Thread: Sacrilege? Should i gut this machine?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sacrilege? Should i gut this machine?

https://imgur.com/a/eImpH

i have a nishijin model B "baseball" machine that i was gifted for my birthday! i finally got around to learning how to set it up. i cleaned it and the balls i was gifted thoroughly. its all mechanically sound and free from 30+ years of gunk finally. But whilst inside i see the background is wrecked and super cracked. From what i have read online i would have to pull all the nails to free the plastic sheet the art is on. and then i could redo the background before reapplying the nails. and before all this i would have to make a tool for pulling the nails...

my questions is... is this a bad idea? is it uncouth to do custom background art and redo all the colors etc. or should i just leave it as is. i wouldn't mind it looking 70s if it were fresh and taken care of but since it needs a fresh coat of love on every surface i might as well redo it all, right? or no? what are your thoughts?!

-i dont plan on reselling it.
    -i dont have a particular attachment to baseball.
    -it would seem this machine is farely common and not "expensive" or "rare" (please correct me if im wrong)

labor over the next few months/years isnt a big deal. I just would hate to take it apart and find out i should have never went there in the first place because you cant re apply the nails or something dumb.

Last edited by Triggerscold; 10-19-2017 at 10:31 AM.