Thread: "Silver Leaf"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default "Silver Leaf"

I really don't know what to call it, but I'm going to refer to it as "silver leaf" because it reminds me of gold leaf. Many of the plastic parts in the play field have raised portions that appear to have had some sort of silver paint or "leaf" that has word off over time. It is definitely not colored plastic like the reds and blues. Has any restorer here had any luck bringing back the silver color? What techniques have you used? I once saw someone use an iron to apply some sort of chrome leaf, but I can't find that video anymore.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: "Silver Leaf"

Go to pachinkoman.com under tips and tricks.

3. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It is a plastic foil that is heat pressed on.

Here is the company I've bought it from and the correct color.

http://mail.aamstamp.com/aam/VALUE/i...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

(note the ones listed without lengths I believe are just square pieces of that width) Don't hold me to that though. I'd call up the company and check.

You will also want a sealing iron like one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Coverite-Blac...s=sealing+iron

(most hobby stores carry those in stock for about the same price.)

You could use a regular iron but trying to wield that monster thing around while holding onto the tiny part tends to be hard. Also temperature settings is kinda trial and error. Just get extra material (not that expensive) and try it on some random plastic things laying around your house. (Raised text on the bottom of plastic bowls / cups is a good start).

Also if I recall right pull it off cold, not hot. Been a while since I've used it, I mainly leave that task up to my father as he has manged to get the technique down pretty good.

Other foil options ( and company phone # listed) here
    http://aamstamp.com/productsfoil.htm
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 03-31-2018 at 05:14 PM.

100 machines and counting...

5. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am in the process of sourcing the brilliant silver tape from Aamstamp. Seems to be the only place I can find it.
    They sell small rolls of the tape for $3.50. I went to their website and ordered two rolls for a total of $7.00. Their website doesn't compute any shipping charges and you get an email a day or so later with the shipping charge. In my case (they are in CA, I'm in NY), they added $12.00 to ship via UPS for a total of $19.00.
    I don't know about you but that seems very high to me for shipping a couple of rolls of tape. I called the company and was told that UPS is the only shipping mode they use, even though USPS would be much cheaper and faster.
    They ended up with a total of $17.00 which is the two rolls of tape (7), a minimum order fee (5) and shipping (5).
    Has anybody else done business with them and if so, what did you pay for shipping?
    Or I guess I better question is who else sells the stuff?

7. The following user says "Thanks" to MagicDan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I previously purchased from them a few years ago. If I remember correctly they actually called me about the shipping charges to see if I was still interested in purchasing. They said in the call that they typically ship boxes at a time to commercial users and not a roll or two at a time to hobbyists which is why they tell you shipping costs after you complete the order. My cost was probably a bit lower because I am in CA. I figured for the amount of use I’d get out of it and how infrequently I would need to order more that I would just consider the total cost of investment rather than dwell on the fact that shipping was 2x the cost of the material. At the end of the day I would have paid $20 with “free shipping” and not felt like the cost was outrageous so why get twisted up that only $7 of that went toward product cost. If you find a supplier that will save you a couple dollars in shipping costs please share so we can all benefit.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

https://www.dickblick.com/products/p...yABEgLGivD_BwE

I just started google searching "embossing foil" and came up with this link. I think it may be relatively easy to find in some craft stores.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

.005" or 5 thousanths of an inch. About the thickness of 2 human hairs...or 3 if tou are balding like me. I can't find the thickness in the AAmstamp site. I would expect it to be thinner. I would think that .005" may work for flat or slightly curved surfaces. Like wrapping a piece of paper around a ball...there will be folds. Keep in mind that I have not tried either one of these products, so I can't really know if one is any better than the other, but I will be watching.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

mxfaiman: Have you had to use any sort of adhesive to make it work? Or does ironing it on just do it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The iron softens the plastic enough to where it adheres. Make sure the surface you are applying it is nice and smooth as well as perfectly clean. I usually tend to scuff up the surface with 400- 600 grit sandpaper (very light brushing). Usually helps a little, though don't put any deep gouges in the plastic.

You shouldn't need any adhesive for it.

Also I can't speak on the shipping cost. We bought a 200ft roll years ago and still haven't used more than half of it. So I can't recall what we actually paid at that time.

100 machines and counting...

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman