Thread: Pics of my second and 3rd machine. And who else is doing LED lighting?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Pics of my second and 3rd machine. And who else is doing LED lighting?

Just figured I'd share some pics of the (nearly) completed machines.

I still need to put the new lighting in the sankyo, and I took the pics of the nishijin before I put the electrical back in, and the final cover back on.

So, has anyone besides me been replacing the old lighting with LED lights? I've also been working on replacing some of the old leaf switches with Microswitches (based off information posted somewhere here)

I noticed my Sankyo uses a microswitch for the 'balls empty" that is NC instead of NO, so the switch is held down when the ball tray is full, and released when the ball tray is empty. I'm going to play with this on my nishijin. The biggest issue I had in the nishijin, was if I set the switch up the same as the original, even with the lightest switch I could get, the switch would either not activate, or prevent the mechanism from operating properly. I'll post updates if anyone is interested, and noone has tried this before.

Also, if anyone is interested, I can share the designs I created for the bracket to hold the microswitches for the Nishijin B. I've just been cutting them out of acrylic plastic. (Mental note: take picture and share it, duh)
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 11 users say "Thanks" to Spear

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Pics of my second and 3rd machine. And who else is doing LED lighting?

Nice looking machines! I have acquired a bunch of machines and have done a basic cleaning and tune up to all of them. I replaced all the incandescent bulbs with 9 volt E10 LEDs. For some of my machines I rewired them partially or fully, including new bulb sockets.

4. The following user says "Thanks" to machgo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Pics of my second and 3rd machine. And who else is doing LED lighting?

Quote Originally Posted by Spear View Post
    Just figured I'd share some pics of the (nearly) completed machines.

I still need to put the new lighting in the sankyo, and I took the pics of the nishijin before I put the electrical back in, and the final cover back on.

So, has anyone besides me been replacing the old lighting with LED lights? I've also been working on replacing some of the old leaf switches with Microswitches (based off information posted somewhere here)

I noticed my Sankyo uses a microswitch for the 'balls empty" that is NC instead of NO, so the switch is held down when the ball tray is full, and released when the ball tray is empty. I'm going to play with this on my nishijin. The biggest issue I had in the nishijin, was if I set the switch up the same as the original, even with the lightest switch I could get, the switch would either not activate, or prevent the mechanism from operating properly. I'll post updates if anyone is interested, and noone has tried this before.

Also, if anyone is interested, I can share the designs I created for the bracket to hold the microswitches for the Nishijin B. I've just been cutting them out of acrylic plastic. (Mental note: take picture and share it, duh)
    Look for a low force, long lever, microswitch. I am still using up a horde of discontinued D42LR1XL ZF brand...

If you have the machine all taken apart, it is easy enough to drill holes in the plastic and use machine screws and spacers to mount the microswitches.

These are some pictures of an "extra" switch mod that is similar to what Nishijin did on a few machines...

Extra Switch 2.jpg Extra Switch 1.jpg

There are: screw in base, colored LED, bulbs on eBay. Usually good from 3 to 12 V, usually referred to as "Lionel" bulbs or flashlight bulbs.

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Pics of my second and 3rd machine. And who else is doing LED lighting?

I will get to posting some pics, I keep forgetting to take them. I'm off on a business trip right now. But the bracket I made, I designed to use the same mounting holes/screws as the original switches.

I'll post the exact switch type I use with them when I post the pics. As I mentioned, works fine for the payout activations, I have yet to test changing the direction of the switch activation for the 'out of ball' switch.

I've been using 12v LED designed for pinball machines, the lights come in different shapes and sized that are useful to fit into different spots.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    Look for a low force, long lever, microswitch. I am still using up a horde of discontinued D42LR1XL ZF brand...

If you have the machine all taken apart, it is easy enough to drill holes in the plastic and use machine screws and spacers to mount the microswitches.

These are some pictures of an "extra" switch mod that is similar to what Nishijin did on a few machines...

Extra Switch 2.jpg Extra Switch 1.jpg

There are: screw in base, colored LED, bulbs on eBay. Usually good from 3 to 12 V, usually referred to as "Lionel" bulbs or flashlight bulbs.
    Is this taking the place of the jackpot switch?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

"Hey, this guy keeps talking about posting pics but never does"... nah, I'd like to procrastinate but I keep putting it off.

But I do eventually get things done. OK, so here we go.

I replaced the 'out of balls' switch on my Nishijian B today with the bracket I've made and a microswitch.

And in case anyone's forgotten, here's the switch I replaced:

2018-07-20 12.44.23.jpg

So, here's the new switch and the bracket, side by side and assembled. I'm using a Omron D2HW-C221H microswitch.

2018-07-20 12.45.12.jpg2018-07-20 12.48.30.jpg

Gotta test before you solder anything!!

2018-07-20 12.58.27.jpg

And completed install. Works when you have the weight of the balls compressing the switch. First time I tried this with the switch the other way (activate switch when the balls ran out) the switch would prevent the arm from activating the ball lockout, etc, properly.

2018-07-20 13.34.32.jpg

i've attached the plans for my bracket below. I've even put a little scale so you know if you've printed too big or too small.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Spear

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice! I have tinkered with swapping micro switches for leaf switches. NOT FUN. I ended up resoldering, and gooping up with silicone a bad leaf switch...just because the pressure required was so low. I always enjoy threads about switch modification and improvement. Saves me time in the trial and error department!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yea, trick is to get the lightest resistance you can on the switches. And even then you might have to re-engineer things a little to work right.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My biggest problem was scrounging "parts on hand". all I had was micro switches from previous projects and teardowns of existing (broken) electronics. Nothing "low force".