Thread: New Member Help - Machine ID, Switches, & No Power On

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New Member Help - Machine ID, Switches, & No Power On

Hello to all from a new member, just got this machine and need help getting it working.

1. Picture 1 - this is what it looks like, does anyone know the name of this machine?

2. Picture 2 Power Supply:
    (a) What does the 2-position slide switch at the top do and how should it be set?
    (b) What does the small push button switch below the main on/off rocker switch do?

3. Picture 3 Switches Inside Door (highlighted by hand drawn blue squares):
    (a) 3-position slide switch in upper left marked with 4 1 to left of it and 8 5 to right of it
    (b) Red square push button switch near middle left
    (c) 3-position slide switch near middle right marked with 4 1 to left of it and 5 8 to right of it

4. No Power On or pilot light when machine plugged in and main on/off rocker switch on power supply turned on
    (a) Main fuse on power supply tests good - any other fuses somewhere that I need to test?
    (b) Power cord from wall socket connects to transformer black & white wires, looks ok
    (c) 2-conductor cable connected to transformer output yellow and black (tests steady 27.4v AC) goes to a connector on the power supply
    (d) What is my next step troubleshooting no power on?

A million thanks for helping me !

Machine Front.jpgPower Supply Switches.jpgSwitches 2.jpg

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to drosen

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New Member Help - Machine ID, Switches, & No Power On

Hello drosen and welcome to the group

Your machine is titled GAI KIDS by Olympia from 1999. Some sites may have it listed under the Heiwa brand which I believe acquired Olympia some time ago.

Sorry I'm not familiar with your power supply to offer any certain tips. You can unplug and re-seat the cables on the power supply which sometimes works in different situations. The two slide switches appear to be volume controls to each speaker. Keep in mind that these were meant to be loud in a parlor setting. They most likely will go from loud to louder and loudest. The numbers 4-1-5-8 refer to the eight connection points underneath the switches on the circuit board and relate to which end is up for the switch. Basically an assembly guide point when built. The red button on the door I assume is for setting and changing the odds, typically 1 thru 6.

Changing Odds & Full Reset.jpg

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Many thanks. You're right about Olympia/Heiwa - the machine says Olympia on the front and the limited documents on the internet do refer to the combined name Olympia Heiwa. There is a sticker inside that says "Remanufactured by Grandview Products, Inc. New York".

If I could get it to power up I could test the buttons.

Biggest problem now is I don't know how/what to test to find out why it doesn't power on. I checked all connectors and they are good and tight. I don't what to do after having found the transformer outputs 27.4v and that goes to the power box. The circuit board in the power box and everything else inside the cabinet is very clean inside and all circuit boards are clean with no evidence of any burn marks or anything unusual.

How do I test that there is output current coming out of the power supply box? It has a number wires of various colors in connectors going to or from it, I have no idea how or which ones to test for current.

Again, many thanks.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you have power to the power supply, from the transformer, then I would guess something inside the power supply is wrong.

I would pull the power supply out and take a look inside for anything obviously wrong. I have had wires/connectors come disconnected. If nothing is obviously wrong, my next guess would be the power switch could be faulty. You might try replacing it.

Of course, while you have the power supply apart you can test to see where/how far the power goes till you no longer have power.
    What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you for your help.
    Tomorrow I'll test the power switch, but so far turning it on doesn't even light the red power LED (pilot light).

I see.the two output wires (27.4v AC) from the transformer going to a plastic connector, along with another bundle of wires coming from the hopper., and that connector plugs into the top of the power supply box. On the side of the power supply box is another plastic connector with a large wire bundle and the other end goes to a large circuit board (I'd guess the main board by size and number of components) close to the power supply box.

Can you tell me exactly how to test as you wrote " where/how far" the power goes?
    If I plug in the connector with the hopper and transformer wires, what would I do next?
    Test certain places on the power circuit board, or what...?