Thread: Yam/Chipotle Mash

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thumbs up Yam/Chipotle Mash

After three years we deserve another recipe in this sub forum. For those of you that might like yams but are tired of the usual "candied yams" this is an alternative I've been making for several years. It's a good side dish and you can make your own changes to change the flavor to your taste.

Pictured below are the ingredients I use. The bowl contains butternut squash but you can keep it just yams, or substitute the yams with squash or combine them as I do. I don't use measurements when making this.

Peel and chop the yams/squash and cover with water in a pot with a handful of brown sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer for twenty minutes. Put about a cup of heavy cream in a sauce pot and add chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. With about 4-5 yams, one pepper will be quite mild. For mild heat, add at least three, in this dish I add two. Simmer but do not bring to a boil. Chop bacon, fry, and drain.

Using beaters or a mixer, place drained yams into a bowl. Be sure reserve some of the liquid in case it's needed. Butter is optional and can be added. Remove the peppers from the cream and place in a sieve over the cream, mashing them before discarding the peppers. Pour some of the mixture into the yams and mix. Use your best judgement after the yams are blended, add some of the liquid from boiling the yams or more cream to taste. Add the chopped bacon (optional). Salt and pepper to taste.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Hardy har har...

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Yam/Chipotle Mash

Oooh Interesting!!

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."