Thread: Sammy Crash Bandicoot Bad LCD?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sammy Crash Bandicoot Bad LCD?

Just got an old Sammy Crash Bandicoot Pachinko in, the unit powers on, animatronics move, screen boots up then goes black after 20-30 seconds.... if you drop a ball in the center pocket quickly you can watch the reels spin and the game plays with musics & sounds (and you can continue to play with the black screen - just noting to see)
    I checked all the wire connectors, changed the dongle(no reason just trying), and I have a huge heavy duty 10A transformer on it so it's not for lack of power...... I do get a yelling girl error al-al open door but it seems that the one door contact I can find is broken b/c holding it in doesn't do anything. That's the only odd thing I can find.... anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,
    Bill

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sammy Crash Bandicoot Bad LCD?

I know nothing about the Crash or an Sammy pachis, so I'm very little help but here I go anyway!! Is there an error code on the back??

Did you actual unplug and plug in the screen connectors?? That works sometimes.. (See, not very helpful )

Post pics of the front and back and someone might be able to spot something..

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

3. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the help, I didn't check the LCD ribbons but I'll pull it apart and check that too.
    Here's front and back:
    crash bandicoot.jpg crash bandicoot front.jpg

5. The following user says "Thanks" to billyp203

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would check your supply voltage. I have had pefectly good screens shut down a minute or so (up to 10 min) due to power drop at the transformer.
    Ian #UKPachinko

7. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Okay, so hours later I pulled the cell and opened up each and every compartment and checked every connection, including the screen ribbon (which is a delicate piece indeed!).
    Put it all back together and no luck. the screen still powers on for just about 20 seconds or so, then and here's where I'm stuck? I think? I can here a very faint click when it shuts off.... so I think a relay is dropping.... or I could just be imagining it?

DC I have the whole thing powered by 10AMP transformer so if anything I'm over powering it but this one can run any of my other machines so I don't think it's a transformer issue here.

If you have a clue shout it out otherwise it's a nice colorful & noisy paperweight.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And while I'm here I will try and resurrect this thread...
    This customer recently told me that the screen IS actually on, if he shines a flashlight on it he can see the screen images (dimly and not lit but there!) SO I assume that the LCD backlight must be the problem, maybe the board is dropping power after a few seconds to the backlight, power modulation, bad fuse? or something else?? Just like a modern LCD TV these, I assume, have a white LCD strip lighting behind the LCD board to illuminate the image.... anyone have an idea how to access that area and a replacement solution?

I've told him to post but he says he can read posts here but for whatever reason can't login/join or post.... Mods any help there too? I can forward his email info to you.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by billyp203 View Post

I've told him to post but he says he can read posts here but for whatever reason can't login/join or post.... Mods any help there too? I can forward his email info to you.
    Hello, I'm no sure what's happening but new members that are registering, if they require approval for whatever reason, then it will show up as a notification for the Admin to approve, I've not had any notifications, so either the notification system is having a bit of a glitch or the registration emails aren't going out or perhaps they have gone to his spam or junk folder.

I know the system doesn't like some email addresses like hotmail etc and we do have some blocked IP's due to spamming, so if you can PM me the user name the member is trying to register with, then I can take a look through and see if it's hiding in the system somewhere, otherwise I suggest he tries registering again and the system will then flag it up as a duplicate registration and then I can see it and approve it.

Hope that helps
    Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have no experience with this particular machine, but usually LCD backlights are either LED or very thin fluorescent tubes. LEDs don't usually exhibit this kind of 'shutdown' behaviour, but tube backlights will, if either the tube is at it's end of life and is drawing too much current from the inverter (causing it to shutdown), or there is a fault in the inverter or wiring that causes the shutdown.

It's a very difficult fault to diagnose, as unless you have the specs for the display/inverter and suitable equipment to measure the backlight voltage and current (note a normal multimeter is NOT suitable as the tube strike voltage can be several thousand volts and will destroy a normal meter), you cannot tell which part is the faulty one.

If you did indeed hear a click noise, then it could be high voltage flashover causing the shutdown, and there may be a visible spark as well as a click when it stops working. I'd carefully examine the inverter board and cabling to the backlight tube for signs of arcing. But be very careful here, as some parts can retain enough voltage to give you a nasty shock even when the machine is powered down.

Usual high voltage warnings and disclaimers apply, ensure the machine has been unplugged and powered down for an hour or two before disassembly, don't touch anything you're unsure about. In fact if you're unsure about anything, then don't do it at all.

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks daverob, that actually makes sense, we install displays (but don't repair just junk them when bad) and I've heard about flashovers before. I'll pass this info over to him. I told him to see if there is a TV repair place nearby and see if they change help.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sammy Crash Bandicoot Bad LCD

He still can't post but asked me to update the thread and close the ticket: Here's his solution:
    The strip lights which illuminate the image have been taken off and given to the TV repair service to test it. It seems that they have been put in the frame "upside down" there and while testing have been shining a whole day. When we put the strip lights to the machine again, they started to shine and did not go off at all. Unfortunately, this time the image did not appear for an unknown reason. Today, we took the machine itself to that service and it seemed that one of the joint has been reconnected improperly. After fixing it, the image works without any issues. So, the theory is that the problem was connected with the position the strip lights had been placed in.

He said to thank everyone who helped. Your suggestions pointed him in the right direction!

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to billyp203