Thread: Pachislo unit numbers

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Pachislo unit numbers

What's the deal with Japan's laws on pachislo unit numbers? And how does that affect us over here? Doing some small research, I found some Japanese articles on this, and from what I can translate, it's about politics. Let me know if I am wrong here. It's just a way for the Japanese government to control gambling since it's illegal to gamble. They outlaw certain unit numbers and only allow newer unit numbers to be used or manufactured. So how does this effect us buying them From Japan in auctions? I was contacted after winning an auction and was told they found that the unit number was listed as 4, but was actually 5 and asked how I wanted to proceed. I assumed they just asked this in case I was planning on using it in Japan or something, but they know I am shipping it to the US so why ask? Is this an issue?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Aliens Fanatic!

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Nethawk86

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Pachislo unit numbers

Compirate are might know.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Compirate are might know.
    From what I found, there are currently up to unit number 6. Each couple years they outlaw the most recent unit number and only allow the new unit number to be made and used. So units 1-4 were back in the day up until 2015-2016, then unit 5 was 2017 and is soon being replaced with unit 6s here soon. Just not sure if this effects me or others in buying them somehow...

Aliens Fanatic!

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I can only guess it's to keep up with whatever new laws they've come out with. I thought they had a major change not long ago and I suppose they want to get all the old games out of the parlors. Should mean good stuff for us, as they're retired quickly and can't be used there again. I don't think it's a concern for us.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

6. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

It doesn't. Your not in Japan. But it might push up the price of the older units as they get phased out.

The question is "what actually is a unit number" it's not like a serial number or model number as that differs from manufacture.

Is it a set of rules the machine has to obey. Like payout rates , spins per minute. Probability etc. To meet current regulations.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A good read (in English!) are Sankyo's annual reports. Gives a little insight into regs and changes.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Saying that gambling is illegal in Japan seems comparable to someone saying that sex is illegal in the United States.

A "number 4 machine" (Japanese: "4号機", Hepburn: yon-gō-ki) is a pachislot designed to comply with a version of the regulations/standards that starts with the number 4.

A "number 5 machine" (Japanese: "5号機", Hepburn: go-gō-ki) is a pachislot designed to comply with a version of the regulations/standards that starts with the number 5.

The first No. 4 machine is from 1992.

Version 5 of the regulations/standards started July 1, 2004.

All of the no. 4 machines should have been removed form use in gambling parlors in Japan by the end of September 2007.

If you look at the new machine listings on 777.nifty.com (without using an automatic mistranslator) the current (1/22/2018) listings are "5号機" (no. 5 machines).
    https://777.nifty.com/pachislot/

The main reason they want you to be aware of the error is because of the difference in standards.
    If you have devices, like a data counters, that are designed to work with a No. 4 machine they probably won’t work with a No. 5 machine.

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachi_sloter

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachi_sloter View Post
    Saying that gambling is illegal in Japan seems comparable to someone saying that sex is illegal in the United States.

A "number 4 machine" (Japanese: "4号機", Hepburn: yon-gō-ki) is a pachislot designed to comply with a version of the regulations/standards that starts with the number 4.

A "number 5 machine" (Japanese: "5号機", Hepburn: go-gō-ki) is a pachislot designed to comply with a version of the regulations/standards that starts with the number 5.

The first No. 4 machine is from 1992.

Version 5 of the regulations/standards started July 1, 2004.

All of the no. 4 machines should have been removed form use in gambling parlors in Japan by the end of September 2007.

If you look at the new machine listings on 777.nifty.com (without using an automatic mistranslator) the current (1/22/2018) listings are "5号機" (no. 5 machines).
    https://777.nifty.com/pachislot/

The main reason they want you to be aware of the error is because of the difference in standards.
    If you have devices, like a data counters, that are designed to work with a No. 4 machine they probably won’t work with a No. 5 machine.
    That is exactly what I was looking for!! Thanks a ton man. Makes sense and coincides with what I was reading with the "mis"translators lol. Yeah, agree on the comparison to gambling in Japan lol, they have so many workarounds and such that there really isn't any problems with it.

Aliens Fanatic!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachi_sloter View Post
    I really don't think the parlor connections for data have changed, or will. I'm pretty sure it's just about how they pay out and odds. If someone can prove me wrong, I'll eat a waffle!

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, ignore the last part of my post above. The 8-pin connector used by data counters appears to be the same.

The 4-pin and 16-pin connectors have been eliminated from the terminal board, but I don't know of anything for home use that’s effected by this (auto-stops don't count).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great question and responses about the unit numbers! I too learned something today

Also, if you pay the extra fee (700 vs 300 yen) to have From Japan inspect your items and there is a discrepancy they will most likely contact you. Being that it wasn't what you were buying they wanted your input. I've had the same sort of inquiry from them on a small item that was different but okay for me. Another time they missed something and after I received it I discovered the sellers error. Rather than both myself and From Japan taking a loss they gave me a credit for the product and didn't want a $25 item return to Japan. So to me, they are good about things when it has come to customer service after the sale.