisdom to guide me in the right direction. And yes, I do realize that cleanup is crucial in getting the works operating. Once operating, I'm tossed on a full restoration or a good cleanup and TLC and keeping this one as a fully functioning survivor.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a number of Model A machines. I haven't studied your pics yet, as I need to go to bed for an earlier than usual work day tomorrow. I will look them over tomorrow, and compare them to functioning machines that I have. If I see anything, or need other pics...I'll let you know. Keep in mind that I am not particularly quick, but I do enjoy sharing knowledge, and helping others.
    Last edited by pachiwall; 07-10-2018 at 01:28 AM.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is a pic of the rod connection/locations.20180709_231634-1.jpg

As for the balls loading, open the glass then the loader door to inspect the loader mech.

Pic of the area in question will help us to get things going.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK...I wasn't finished with my beer , so I took a quick look at your pics. Since you did not describe, specifically...what it is, or is not doing, hard to know what to look for. #1: Lower mechanicals...most likely area for bent linkages causing problems. #2: Generally, not many problems above lower tray, but something out of whack will cause problems. I don't know if you have enough balls...but there are pressure plates that will stop payouts if there are enough balls. #3: This is easy to test, even if you don't have a working example. It is a shutoff valve that keeps the lower tray full...without overfilling it. Work that rod up and down to see the pressure plate that activates it. It is pretty self explanitary after that. #4: This leaf switch lights up the jackpot light when you hit a jackpot. Wont cause a malfunction, unless something interferes with other moving parts. Power is only used for lights. The game will play and pay without power. #5: Possible problem area...depending on what the problem is. Pic too small to see what is going on. #6: Good example of a usefull pic. Maybe better flash for the dark spots. However without symptoms, or a working example in front of me...don't know if anything is wrong. #7: Another good pic. The bent rod on the white plastic part...who am I kidding, I can't remember what it does. But, something in this area causes balls to go to the shooter. So, can be a problem area. #8: I don't even care about most labels. #9: Five tulips & center feature...should be pretty loose.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello rcbanni and welcome to the group

Sorry I cannot help as I'm more into the modern machines but I wanted to say HI

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I see two issues

at the top there is a flip lever that keeps the balls from flowing to the lower tray.. that need to be flipped up so the balls will flow from the top to the lower "recycle tray"

at the bottom of your machine there is a overflow rod that inter-fears with the shooter.. when the lower front overflow tray is full of winning balls the winning balls will rest on a lever.. that lever swings the wire up and inter-fears with the shooter mech deactivating it.. someone has bet the wire over the tab.. it should be under the tab..

of course your kinda local if ya need a hand im willing to help..

and if course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by rcbanni View Post
    I have looked over the stickies and they don't really answer the questions I'm after. I want to make sure that ALL the rods are in their CORRECT positions and not bent in ways they shouldn't be. It had been fussed with and never worked again. That tells me there are rods tweaked in ways they shouldn't be. At this time, it will NOT load balls to launch among other things. I'm apprehensive of purchasing a DIY Restoration DVD in fear of still not getting the detailed photos of the mechanism. So, some detailed comparison photos or some detailed experienced wisdom to guide me in the right direction. And yes, I do realize that cleanup is crucial in getting the works operating. Once operating, I'm tossed on a full restoration or a good cleanup and TLC and keeping this one as a fully functioning survivor.
    You need pachinko balls in the upper and mid level back trays for it to work correctly. 300 is a nice number; more is better (1000)
    Not enough will definitely hinder pachinko balls loading into the shooter.

There is a really nice manual available for the model A. It describes how to adjust the rods.
    It's not the easiest to read and understand but it is accurate!
    Have you seen it?

http://www.pachinkoboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Sutra-Import-Nishijin-Model-A.pdf

15. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

AWESOME picture! Would it be possible to get the rest of the lower left area in a photo? Between that and a manual that was passed along, I believe I will be golden. Also, does any of the mechanism have issues with shop air (120 psi) during my cleaning process? I can decrease. And....any recommended cleaners that will not harm anything?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    Here is a pic of the rod connection/locations.20180709_231634-1.jpg

As for the balls loading, open the glass then the loader door to inspect the loader mech.

Pic of the area in question will help us to get things going.

What is the possibility of getting another photo of just below your current photo of the lower left area?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

20180711_060929-1.jpg

Not sure about full pressure. I use maybe 50 or 60 psi.

19. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Tink