Thread: Hello First Pachinko - Some Questions

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Hello First Pachinko - Some Questions

I am a long time candy cab (Super Neo 29, Hyper Neo 29, 2x Q25s, Blast City, AWSD)/US cab (various) owner but I recently acquired a couple pachinkos. I am handy with cab maintenance and I'm pretty sure I've figured out how everything works and what the components do, and have taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled this first pachinko:

9 Drums Gladiator:
    20180520_153225_resized.jpg
    20180520_153250_resized.jpg
    20180520_153255_resized.jpg

The game plays well, and I've got around 1000 balls (came with the two pachinkos), but I find I have to keep going into the ball return to dump balls back into the front tray, and I'm looking for a better way to manage the balls for home use.

It looks to have a credit display on the front here, and on the back on the lower right hand side there is a serial port with nothing connected to it. I've seen some threads here referring to a Daverob dongle that from what I gather connects to this port and emulates being connected to a card/credit system for letting you cash in credits for balls dispensed from the reward hopper. Is this worthwhile, or does it really just deplete the reward hopper quickly and create its own problem? I would imagine to get real value out of it you need to have a lifter to recycle the balls from the ball return into the reward hopper. This seems like an expensive option.

I was considering as an alternative cheaper option, building a platform to mount the pachinko to that adds a stable base and also lifts the machine high enough to put a long tray under. The idea being that the tray would reach all the way to the back to catch the balls coming out of the return, and be tilted slightly so that these balls would roll to the front of the machine so that you could easily grab them and dump them back into play.

Is this just a matter of preference? What do you guys think? Would I also just benefit from another 500-1000 balls in general? What have you all done and found gave you the best result for home play?

Also, I have this pedestal that I'd like to keep the pachinko on. It lights up on the inside to illuminate the back glass, has a built in power strip inside to run the power cord for a slot (or whatever), and has a side drink holder, so I have no interest in wall mounting the pachinko. I'm not opposed to building an enclosure for it though to make the base look nicer.

20180214_161241_resized.jpg

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Jaelus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Hello First Pachinko - Some Questions

first off

Welcome to Pachitalk

sounds like your talking about our late friend, Luckydogs patented paint tray ball catch.. put the pachinko on a couple of 2x4 and put a paint tray under it.. the balls will roll to the front..

not my fav idea but i understand not wanting to spend up for a ball lifter.. I have a lifter and all i can say is i wont play another modern pachinko without a Daverob Dongle.. get two there small
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Agree with Mopar. After playing a modern with a ball lifter and DaveRob dongle I won't play any other way. It is a bit of an investment, but for me it was worth every penny to just sit and play and never worry about touching a ball.

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The paint tray idea sounds just like what I was thinking. I'll give that a try. I love my cabs, but I'm not sure how much I'll get into pachinko until I have more time to play these and see what other machines there are. 9 drums is ok so far, and certainly a lot more fun than a slot machine, but I would imagine some machines have more varied play and music.

Where can I purchase a Daverob dongle? I've seen links but none seem to take me to a store.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Clover collectibles usually has them in stock or you can purchase direct from Dave at pinballdave.com.

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you. I looked at clover last night and didn't see them in the inventory at all (not even a placeholder). Maybe I was looking in the wrong place?

I was also browsing around for ball lifters. Are there any good places to get them for a good deal? I found some as cheap as mid $200s but it didn't seem like they were in stock. The ones I was looking at previously were much more expensive, but if I can get one more reasonably maybe I will just go the lifter/dongle route. I trust what's been said here and figure it's better to just go for it and save time and money in the long run.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well a lifter and dongle would save time. Also save your arms from the ball shuffle and make it more enjoyable.
    Ian #UKPachinko

12. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello Jaelus and welcome to the group

The Daverob dongle is a great feature. I have several set up on some of my machines. I also have a couple ball lifters but only one in place so far and it does a good job. I haven't been in any hurry to get another set up yet as I somewhat enjoy the challenge of the ball shullfle

http://pinballdave.com/store/index.html

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Peteybob View Post
    Hello Jaelus and welcome to the group

The Daverob dongle is a great feature. I have several set up on some of my machines. I also have a couple ball lifters but only one in place so far and it does a good job. I haven't been in any hurry to get another set up yet as I somewhat enjoy the challenge of the ball shullfle

http://pinballdave.com/store/index.html
    Oh that's great, thanks. Just what I was looking for!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I looked over at Clover's site and it looks like they are revamping the inventory pages. They had many more items than I see there today so keep checking back there too. You could also send them an inquiry as to what they might have available. I thought I read a while back that recent inventories were running low but they could be built back up by now at one or both sites.

If everyone is currently out of stock then give me a shout as option #3 if you want. I'm not looking to compete, rather I want these guys to get the business first compared to any extra items that I may have.
    Last edited by Peteybob; 05-22-2018 at 06:18 PM.

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

My system uses 2 Daverob dongles per machine. So as to have a free play function or card credit. Changeable via key switch.

Of I put my mind to it. I could probably make my make my own system. But can't be bothered as lack of time
    Last edited by Drunkenclam; 05-22-2018 at 06:30 PM.
    Ian #UKPachinko

19. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    My system uses 2 Daverob dongles per machine. So as to have a free play function or card credit. Changeable via key switch.
    That sounds like an interesting setup.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Peteybob View Post
    That sounds like an interesting setup.
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead