Thread: Maruhon The Ninja striking mechanism

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Maruhon The Ninja striking mechanism

I just bought a Pachinko as a Christmas present for my son. We had a manual one in our basement rec room when he was growing up over 40 years ago. He and his friends still have fond memories of it.

It is a Maruhon and I believe it is considered a modern one on this site. I have enclosed pictures of the front and a closeup of what I think is the model information. There are various text lables “EXCITING MACHINE & NEW WONDERFUL PLAY CREATOR“, “High Quality original new machine”, “Original new machine. Modish”, “Your Luck’s In!” and “Enjoy Play”. The Info box in the upper middle of the play field lights up with “THE NINJA” at various times. I’m hoping that someone will provide more detailed identification information.

I thought it worked fine when it was shown to me by the seller but now I’m not so sure. There seems to be a problem in the twist knob automatic ball launcher. The timing is off so that the striker does not contact the ball when it is in the dropped position and the balls just drop into the back of the machine. (Picture attached).

There is a small 2” x 2” box with “TOUCH SWITCH CONTROL BOX “ on it and a knob that I assume is supposed to control the timing. Turning it produces an audible click but I haven’t been able to find how it works with experimentation. Can anyone with a similar machine provide guidance.

Looks like any problem should be solvable but some of the access techniques look tricky.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to junkmail

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Maruhon The Ninja striking mechanism

Welcome Aboard

Ok. so the machine name in Japanese is 忍者影丸

Wow I hope you got a lot of balls with it, As most pages list the jackpot payout at 6000 balls.

OK the next bit is a bit generic so excuse me if its wrong.

Most of the early modern machines had a sensitivity adjustment on the back and some had a power adjustment.

I don't quite get what you mean by the timing is out, Do you mean it lacks the power to fire the balls on to the playfield.
    The motor just goes round and round all the time in the same direction, it has a cam on it that pulls the hammer back to fire the balls, once per rotation. (standard is one,) SO as long as you give the return spring enough power by turning the knob at least half way, the balls should machine it to the playfield.
    Also worth looking if fluff or something else has clogged the mech that feeds teh balls from the front tray into the shooter, as that can prevent the balls from flowing freely. If you can pop open the front glass section. and the look for a release catch on the bottom right to open the front tray.
    Ian #UKPachinko

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

In your first picture, I believe the clear plastic piece is supposed to be on the other side (right) of the wire.

The small knob controls the sensitivity of the touch ring on the shooter knob, the larger knob with the numbers controls the strength of the spring for the shooter.

On this page, the last number (約5200玉) is the amount of balls that can be expected from a bonus. Haven't seen too many with that kind of payout. Unless it came with a lot of balls, expect lots of refilling

Also just noticed, it's a Kenri-mono, or Rights game. Balls have to be placed in certain areas in a certain order to get the most from a game like this.
    Sorry, I don't know the order
    Last edited by compirate; 12-10-2017 at 08:49 PM.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello junkmail, nice looking machine and welcome to the group

Ninja Kageomaru is one variation of the spelling it seems (from my google translator).
    There appears to be a loose wire connector in the bottom corner of your first picture by the shooter motor. Or is it hooked up and I just cant tell?
    Wow Drunkenclam, that is a huge jackpot for one round! My arms are tired just thinking of moving all those balls around.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

open the front glass and then open the shooter tray below the glass door.. this will access the are where the ball loads the shooter.. pics of that are please
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

While not the same game, here is an old write up of one of my kenri style games that can give you a little info on how a kenri plays!!

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...no)-Play-Guide!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Maruhon The Ninja striking mechanism

Thanks Drunkenclam, you gave me the key to making quite a bit of progress with the last bit of info. I had concluded that I would have to unscew quite a number of screws to get access behind the glass to the playfield and the front tray as I couldn't see any obvious release from the back. After your comment, I looked harder and could not figure out how the lock interacted with the swing-out catch release. I discovered that with a little persuasion the lock would come out (didn't try hard enough before) and the slide that it controlled was indeed the release for the glass door. The tray release was right where you said it would be and that gave me access to the problem area.

No fluff but a pretty nifty spider's web - cleaned out with a q-tip and as if by magic the drop/striker action became 100%. Previously most or all of the balls would not be launched but just drop into the back.
    Spring force adjustment works correctly and while I haven't figured the touch control (sensitivity?) setting yet it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Your generic description was most helpful in that it matched the Ninja Kageomaru very closely. I estimate the balls at 14 per cubic inch so 6000 would be 430 cubic inches. Looking at the various holding volumes that would be draining the top tray.

Thanks again for the help. The quick answers from you and the other respondents is greatly appreciated.

12. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to junkmail

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks compirate. The picture may be confusing as I staged the photo with a popsicle stick shim to show the striker/drop arms at the time the wire first contacts the drop arm. I believe it is on the correct side as operation is perfect with the timing problem solved. The spring strength control works as you suggest and allows the operating knob to vary between just getting through the gate to reaching the far side with some force.

I got about 150 balls with it and bought another 500 on ebay. While that doesn't go very far towards 5200, it's enough for the smaller payouts for recreational use.

I haven't figured out the sequence yet but I do get a random outburst of lights, bells, sirens and whistles infrequently - no idea of the preceding combination. Now that I have access to the playfield, maybe I can learn some of the formulae.

Thanks again for your comments.

14. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to junkmail

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Moparformances. I did figure out how to open the front glass and release the shooter tray finally and that allowed me to address the timing problem (spiders web). I'll post pix in another message.

Thanks also for the welcome.

16. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to junkmail

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks MrGneiss. I did look over the link you provided briefly and now that my timing problem is solved and I have learned how to open glass-front door I can drop balls to figure out the sequence. The numbered steps should prove quite helpful when I get to that point. If I get it figured out I'll post the sequence.

18. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to junkmail