Thread: Swap frames of CR Evangelion 7 and CR Evangelion 8?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Swap frames of CR Evangelion 7 and CR Evangelion 8?

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if you can swap the cels of Eva 7 and Eva 8 with each other? I have an Evangelion 7 and love the Unit 01 animatronic inside of it, but I'd rather have the purple Rei Ayanami Eva 8 frame around it. At first I thought Eva 8 wasn't a V-trigger game because the joystick seemed to be replaced by a decorative Angel core (red ball), but I saw in a gameplay video someone move it for a mode feature, so it's still a joystick, it's just dressed up. I assume it's still V-trigger?

If the cels are interchangeable, will all the lights on either frame still light up or will some of them just not be utilized?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Swap frames of CR Evangelion 7 and CR Evangelion 8?

I have an 8 coming tomorrow, can take pics for you if you need some to be able to figure it out. I know the Eva machines change fairly subatabtially from version to version so I'd be surprised if it's possible.

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Aktif88

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

You might be lucky. It might fit and be 100% or it may fit but some of the lights and animatironics might not work. Or become a large paperweight
    Ian #UKPachinko

Sandwich Shooter stampeed valkyrie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I don't think they are... I was under the impression that 8 had it's own unique frame.. I can get you pictures as well, plus I can also snap some pictures of a spare cell I have for it.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to stampeed valkyrie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the offers, guys! I'd love to see photos of the cell out of the frame, stampeed. I took a close look at my Eva 7 and it doesn't look like there's any sort of indication of the model type inside or on the back at all. But looking at the fronts and backs of Eva 7, they look really similar to each other. I've attached some photos for comparison. Can you guys tell me if the red ball joystick on Eva 8 has a trigger button on it?
    front.jpgback.jpginside.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The eva 7 machine is a V-Trigger Frame.. the Eva 8 machine does not have the joystick that V-Trigger frame does.. the S2 core.. or "orb" only gets pulled backwards like a joystick.. but no left, right or forwards.. and no trigger.

Give me till this evening and I will snap a pic of the Cell outside the frame.

9. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to stampeed valkyrie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, Eva 7 is definitely a V-trigger, but I suspect Eva 8 is too. On the back sides, the PCBs and components below the cell look essentially the same, and the fronts of both machines are pretty close to the standard V-trigger frame styling if you look past the game specific moldings like the Unit-01 face and hand, full body Rei, etc.

As for the joystick, even though there is no trigger and it only moves in one direction, I still think it could be a V-trigger frame, just with the assumption that no cell other than Eva 8 would be put in it. I don’t believe that absence of a trigger and only being able to move down would be a problem for Eva 7. I think the only use of the joystick in gameplay is to move it down just like Eva 8. It can be used in a system menu of sorts, but it would probably be a benefit to my guests that are unfamiliar with pachinko to not be able to accidentally open that (opens when you aren’t in an active game and press the trigger).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Swapping certain trigger cells with others has worked fine for me, but one (I can’t remember exactly which) resulted in the lights not syncing properly. I was under the belief that the Eva 8 and Eva 9 frames were not compatible with other cells and were designed specifically for that model. If you do successfully put a 7 cell in an 8 frame I would consider picking up the 8. I love the frame, but heard the actual game wasn’t very good. Since the research I performed led me to believe no other cells were compatible with the Eva8 frame I never bought one. I did buy a 9 and love it, but have never attempted to mount another cell in that frame.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've got both machines... and the Eva 8 definitely has different controls than the Eva6&7 version of the VTrigger. There are added up/down/left/right buttons on the eva 8 to replace the joystick (as previously said, the s2 core is just a big button), and the neato fan that blows on your hand on the VTrigger (whenever there's any sort of fast movement scene) is gone. I've tried all day to find the Japanese web page that had the compatibility chart that says that eva 8 has an exclusive frame... but no luck. I might be able to check later at my machines, though they are buried right now.
    Woof!

14. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, I've searched all over the Internet trying to find specific information about Eva 8, or just a listing of V-trigger games, and I can't turn up anything helpful. I tried looking on Yahoo! Auctions for Eva 8 cell listings, thinking those might have some useful info, but I haven't found one yet. A compatibility chart would be amazing, especially if it was complete.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So I just pulled the cells out of my Eva 7 and Fever Macross and swapped them. It was never a question that you can swap various V-trigger games, but this experiment verified two things for me: the Eva 7 cell can at least operate in a generic V-trigger frame and alternatively, the Eva 7 frame can support operating other V-trigger games.

If a V-trigger compatibility list is ever compiled, I have at least verified that Eva 7 and Fever Macross are interchangeable.

emptyback.jpgcell.jpgplugs.jpgswapped.jpg

17. The following user says "Thanks" to XXVII

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by XXVII View Post
    So I just pulled the cells out of my Eva 7 and Fever Macross and swapped them. It was never a question that you can swap various V-trigger games, but this experiment verified two things for me: the Eva 7 cell can at least operate in a generic V-trigger frame and alternatively, the Eva 7 frame can support operating other V-trigger games.

If a V-trigger compatibility list is ever compiled, I have at least verified that Eva 7 and Fever Macross are interchangeable.

I will gladly take that Fever Macross Cell off your hands....

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Frame info for you. Don't think they are fully compatible.

Eva 7 Frame:
    https://ameblo.jp/highpower-dk/entry-11919185659.html

Eva 8 Frame:
    https://ameblo.jp/highpower-dk/entry-11919191857.html

20. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to mandoman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pics as promised of my Spare Eva 8 cell.

Optimized-20180316_074746.jpgOptimized-20180316_074837.jpg

22. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to stampeed valkyrie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ah, my dreams are crushed! The plug configuration is different. Even if Eva 8 is technically a V-trigger game, its cell wouldn’t fit in any other frame and its frame wouldn’t support any other cell. I suppose my only option now is to find an Eva 6 and swap frames. Thank you for the photos, stampeed. Either way, I’m glad to know for certain if this was possible and not have to wonder “what if...”

24. The following user says "Thanks" to XXVII

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by XXVII View Post
    I suppose my only option now is to find an Eva 6 and swap frames.
    I can confirm that all features work when switching 6 and 7. I swap the 7 into my 6 frame with no issues.

26. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138