Thread: 1976 Sanyo Comet II - Now I'm working on lights - Help appreciated

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 1976 Sanyo Comet II - Now I'm working on lights - Help appreciated

My 1976 Sanyo Comet II is now working very well and I'm starting to work on the lights. Here is a video showing where I need help. Thanks in advance:

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1976 Sanyo Comet II - Now I'm working on lights - Help appreciated

hook a 9volt to two of the studs on that circuit board.. its been years since i did a comet machine so im sorry i dont remember what two.. (guessing the two on the right).. take your time and try multi options.. if you hook them up wrong some bulbs will work but others wont... trial and error.. the nice thing is its low voltage so no risk of getting shocked...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Will do. I'm also wondering if this little board really does anything. I could just wire the bulbs and switches up my self without it. Or is there some feature I would lose out on? Also do I really need a fuse?

And how are the lights supposed to work? I pulled out that green wire from the machine and it just goes to the board so I can't see anything going to the round light area on the front right of the machine. If I wire this up I will have two bulbs in the left round area and none in the right. (as seen from the front)

In my video I point out that the left one seems inaccessable without taking a lot of the machine apart. Maybe it doesn't light after all but then why is it there?

Can anyone tell me how the lighting worked originally on this machine?
    Last edited by Magic Mike; 01-14-2018 at 01:35 AM.

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Way back in the parlor days, games of this vintage ran on 8VAC, from fairly large transformers powering multiple games, so they needed a fuse for protection. Home use on DC, not so much.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: 1976 Sanyo Comet II - Now I'm working on lights - Help appreciated

Mike,
    The two bulbs in the front, top left corner were the stock OEM bulbs. The one behind the red plastic is the low reward bulb, the other one is the jackpot bulb.

I liked to use blue, plastic crimp fittings that fit snugly on the correct posts.

DSC01505.jpg

6. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: 1976 Sanyo Comet II - Now I'm working on lights - Help appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mike View Post
    Will do. I'm also wondering if this little board really does anything. I could just wire the bulbs and switches up my self without it. Or is there some feature I would lose out on? Also do I really need a fuse?

And how are the lights supposed to work? I pulled out that green wire from the machine and it just goes to the board so I can't see anything going to the round light area on the front right of the machine. If I wire this up I will have two bulbs in the left round area and none in the right. (as seen from the front)

In my video I point out that the left one seems inaccessible without taking a lot of the machine apart. Maybe it doesn't light after all but then why is it there?

Can anyone tell me how the lighting worked originally on this machine?
    The printed circuit board (PCB) does eliminate a few wires and simplified the parlor hook up to a plug instead of thumb screws like the Nishijin Model B.

Typically no bulbs / wires behind the front, top right plastic. Not difficult to add another jackpot bulb there but it does involve removing the mechanism. There for looks only, typically.

Your new jackpot micro-switch can be wired normally closed or normally open depending on how it works easiest for mounting. I would test it out before soldering to ensure it works correctly, it's easy to mix up.
    Ensure the typical jackpot has enough force to press the micro-switch lever arm and not bind up the machine. I use "low force" micro switches.

Comet II 06 No.JPG
    Last edited by CarlW; 01-14-2018 at 02:09 PM.

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Jackpot light working: