My first Pachinko machine was a single loader. Recently I aquired and repaired a 1976 Sanyo Comet II which has two trays in the front. The bottom tray looks like the jackpot tray of the single loader.

When I got the thing working I was surprised that the jackpots didn't end up in the lower tray but instead went directly into the upper tray. This seemed odd to me because I want to keep track of my "winnings".

I noticed that there was a boomerang shaped part inside the workings that was able to pivot. Someone explained to me that this part would divert the balls to the lower tray when the upper tray got to full. I tested this and it worked. (Although I can't for the life of me see how it works.)

Anyway It occured to me that I could add a small screw to lock this diverter in a new position that would send the jackpots to the lower tray. I tried it and it works perfectly!

To me this makes a lot more sense. I can, for instance, give my nephews and nieces each 15 balls in the upper tray and when those are gone they can see how many balls they have won in the lower tray. It also adds a little more interaction because you get to scoop those balls out and move them to the upper tray if you choose to do so.

Is this a common modification?