Thread: 1076 Sanyo Comet II Where I am now, How I mounted it and a couple of questions.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 1076 Sanyo Comet II Where I am now, How I mounted it and a couple of questions.

This is where I am today on my 1976 Sanyo Comet II. It works well and I have made a few modifications and my own idea for way to mount it. I also have a couple of questions and appreciate any one who takes a couple of minutes to watch my video.

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Magic Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1076 Sanyo Comet II Where I am now, How I mounted it and a couple of questio

Hi, Mike. I don't have a Comet II readily accessible to look at the loose linkage you pointed out. My guess is that there is probably a missing e clip or two that should be holding things a little more snugly. Take a look to see if any of the linkage has a groove cut into it for the clip to sit in. They should be fairly easy to find replacements for.

As for the balls going into the center feature and opening different tulips, if you pull the back off so you can see the rear of the center feature I would imagine you would find that there are a couple different paths the ball can take to exit the center feature. The different exit paths will direct the ball through to trigger opening the left, right, or center tulip. This is a pretty common feature.

Nice job getting things running again.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1076 Sanyo Comet II Where I am now, How I mounted it and a couple of questio

Thanks for watching my video and for your comments. I'll take a closer look at that linkage as you suggest. I have a feeling I would have to take the whole thing apart to get to that though. Maybe I'll get up my courage and do it just so I can learn more about the inner workings and can also give everything a nice clean.

Right now I'm pretty happy with how it works and don't want to mess it up even though I don't think that is likely.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I love the turntable idea Mike, nice job!

For the balls stopping between the nails you can gently bend them. I've had this happen and also would tweak some nails for an easier or harder to win machine. I'm more into the modern machines but the same idea applies to both.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a Comet II that I have not restored...or even cleaned yet. It was part of a 3 machine deal where all I really wanted was the PowerFlash!
    i haven't looked at that part yet...but will look and see how it is designed. If you see anything that don't look right, ask. I'll check it out, and let you know.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks guys. I'm really happy with the turntable mount. I'm going to post it in the thread dedicated to cabinets as an alternative.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i can see on your vid a problem

the loose jackpot rods are no held correctly.. if you look at the pivot point near the low ball stop you can see a metal strap with two holes.. that strap should center the pivot point and hold it tight.. undo the two screws and then replace the screws thew that strap.. it should center the pivot point and take the slop out of it..

hope that makes sense??
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i can see on your vid a problem

the loose jackpot rods are no held correctly.. if you look at the pivot point near the low ball stop you can see a metal strap with two holes.. that strap should center the pivot point and hold it tight.. undo the two screws and then replace the screws thew that strap.. it should center the pivot point and take the slop out of it..

hope that makes sense??
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

try sloaping you machine to tilt back jsut a bit.. also thicker plexi or better yet glass will keep the balls from sticking.. the plexi your using is to flexible

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Posted my initial reply in that other thread where you linked the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    try sloaping you machine to tilt back jsut a bit
    Its got a pretty darn good lean. I dare say its on the verge of too much actually. Usually the machines should have a 3 to 5 degree lean. Over time the bottom board on the frame loosens up and they tend to acquire quite a bit more angle.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow Moparformance you nailed it. I still need a little advice on the fix though:

13. The following user says "Thanks" to Magic Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As to the lean it really has none. Maybe I need to lean it back a bit? The lexan I have in is fairly thick.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I believe that piece was riveted in place originally. Which means someone had to have drilled those out at some point.

I'd say either find some small screws and nuts to put it back on with. Or like you said just epoxy it back in place. Just make sure all the holes line up perfectly. Otherwise things might bind.

Also your lexan looks thick enough anything between 3/32" to 1/8" works best.

The reason the ball is hanging up is probably just because the nails need to be adjusted. Pair of needle nose pliers with a rag or towel wrapped around the tips work best. Just give the nail a little bend in the direction needed. It doesn't take much force to bend them seeing they are solid brass.

Looks like a round top rivet to me. Sorry I don't have a better picture. Though I do have 2 comet II that I parted out if anyone needs parts.
    Capture.JPG
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 01-09-2018 at 11:56 PM.

100 machines and counting...

16. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I wonder if that is a threaded bolt with it's head on the far side in your picture. Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just used two small pieces of duct tape for now. Works perfectly. I'll keep my eye out for some really small nuts and bolts. Thanks again. What a great forum.

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Magic Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

be mindfull of the weight... i like the idea of epoxy... but geting it right will be damn hard..

small aluminum pop rivet??

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The epoxy worked great and my machine is working very well. The problem with the balls getting stuck between the nails and the Lexan turned out to be that the Lexan was bowed outward a bit providing too much space. I turned the Lexan around and that problem went away.

Now to get the lighting working.