Thread: Sharing some new cabinet ideas - input welcome

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sharing some new cabinet ideas - input welcome

I built my cabinet a few years ago and love it, but I am tired of the bend and lift to refill the balls, so I bought a ball lifter.

IMG_2068.jpg

Now, I have to build a new cabinet, so it is time to design a ball handling system. Plus it was a great way to justify buying a 3d printer!

First I have to design a way to separate the mass of balls into individual streams - in this case single file streams inside 1/2 inch electrical conduit.

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 9.57.13 AM.png

This is the prototype separator. Works great and no jams. (took about 5 prototypes to conquer the jam problem)

The pipes will lead to valves at each machine.

IMG_9285.jpg\
    This are custom sized for each machine and sit on top of the ball hopper. It uses the motion of opening the Frame to open and close the valve. A 1/2 conduit fits into the top, and zip ties in for security.

IMG_9293.jpg

When the machine is open the valve closes

IMG_9294.jpg

When the machine is closed, the valve opens and the balls flow again. Next I have to catch the balls and get them back into the system. I designed a custom ball drain to get the balls back into a pipe so they could be taken away to the lifter.

IMG_9291.jpgIMG_9295.jpg

The lifter will lift them back into circulation. I plan on storing the balls on top (about 8000) so the lifter won't have to keep up with a fever.

All that is left is to design and build the actual cabinet to put all the pieces together. The cabinet will also have a chute on the front that you can pour any winnings into once you are done playing. And I am going to make a decorative 3d cover plate for the card readers that say "insert card".

Wanted to share what I was working on. Input or thoughts are welcome.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Briggs; 12-17-2017 at 11:21 AM.

2. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to Mike Briggs

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sharing some new cabinet ideas - input welcome

Nice set of machines. Just get yourself some data counters to help break up the large white section on top

Only concern I have, but it might be because its not pictured. Is you have 3 machines but only 2 feeds.
    if 2 have 2 on the saem pipe, if machine 2 is out of balls, but machine 1 is either not in use or paying out. then the balls may not be able to flow down to machine 2.

On my system (still work in progress due to kids and wife) I'm running a 2 stage lift system, where the balls flow down a 2in conduit sloping from one side of the cabinet to the other, with ramps cut in it to direct balls to each machine. At the end of the conduit, there is a tube to take the balls back to the storage tank. So that part of the system is designed to pretty much run constanlty, avoiding stops and starts and balls jamming.

I say 2 stage as I have 2 different storage areas with 2 different capacity lifters.
    The bottom lifter is rated at 550 balls per min. and will take the waste balls from the 3 machines plus the ball counter and lift them to the main tank located directly behind the machines.
    The main tank then uses 2 more lifters (so 1100 balls per min) to lift the balls to the top of the chute to feed the machines.

This way limits the amount of weight I have to have above head high.
    Also even when all 3 machines are in use. That is still less than 300 balls per min being feed into the bottom tank.
    Ian #UKPachinko

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice notes.

The new cabinet is actually going to be 4 machines, so I will use two of the prototype sorters. I wanted to separate the balls at the last point possible and feed from one tank, so Most balls would be available for all machines. That way when I swap out new machines and play them more, I don't have a bunch of balls not in circulation. I don't like having all the ball weight at the top, but will secure the cabinet to the wall for safety.

This is an older picture of the current cabinet, I have swapped out the superman for a Lupin Super Hero - which is great fun to play. The steering wheel is great!

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mike Briggs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I like the ball valves! you say they are "custom sized for each machine". How much variation is there for say...Model B vs Model A machines? Possibly you have only experimented with moderns. The purple pin...I expect it clamps onto the hopper? This looks like a really good idea that would sell! Some more pics from different angles would be nice.

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

IMG_9296.jpgIMG_9297.jpgIMG_9298.jpg

The customizable part I do is to change the height of the part so that it hovers right above the ball hopper, and does not go over the top of the frame once attached, so it can be inserted into a cabinet after it is put on the machine. Also, if you wanted to use it with something other that 1/2 inch pipe, that would have to be modified, which is more complicated that just changing the height of the attachment area. The purple post does indeed straddle the hopper, then I just secured it with tape so it won't slide along the hopper. I don't have any vintage machines, just modern, but from what I have seen it should work there as well. On the down side, it takes 25 hours to print one!

10. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Mike Briggs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

On the down side, it takes 25 hours to print one!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I could see your part over the hopper being used by those with extended ball space in the top of a cabinet alone. I'd think that to some extent that you could build up the height along the anchored side making it more adjustable to various machines. Then anything above the frame could be trimmed off. I don't know if this is practicable but in my minds eye it works.

If you ever look to share/sell your parts then I'd be interested.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Adjusting the height of the attachment side is easy before printing. Just takes 5 minutes once you have the measurement. Add 1/4 inch, remove 1/4 inch no problem. Much easier than cutting later.

Glad to share the file. It is a sketch up file. Or the STL file if you want to slice it yourself for printing.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Mike Briggs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'd love to check it out but I don't have a 3-D printer and my son recently sold his. I would have to job it out at this time.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I know this is an old thread but the valve is a really nice idea. have you ever posted the STL of SketchUp to a file service are do you still have your files. That would most defiantly solve a problem im having

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by HalfastII View Post
    I know this is an old thread but the valve is a really nice idea. have you ever posted the STL of SketchUp to a file service are do you still have your files. That would most defiantly solve a problem im having

Thanks

I still have the sketch up files, happy to share. don't know how best to go about it. Email? or can I upload them to Pachitalk?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

PM Sent