Thread: Azteca the legend returns

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Azteca the legend returns

Well it has been about 5 years since my last attempt to fix this beautiful machine.......I will try again.......really hate to lose this one......trouble is after putting in medals.....machine accepts the medals.......and as long as the stop buttons are connected the machine won't work......if i disconnect the stop buttons.....things seem to be normal.......reels spin and then stop after time out.......I have taken off every cable and checked for continuity.......all are good.......i just dont know what board my be the trouble...and if i did...where would i get a new one??.......First i thought it was the stop button assembly........then thought it might be the reel stop board......then i thought i ought to ask for help.....so here I am....HELP PLEASE

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Azteca the legend returns

Sure it's not stop buttons? I think they're photo-interrupters, not sure how to test those.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Should the stop buttons light up on your machine and do they? If they should but do not, that could be the problem. One could be gummed up and sticking from the machine face or the internals could be messed up. When one of mine is stuck in the pressed position then the game play won't move on.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not sure on the connectors. Can you just unplug 1 button at a time. Or see if there is any leds that light up on the processor to confirm a button or lever has been pressed.
    As above. If any button is stuck and giving a signal. The game will not play
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

First of all I see it was your birthday so HAPPY BIRTHDAY. ......I took the stop buttons out of the machine......with the buttons in i cannot spin the reels.....when the reels are spinning and i plug the stop buttons back in reel #3 will stop and light will flash for the #3 reel and not the others and then the other two will time out and stop......tried it with just the ckt board and not the stop buttons and the same thing happens.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for coming to my aid......the connector for the buttons is a ribbon cable and i have to connect all three at the same time.....cannot test individually........I removed the button assembly from the machine.....and i can initiate the reel spin.......when i reconnect the button assembly reel #3 light will flash and reel #3 will stop.....the other two reels will spin and time out.......i have done this with the ckt board separated from the stop buttons to eliminate the possibility of the buttons causing trouble......thank you

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks for helping.....The stop buttons should light when the reels are spinning......they do not light up...have separated the buttons from the ckt board......and the buttons had no effect on the trouble..Thank you

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Post a pic of that circuit board please.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Talking Re: Azteca the legend returns

Here is a picture ...hope it helps.....Thanks again100_3004.JPG100_3002.JPG

10. The following user says "Thanks" to unclephil123

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hopefully one of our electronics experts will weigh in (Daverob is one of our best). Those PIC's are photo-interrupters. The two pin end is an LED, the 3 pin end is a photo-transistor. When the LED is on and nothing is obstructing it, the transistor is ON. When it is blocked, the transistor is off. Looks like at least your #3 is bad to start, as it triggers the reel without being blocked. A clearer picture of the first one would be good, more directly on-facing, easier to see where the pin traces go. From what I'm gathering so far, Pin 1, 2, and 3 are the signals for the reels to stop for Reel 1, 2 and 3 respectively. Hard to tell about the rest.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

from this point on, to test the output from the optocoupler you need some test equipment.
    Also if you can see any product information on the sensors giving make and model, so the data sheet can be found, also there are lots of different types, with different pin configs.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Only markings on the sensors is S A53...........here is a closer pic...hope it is better than last one100_3017.JPG100_3017.JPG

Thanks
    Thanks Received

http://www.sharp-world.com/products/...gp1a53hr_e.pdf

A little more complicated of a device than I realized.

My guess is that when there isn't anything between the gaps, the center pin of the three outputs 0V, when a button is pressed, it outputs 5V.
    It looks like the back of the circuit board is the ground plane. With everything plugged in (board by itself, no buttons), you should be able to use a meter and put plus on the center of the three pins and minus on the right one (or the left of the two pins at the bottom) and get a reading of around 0VDC. You should get 5VDC from the left and right pins of the three. The reading from the two lower pins should be between 1 and 1.5VDC, or around 5VDC from ground and the other side of R1, R2 or R3

The gap is very narrow on these. Slim chance, but you use a straw or something and blow out any dust or whatever that could be blocking the light.

Left Pin - 5VDC IN
    Center Pin - Output
    Right Pin - Ground

Bottom Pins
    Left Pin - Ground
    Right Pin - 1-1.5V

Did see on page 7 -
    Degradation
    In general, the emission of the IRED used in photocouplers will degrade over time. In the case of long term operation, please take the general IRED degradation (50% degradation over 5years) into the design consideration.

Sharp retired these about 2 years ago so they aren't made anymore, however there is a listing on Ebay. I'd check that voltages are correct to the components first, could be as simple as a bad cable. If the units are bad, then at least you can still get them.

I'm not much of an electronics guy, all the above is what I gathered from the pictures and the datasheet.
    Last edited by compirate; 02-02-2018 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Cause I keep seeing/finding out stuff!

15. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank You for the info.........tested as shown.....all readings in tolerance.......did notice that on the big board with all the LEDs that when i connect the photo board LE9 lights up on the big board in back of machine...is there a list somewhere of what each LED means?

Thank You again

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think the main boards vary a bit by manufacturer but this write up from an Aruze machine might get you started in decoding it. I didn't find one on Eleco brand. Is there anything like an abbreviated word next to the "LE9"? (post #26 - look at my LE17, LE18, LE19 which relate to the reels stopping)

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...ight=aruze+lcd

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you for your input........found an "OUTLAW" machine on craigslist......bought the machine and changed the stop buttons with the Azteca......machine works great........the trouble was the stop button board...not the reel stop board.......Thank you again

19. The following user says "Thanks" to unclephil123

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Now to diagnose the button board and you've got two machines

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you for all your help.......found an "OUTLAW" machine on craigslist......boards looked the same.......checked it out and the boards were the same....bought the machine......took out the stop button assembly.. and put it in the AZTECA and it works perfectly......so all I havve to do now is fine a new stop assembly board........thans you again

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sensible way of doing it. If your skilled enough. You could try replacing the compents linked to the effected reel.
    Ian #UKPachinko